“Good stay, couple issues”
Review of Super 8 St Charles

Super 8 St Charles
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Saint Charles
Illinois
“Good stay, couple issues”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were in town to watch Dr. Zhivegas play at the Bottleneck Blues Bar at Ameristar. Decided to get a last minute room instead of having to drive the hour home late at night. When we called to make reservations, the phone rep. was very nice and helped us to see if we qualified for any discounts. I actually got a military Veterans discount which was nice because it doesn't happen often. But I must say, the few bucks the discount was worth didn't make much of a difference.

The check-in clerk was very nice, telling us about the hotel's amenities as well as informing us that if we chose to eat at Culpepper's next door, we'd get a 10% discount by showing our room key card. The room was typical size for a 2 star hotel and the microwave & fridge are always handy to have. Everything seemed clean in the living area, although the bed sheet did have what appeared to be a couple cigarette burn holes. We were in a non-smoking room, but my guess is those linens at some point came up against a careless smoker.

The cons: The bathroom was disappointing. The toilet lid was up when we got there, so we didn't notice at first, but when we put it down, the top of the lid was absolutely filthy, obvious that it hadn't been cleaned. The housekeeper either didn't bother putting it down to see how dirty it was, or left it up to hide the fact that she skipped it. There were a few small ants crawling around the bathroom, but couldn't tell where they were coming from. There were also some winged insects (looked like small gnats) crawling around in the bathtub. That wasn't very pleasant. A piece of drywall next to the tub had been cut out & patched, very poorly I might add. There were a few small spots of mold on the patch, so my guess is there had been a leak at some point and the patch replaced previous moldy drywall. The existing mold wasn't bad enough to complain, but it still shows there's a problem. The bathroom light worked fine the night we got there, but wouldn't turn on at all the next morning so we informed the gentleman at the front desk when we checked out. He wasn't as friendly as the girl the night before. It's always nice to get a "Thank you for staying," or something like that, but we got nothing. It's those little things that can make a big difference.

They serve a typical continental breakfast, which included toast, waffles (looked to be Eggo type), 2 types of dry cereal and some yogurt. Also had a prepackaged Super 8 cinnamon roll that I do not recommend to anyone, it wasn't good at all.

The price was a little bit more than we've paid at other Super 8's, but not too bad considering it was last minute. The room was very quiet and, other than the bathroom issues, was a good stay. I'm rating the cleanliness low because of the bathroom. Maybe other rooms are better off.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Columbia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I got a great deal and felt it was worth what I spent! Easy check in, clean pool (although a little chilly), clean room, very tidy...The only real complaint I have is a strong urine odor in my room when I arrived. But that's why I bring candles! It easily went away after a little while. Nothing looked unclean, in fact very tidy. Fridge in the room was very nice addition. Breakfast was limited but didn't expect much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family