“Breakfast with Santa not worth the money.”

Mother In Law House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mother In Law House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 261 Restaurants in Saint Charles
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tompkins
gms1975
“Breakfast with Santa not worth the money.”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We booked the breakfast with Santa that they were advertising. The flyer said the menu was: Waffles, Eggs, Ham, Fruit, Fresh Baked Blueberry muffin along with juice, milk or tea. The price was $15.00 per child and $18.00 per adult. I thought it would be a buffet for that price. I was wrong. It wasn't a buffet and you didn't even get everything listed on the menu. They delivered our food and he kids each got a single waffle, two apple slices, a third of a banana, lunchmeat style ham and a blueberry muffin. The adults got a few chunks of fruit on top of lettuce, a piece of sausage and egg casserole, and a blueberry muffin. The waffles were cold in the middle and were the tiniest frozen waffles you could get. I expected for what they were charging they would be homemade waffles considering this is a restaurant. How hard is it to handmake waffles and keep them in warmer until needed? They could at least sprung for the higher quality frozen ones.
Santa was really good with the kids, the only saving grace for this breakfast. Overall the experience was not a good one and I will not return to the Mother in Law House again or recommend it.

• Visited December 2012

Springfield, Missouri
“Food good but pricey”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

MIL House has pretty good food but the decor really needs updating. It really looks like something from your grandmother's house when you were a kid. Considering how high the prices are, you'd think they could afford to nice it up a little bit.

They do have an outdoor patio that's great for lunch when the weather is nice. The lunch menu is much more reasonably priced than the dinner menu.

Visited September 2012
Black Mountain, North Carolina
“Server Rude and Bossy!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My daughter and her husband took me there for lunch on Friday, Nov. 7, 2012 around 1:30 in the afternoon. I was visiting them from out of state and they wanted to take me some place nice.

All was well except for the server (middle aged woman) who was abrupt, rude, bossy and did not say one pleasant word to us. After we were there for a short time she came by the table and barked "We're busy. Be patient!". We had not made any indication of being impatient or in a hurry. We were just having a nice visit and talking while trying to enjoy our lunch. And they were not that busy for a Friday lunch. There was no line waiting to get in and there were empty tables.

My son-in-law asked if he could have a half chicken salad sandwich and soup (half tuna sandwich and soup was an item on the menu). She said loudly, "NO". No further explanation or effort. Just NO. So he ordered a whole chicken salad sandwich and soup. This sort of attitude continued throughout our visit. No one else ever checked on us. She continued to slap the food down on the table, speak sharply and act cold and annoyed until we left. Never smiled. No thank-you's.

I don't know how she keeps her job unless she is related to the owner. I do not believe she was just having a "bad day". From her bossy demeanor, this seemed to be her personality and she likely acts this way all the time.

Who knows how the food was. I was so unnerved by the server that I could not enjoy my lunch. I was afraid she was going to correct my manners or issue some other kind of command.

Not going back. If I want abuse I can find it without having to pay for my lunch while suffering.

• Visited November 2012
Denver, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful service and poor quality food”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked a private party on Friday, October 19, 2012 for a bicycle club from Colorado that had just completed riding The Katy Trail. The dinner was planned as a final group activity and celebration of our accomplishment. I had received positive recommendations about the restaurant and was looking forward to a wonderful evening. The experience was awful and the food was terrible. Our group ordered chicken cordon bleu, prime rib, and sole oscar. Every meal was served stone cold by a very unpleasant single waitperson for a group of 42. The prime rib was more like well done chewy pot roast than prime rib and the sole was actually cod with artificial crab meat and limp asparagus and the hollandaise sauce was totally absent. I had asked Bob, the manager, for a piece of coconut cream pie, a specialty at the restaurant and he was very discourteous to me and unwilling to make one piece available for my co-leader who I wanted to surprise with his favorite dessert. I was embarrassed and totally disappointed by the service and the food. I will never go back to this restaurant and I can not recommend Mother In Law House to anyone who wants to host a special event.

1 Thank Chris M
St. Louis, MO
“The Best!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had my daughter's baby shower there, and they were so wonderful. The food was really great too. Would highly recommend going there.

Visited January 2012