“Beware of microwave reheated food!!”

Miss Aimee B's Tea Cafe & Events
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Miss Aimee B's Tea Room & Gallery is located in an historic home built in 1865. The one of a kind home was built by the Becker Family. The Becker's were amongst one of the first families to settle in St. Charles. Miss Aimee attended Lindenwood College. She graduated in 1908 with a degree in tennis and tea! Miss Aimee loved to entertain. Miss Aimee passed away at the age of 92 in 1984. She left her home and the original furnishings to the St. Charles Historical Soceity.
Columbia, Illinois
“Beware of microwave reheated food!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have frequented this quaint, Victorian tea room numerous times. The atmosphere is pleasant and the decor is reminiscent of a bygone era. While it will not be everyone's cup of tea (think construction workers, firemen and the like), it is none the less, a lovely place for an enjoyable ladies lunch. I make a point of bringing out-of-town guests there for a meal if at all possible during their stay. The soups have always been a favorite of mine, as well as the Waldorf salad, quiche and the baked chicken salad pie (sounds wierd, but is actually surprisingly good). Occasionally on busy days you may have to wait for a table, but I have never had to wait more than a few minutes, and there is the gift shop upstairs to keep you busy while waiting. The servers have always been knowledgable about the menu, and served promptly and efficiently, and the portions are fair for the price.

That said, my most recent experience was a bit different from my previous visits. After picking up my mother from the airport, we decided to stop for lunch on our way home. The 3 cheese focaccia chicken sandwich sounded particularily appealing, touting grilled chicken breast, roasted red peppers, and a cream cheese pesto spread. I decided to go with the half sandwich combo with the soup of the day and my mother ordered the full sandwich. The soup was delicious as usual, but I must say we were sorely disappointed by the sandwich. While the flavor of the individual components was wonderful, the overall texture and presentation were dreadful. Had this sandwich been heated open-faced under a broiler it would have been phenomenal, however it wasn't. Instead of being toasted and lovely, it was nuked in a microwave, making the bread roll terribly chewy on top and disgustingly soggy on the bottom, the cheese overly melted and stringy, and the onions limp and lifeless. I had to use knife and fork because the bread was so soggy that my fingers squished right through the bottom, making it impossible to eat like a sandwich. Thankfully, I had only ordered the half sandwich combo, and was able to enjoy the delicious potato soup.

Normally I am not much of a dessert eater since I seem to have been born without the proverbial sweet tooth, however with peaches now in season, I was intrigued by the "my neighbor's peach bomb." It sounded fresh, delicious and not overly sweet since it was described as a whole peach wrapped in pie crust and baked. However, what the menu fails to mention is that it was previously baked ahead, and then reheated in the ... you guessed it.... microwave. The presentation was lovely; a large, peach-filled pastry orb with a decorative pastry leaf on top, served in a glass bowl and surrounded by 4 piped swirls of whipped cream. Unfortunately, looks can be decieving. Expecting a crispy pie crust exterior, I was disgusted by the gummy globs of "crust" that clung to my fork at first touch. Having already plodded my way through the previously mentioned microwaved sandwich, I was not prepared to consume a foul-textured, nuked dessert. Now please don't get me wrong. I have a microwave. I use my microwave. I love my microwave...for reheating coffee, tea and leftovers. Some soups, sauces etc. can be successfully heated in a microwave without affecting the taste and texture. But other than that, in my opinion, microwaves should never be a main appliance in a commercial restaurant kitchen; especially one charging $6.00 for a dessert or $10.50 for a sandwich.

To my server's credit, she immediatly noticed my disapointment and took it off the bill and back to the kitchen.

Dispite today's disappointing lunch, I will still frequent Aimee B's. I will however avoid any menu items that are susceptable to being microwaved, and stick to the dishes I mentioned in my first paragraph. Alas, because of their ubiquitous usage of the microwave, I cannot in good conscience give them more than 3 stars.

To the owners: Do your customers and your business a favor and please move the microwave to the break room and invest in a broiler, salamander or panini press!

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank CookiesFTW

Saint Charles, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Tea Room”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

They have very good food, always home made, soups that make you want to try cooking, desserts that are fresh every day. There is a gift shop upstairs, don't miss it.

• Visited October 2011
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Plan a special day with friends and stop here”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Quaint little place that offers women a get-away close to home. It really seems like you are somewhere else and some other time in history. Wonderful place to take your Mom or get together with sisters.

Negril, Jamaica
“A great place for Ladies”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I just finished lunch at Aimee B's. My self and two other ladies ordered different items from the lunch menu. We all enjoyed the food and thought it was good in every aspect. The price was abit on the high side but we thouhgt it was okay for an occassional meal. I ordered the Chai tea not realizing that it has milk in it (as the lemonade does) and I would have preferred to be asked it I would have liked it with or without milk. It still tasted ok but I won't order that again.
We found the establisment to be friendly and relaxing even though they were quite busy. And YES the peach bomb is heavenly!

• Visited June 2012
St. Louis
“prices too high”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

food is good--portions keep getting smaller--prices are high

Visited September 2011