Tripadvisor
Saint Charles
Post
Inbox
Search

“Hidden gem of main street”

Tompkins by The Rack House
Order Online
Ranked #22 of 303 Restaurants in Saint Charles
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tompkins
Description: Upscale American menu made from-scratch, farm to table produce and meats sourced primarily from local farms, most within 50 miles of our location. Boutique wine list, patio, and a unique event space that holds upwards of 100 guests. Executive Chef Philip Day and Chef de Cuisine Matt Hulme develop a seasonally changing menu, while Sommelier Josh French provides excellent wine pairings and select bottles.
Reviewed August 27, 2019 via mobile

Since we moved from the city to st. Peter's it has been hard to find a restaurant that delivers on taste, quality, and presentation. Tompkins definitely exceeded our expectations! Yes the food did take a little longer to get to our table, but you can tell it was made to order and not just thrown on the plate from a heat lamp. The portion sizes are perfect, designed for you to enjoy an appetizer and main course that let's you leave with enough energy to walk Main street after dinner. I just wish we could find out more about the haunted history. The restaurant was busy so we could not pick his brain. We will be back for sure!

Date of visit: August 2019
notlimah19, Owner at Tompkins by The Rack House, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. If you're in St Peters, our original location (which is a different menu and experience) is in Cottleville... The Rack House Kitchen Wine Whiskey.
Haunted...? Apparently that's what Ghost Hunters thought too when they shot an episode a while back! Who knows??

Write a reviewReviews (225)

Reviewed August 22, 2019 via mobile

We visited Tompkins last night. The food quality and service were great. However, my entree ($24 chicken) was served with a small side, no salad, and just one piece of bread that came later.

Date of visit: August 2019

Thank you for the review and feedback. Most of our meat is sourced locally as is most of our produce. We also make all of our sauces, butter, and bread in house. This does add to the cost to prepare. We very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review, thank you.

Reviewed August 19, 2019

I brought a friend here for lunch and loved the food so much I actually brought my husband back the same day for dinner. Surprisingly the dinner entree was a very small serving of fish with about 2 table spoons of cucumber. I don't mind paying $30.00 for an entree as long as the portion is generous and I get a couple of nice side dishes. But overall the food tasted great!

Date of visit: July 2019

Thank you for the feedback. We take constructive suggestions seriously. Thank you for leaving a review, we appreciate it.

Reviewed August 14, 2019

Had dinner with friends on patio. Server attentive and knowledgeable. Ordered entrees soon after arrival. Delivery of food was slow considering only a handful of tables occupied. But dinner was excellent. Chef uses local sources for his food.

Date of visit: August 2019
notlimah19, Owner at Tompkins by The Rack House, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2019

This is true, we are certainly not the fastest which is primarily due to everything being made from scratch. We do compromise speed for quality and we know there are a lot of people out there, like yourself, who appreciate great food and overall service. Thank you very much for the support and honest feedback.

Reviewed July 12, 2019

My husband and I stopped in here for lunch whie exploring St. Charles' historic district. It is quit pleasant. I had a salad and a glass of lemonade. I really enjoyed them both. My husband also enjoyed his meal. Our waitress, Lori, was quite attentive and provided excellent service. I'd certainly recommend this restaurant.

Date of visit: July 2019
notlimah19, Owner at Tompkins by The Rack House, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We very much appreciate it!