“No comparison”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I wanted a bed and breakfast to celebrate our anniversary. I kept finding b and b's that looked like g'ma's house. Then I stumbled on Isobel's Shakespeare Chateau. Oh. My. Goodness. The pictures don't do this mansion justice! We arrived to a very quiet mansion that we were able to walk around freely. Then Isobel, the owner, appeared and she was so kind, sweet and knowledgeable about the mansion, the surrounding mansions and the town. Immediately I felt like I was getting to stay overnight in a museum!! There is so much eye candy in the mansion that I am still processing all I saw. We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet suite and there was nothing, and I mean NO THING we didn't like. Our whole stay we felt like we were staying in a home of our own. I could hardly stop thinking about the history of the mansion, who had lived in the suite before and what all Isobel has done to restore this jewel. Our breakfast was served when we wanted, not too early. We were never disturbed. One of our fav parts of the evening was walking around the mansion barefoot and just looking around, feeling very comfortable and at home but in a mansion unlike any we had ever seen! I know this is a very rambling review, but, wow. I cannot stop thinking about our stay. We WILL be back! Thank you Isobel and staff (one other sweet lady who's name we didn't catch:) for an amazing anniversary!! Can't wait to see you again.

Room Tip: We were not able to tour the other rooms bc they were occupied. But our suite was superb. Immaculate...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

We were so pleased to host you, Michelle, for your anniversary. Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed response - I know other travelers read our posted reviews, and they appreciate your insights.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

What a wonderful way to pass an evening. The mansion is so opulent that you feel as if you are a character in a black and white movie. You know immediately when walking into the house that the whole structure was made with loving details everywhere. Ms. Isobel is a perfect match to this wonderful house. She lovingly tells the history of the mansion and you can see it in her eyes how much she has cared and loved every room. I have been in bed and breakfasts all over this country and can say with assurance that this is my favorite. I'm going back as soon as I can and now have a wonderful getaway to look forward to. Thank you Isobel!

Room Tip: Romeo and Juliet Suite is stunning
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you, Paula, for staying at the Shakespeare. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and was so pleased and surprised to receive the bouquet of flowers you sent the same day you left. We're still enjoying the lovely "Stargazer" lilies in the parlor of the mansion!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

The house is absolutely beautiful with all the stained glass windows, woodwork, fireplaces, tile, etc. Isabel, the owner, gave us a very interesting tour. She really knows her history and is passionate about restoring this old mansion. Both breakfasts we ate there were delicious. She even remembered my husband doesn't like mushrooms and left them out of his meal. She is very gracious and accommodating, letting us choose the time we wanted to eat. My husband and I stayed in the Twelth Night room. The shower was amazing and is made for tall people which is just what I need. The toilet is kind of hidden behind the room door and the door squeaks really bad so we left the door open during the night so it wouldn't wake the spouse up. There is a bright light that shines through one of the windows at night so if you're sensitive to light at night when you're sleeping bring a mask for your eyes. The pillow was a little hard so I woke up with a headache in the morning, but I get frequent headaches so not sure if it was caused by the pillow or not. My husband thought the pillows were fine.

Isabel made us feel very welcome. She is an amazing woman. She is doing much of the restoration herself. She was doing the tedious job of stripping paint off the intricate woodwork of one of the fireplaces. We will definitely be back and would highly recommend this bed and breakfast.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

I was very pleased to host Sue and her friends at the Shakespeare Chateau. Sorry to hear that a light was left on, perhaps in the hallway? I'll be paying close attention to ensure that lights are off at night. Of course, I'm always at the mansion, and my guests are encouraged to call me for any reason but especially if there's anything I can do to enhance their comfort.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I spent a fantastic week-end with another couple at the Shakespeare Chateau Inn & Gardens! Upon our arrival on Friday evening until we left on Sunday morning Isabel was an excellent host! The Shakespeare Chateau is an incredible building. Isabel is doing excellent job in restoring the Shakespeare Chateau to it's Victorian era. The furniture and art work that Isabel has furnished it with is just incredible! Overall, our stay was relaxing and totally enjoyable! Thank you, Isabel!

Stayed: May 2013

Thank you, Nolan, for your visit and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We're always delighted to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay here on Historic Hall Street. I hope you'll be back soon!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a lovely get away with friends for a weekend. The historic house is like a castle. Isabel, the innkeeper, is most gracious and gave us a wonderful tour of the house with the complete history and explanation of all the fabulous details. The rooms are comfortable, the water pressure is good, the temperature control is excellent, and the breakfasts are to die for! This is my first experience staying at a B & B; I highly recommend Shakespeare Chateau Bed and Breakfast.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Sharon and her friends had a great weekend getaway at the Chateau - they visited some favorite Saint Joe destinations and restaurants, enjoyed a play at Robidoux Landing, and played cards in the dining room parlor here in the mansion. I loved hosting this fun group - hope they'll come back again soon!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Decided to stay here for a business trip over the local chain hotels. Amazing architecture and stained glass greet you upon entering, perfect front porch for a relaxing afternoon, delicious and thoughtful breakfasts, and elegantly appointed rooms with free Wi-Fi throughout. A quick drive from Benedictine College or Northwest Missouri State for parents visiting students and within walking distance of downtown St. Joseph restaurants.
I couldn't have asked for more!

Room Tip: Loved the Twelfth Night room - fireplace, stained glass, elegant wallpaper on the ceiling!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

It was my pleasure to meet and host you during your stay here in St. Joseph, Ashley. I wish you the best of luck in your career and hope you'll return to the Shakespeare soon!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

On our way home to St. Louis, my wife and I decided to spend a night in St. Joseph, Mo. after visiting friends in Kansas City.. It was a good decision because we found a delightful restored mansion, run by a hands-on, energetic innkeeper, Isobel. The experience lived up to the positive reviews online, and I think this was one of our best B & B experiences, and we've been doing B & B's for 35 years of so. Sometimes you get a good Inn, and a so-so innkeeper, or else a so-so inn and a good innkeeper. In this case we got an outstanding Inn and an outstanding Innkeeper. The place is beautiful, and she spent quite a long time showing us the house and answering questions, even though she had been doing that all day because the Inn was on a house tour. You get the feeling that you are staying at a relative's house who is genuinely glad to see you.
An added bonus was that we took advantage of the 50% off price to get a room if one is available less than 24 hours from the time you call. I appreciated that Isobel made that offer on her website, instead of putting the onus on the customer to have to ask about discounts. That spoke volumes to me.
All in all, we highly recommend the Shakespeare Chateau Bed and Breakfast, especially for travelers like us who are passing through St. Joseph and want to spend a 1/2 day looking around, and have a really cool overnight experience, (and at half price if you get lucky!)
Phil Hengen
St. Louis, Missouri

Room Tip: They are equally nice...we had the one with a King bed and a jacuzzi tub. Bed was really comfortabl...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you, Phil, for staying at the Shakespeare Chateau, and for your glowing review of the Inn. We are dellighted to know that the comfort of the room pleased you, and that you enjoyed your stay in St. Joseph. I hope you'll consider a return visit the next time you pass this way!