“Fantastic Experience”

Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Saint James
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I visited Sybill's for brunch yesterday and ordered Fried Chicken. I recommend this chicken to anyone as it resembled the pan-fried, homemade variety that takes a good deal of preparation. Everything was lovely- from the decor, to the presentation, to the quality of food. Our waitress, Amanda, was timely and answered several questions we posed to her. We were also impressed that the fried chicken included a whole half a chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and a salad for as much as we. Wonderful all around. Thank you.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Sybill's is my new favorite in our neck of the woods! Although it's off the beaten path a bit, in the small town of St. James, MO, it's definitely a treasure! It has elegance, ambience, impeccable service, a gorgeous gift shop and a fantastic menu. It is just the perfect place to celebrate those "Special Days" such as birthdays, anniversaries, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day (we just did!) or casual enough for just a fantastic Friday night out with friends. While some find it a bit on the pricey side, we think it's worth it! The bread pudding w/ rum sauce? AMAZING! You won't be disappointed, give Sybill's a try!

1  Thank tammomof3
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Who would have thought that such an elegant restaurant could be found in the little wide place in the road burg of St. James? Minutes off I-44, Sybill's is an almost-new looking southern mansion with a gorgeous interior and quiet rooms for dining. The hostess seated us immediately, and our waiter was very gracious.The menu was great - plenty of selection - and we really liked the food. But the desserts are even better. Cheesecake with cherries, molten lava cake, and coconut cream pie that was out this world. We also loved the gift shop that was filled with great merchandise at very reasonable prices.

1  Thank I_Notice_Everything
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Sybill's came highly recommended by everyone in this area of wineries and we were tired of days of pub fare so we arrived after hours of carefully controlled (by us) visits to sipping places. It's an intriguing imitation of an old mansion on the inside, with lots of antiques and high ceilings. The menu was a refreshing change and offered a rather eclectic mixture of choices from appetizers like lobster Rangoon and bacon-wrapped scallops to more standard fare like salmon steaks and prime rib. I shared the Rangoon, which though deep fried (too much of this cooking process throughout this area of Missouri) was crisp on the outside, creamy inside, and a tasty starter. We also celebrated with mimosas and Bloody Marys, the latter served with bleu-cheese stuffed olives and your choice of vodkas. There were a few specials, and I chose a "Tuscany pasta," a linguine preparation with artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, and breast of chicken. A huge plate of food, not counting the preceding house salad!

The pasta was a bit beyond al dente but flavorsome, and the various ingredients seemed to meld quite well. The salad, with the house's standard bleu cheese crumble, relied a little too heavily on iceberg lettuce and croutons. Someone else had a beet and goat cheese salad, and the field greens there had more vibrant colors and a none of the heaviness of my salad.

Although I might have been somewhat disappointed with this food at home, it was a pleasant change from the roadie food of the last few days. I regretted having to pass up the tantalizing dessert menu.

A particularly strong quibble: there were several communication gaps in the service, even though the service was friendly and timely. These gaps related to add-ons and prices. My Bloody Mary bill indicated my choice of vodka, and presumably the price was based on that, but there was an add on for the stuffed olives, which were described as if they were a standard part of their recipe. On hearing the initial description of the pasta (sans chicken), I asked "So it's a vegetarian dish," and the waitress responded, "Oh, I'm glad you asked, it comes with chicken." Whe the bill arrived, the olives were $1 extra and the chicken was either $5.50 or $5.95 extra, a thoroughly unpleasant surprise. When we explained our dismay, the waitress quickly arranged to have the extra cost removed, but the fact that these ingredients were undocumented extras without previously identified prices made for an unpleasant sense of shoddy merchandising, unbefitting the very comfortable and attractive ambiance of the establishment. I'd go again, but warily in the manner one enters an automobile showroom. Sybill's, you're good but you could be better!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

The elements are all there. Welcoming hostess, new building with nice dark wood trim on the interior. I kinda expected Paula Dean to pop out, but the choices were not just Old South. There were nice brunch choices on the menu, but some of the execution was just heavy-handed. My beet and goat cheese salad had tiny bits of dressing coated feta crumbles. The beets were tiny chunks hidden in a nice selection of greens. Another in the party enjoyed a huge rib-eye steak. Our waitress was either under-informed (she didn't know how much items cost, eg. dessert prices) or she was just trying to sell more. she tried to upswell every order --do you want stuffed olives? Without noting there were extra charges. The management was quick to remove the extra charges, but it was tacky. The best thing is, is that it is not BBQ and pizza like most places around here.

Been to Sybill's? Share your experiences!