“This place is like a historical museum” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lee's Summit, Missouri
“This place is like a historical museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The house is absolutely beautiful with all the stained glass windows, woodwork, fireplaces, tile, etc. Isabel, the owner, gave us a very interesting tour. She really knows her history and is passionate about restoring this old mansion. Both breakfasts we ate there were delicious. She even remembered my husband doesn't like mushrooms and left them out of his meal. She is very gracious and accommodating, letting us choose the time we wanted to eat. My husband and I stayed in the Twelth Night room. The shower was amazing and is made for tall people which is just what I need. The toilet is kind of hidden behind the room door and the door squeaks really bad so we left the door open during the night so it wouldn't wake the spouse up. There is a bright light that shines through one of the windows at night so if you're sensitive to light at night when you're sleeping bring a mask for your eyes. The pillow was a little hard so I woke up with a headache in the morning, but I get frequent headaches so not sure if it was caused by the pillow or not. My husband thought the pillows were fine.

Isabel made us feel very welcome. She is an amazing woman. She is doing much of the restoration herself. She was doing the tedious job of stripping paint off the intricate woodwork of one of the fireplaces. We will definitely be back and would highly recommend this bed and breakfast.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I was very pleased to host Sue and her friends at the Shakespeare Chateau. Sorry to hear that a light was left on, perhaps in the hallway? I'll be paying close attention to ensure that lights are off at night. Of course, I'm always at the mansion, and my guests are encouraged to call me for any reason but especially if there's anything I can do to enhance their comfort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Independence, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent a fantastic week-end with another couple at the Shakespeare Chateau Inn & Gardens! Upon our arrival on Friday evening until we left on Sunday morning Isabel was an excellent host! The Shakespeare Chateau is an incredible building. Isabel is doing excellent job in restoring the Shakespeare Chateau to it's Victorian era. The furniture and art work that Isabel has furnished it with is just incredible! Overall, our stay was relaxing and totally enjoyable! Thank you, Isabel!

Stayed May 2013
Thank you, Nolan, for your visit and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We're always delighted to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay here on Historic Hall Street. I hope you'll be back soon!
Independence, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a lovely get away with friends for a weekend. The historic house is like a castle. Isabel, the innkeeper, is most gracious and gave us a wonderful tour of the house with the complete history and explanation of all the fabulous details. The rooms are comfortable, the water pressure is good, the temperature control is excellent, and the breakfasts are to die for! This is my first experience staying at a B & B; I highly recommend Shakespeare Chateau Bed and Breakfast.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Sharon and her friends had a great weekend getaway at the Chateau - they visited some favorite Saint Joe destinations and restaurants, enjoyed a play at Robidoux Landing, and played cards in the dining room parlor here in the mansion. I loved hosting this fun group - hope they'll come back again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Decided to stay here for a business trip over the local chain hotels. Amazing architecture and stained glass greet you upon entering, perfect front porch for a relaxing afternoon, delicious and thoughtful breakfasts, and elegantly appointed rooms with free Wi-Fi throughout. A quick drive from Benedictine College or Northwest Missouri State for parents visiting students and within walking distance of downtown St. Joseph restaurants.
I couldn't have asked for more!

Room Tip: Loved the Twelfth Night room - fireplace, stained glass, elegant wallpaper on the ceiling!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
It was my pleasure to meet and host you during your stay here in St. Joseph, Ashley. I wish you the best of luck in your career and hope you'll return to the Shakespeare soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

On our way home to St. Louis, my wife and I decided to spend a night in St. Joseph, Mo. after visiting friends in Kansas City.. It was a good decision because we found a delightful restored mansion, run by a hands-on, energetic innkeeper, Isobel. The experience lived up to the positive reviews online, and I think this was one of our best B & B experiences, and we've been doing B & B's for 35 years of so. Sometimes you get a good Inn, and a so-so innkeeper, or else a so-so inn and a good innkeeper. In this case we got an outstanding Inn and an outstanding Innkeeper. The place is beautiful, and she spent quite a long time showing us the house and answering questions, even though she had been doing that all day because the Inn was on a house tour. You get the feeling that you are staying at a relative's house who is genuinely glad to see you.
An added bonus was that we took advantage of the 50% off price to get a room if one is available less than 24 hours from the time you call. I appreciated that Isobel made that offer on her website, instead of putting the onus on the customer to have to ask about discounts. That spoke volumes to me.
All in all, we highly recommend the Shakespeare Chateau Bed and Breakfast, especially for travelers like us who are passing through St. Joseph and want to spend a 1/2 day looking around, and have a really cool overnight experience, (and at half price if you get lucky!)
Phil Hengen
St. Louis, Missouri

Room Tip: They are equally nice...we had the one with a King bed and a jacuzzi tub. Bed was really comfortabl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you, Phil, for staying at the Shakespeare Chateau, and for your glowing review of the Inn. We are dellighted to know that the comfort of the room pleased you, and that you enjoyed your stay in St. Joseph. I hope you'll consider a return visit the next time you pass this way!
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is one of those "off the beaten path" kind of places that makes you wonder why you would EVER want to stay in a chai hote. The mansion itself is an architectural masterpiece, both inside and out. Isobel the innkeeper has dedicated herself to saving this American cultural treasure, and I'm thankful she is operating it as a B&B so that anyone with similar interests can have a chance to experience a home that is so "over the top" in terms of design and decor, that you have to see it to believe it. Amazing mansion, and comfortable rooms. Makes a perfect excuse for a weekend getaway to explore historic St Joe, and see some of the hundreds of other Victorian era homes and mansions, large and small, that fill this interesting town. Highly recommended. You will never forget it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent return visit, Scott. It's always a pleasure to see you and to visit about the historic mansion homes here in St. Joseph. I hope we'll see you again soon!
Saint Joseph, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

First off, the owner is an extremely wonderful host. Upon our visit we were given an amazing tour of the estate, which showcased it's beautiful woodwork and wonderful stained glassed windows. The rooms are massive and all 3 have their uniqueness to them which adds to the beauty of the mansion. The Sweetheart Package was an amazing deal and the meals were just as wonderful. I honestly don't doubt that I'll be making a return to the Shakespeare Chateau in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful and it's honestly very hard to pick just which one to stay in.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you, Robert, for choosing the Shakespeare Chateau for your getaway! I'm so pleased that you took advantage of our "Sweetheart Package" deal, and that you and Hannah enjoyed your stay. I hope you'll return soon!