“Awful service and poor quality food”

Mother In Law House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mother In Law House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 261 Restaurants in Saint Charles
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tompkins
Denver, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful service and poor quality food”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked a private party on Friday, October 19, 2012 for a bicycle club from Colorado that had just completed riding The Katy Trail. The dinner was planned as a final group activity and celebration of our accomplishment. I had received positive recommendations about the restaurant and was looking forward to a wonderful evening. The experience was awful and the food was terrible. Our group ordered chicken cordon bleu, prime rib, and sole oscar. Every meal was served stone cold by a very unpleasant single waitperson for a group of 42. The prime rib was more like well done chewy pot roast than prime rib and the sole was actually cod with artificial crab meat and limp asparagus and the hollandaise sauce was totally absent. I had asked Bob, the manager, for a piece of coconut cream pie, a specialty at the restaurant and he was very discourteous to me and unwilling to make one piece available for my co-leader who I wanted to surprise with his favorite dessert. I was embarrassed and totally disappointed by the service and the food. I will never go back to this restaurant and I can not recommend Mother In Law House to anyone who wants to host a special event.

1 Thank Chris M

St. Louis, MO
“The Best!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had my daughter's baby shower there, and they were so wonderful. The food was really great too. Would highly recommend going there.

Visited January 2012
Springfield, IL
“Not As Good As I Hoped”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a resaurant I had been wanting to try for many years, but their hours never fit into our dinner schedule. We were finally able to be there for my birthday. I had been intrigued by the amaretto chicken on the menu. It did not live up to what I had hoped. It seemed to be a baked chicken breast with some faintly almond tasting sauce. The server also didn't seem to know that she was supposed to bring some items to our table. We were nearly done with our meals when the owner realized the oversight and corrected it. I'm glad I tried this restaurant but I don't plan to return.

• Visited August 2012
Savannah, GA
“Lots of local flavor”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were staying a few blocks away in a great hotel and asked the front desk for good "local" food. They unhesitatingly recommended Mother in Law House and they were spot on. Great service, including a visit from the owner and good food to boot. What more can you ask?

• Visited August 2012
Lake Saint Louis MO
“Weekday lunch”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The food was excellent, the server was friendly. They are a bit slow so it's really more of a leisurely place to go. I had the salad of the day and it was fresh and delicious. Others had sandwiches that they enjoyed as well.

Visited July 2012