“Meat quality lacking”

Tucanos Brazilian Grill
Ranked #10 of 259 Restaurants in Saint Charles
Cuisines: Brazilian, South American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Springfield, Missouri
“Meat quality lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Today was my first visit. Luckily we got there at 11:30 so didn't have any kind of wait for the meat service. By the time we left, the restaurant was pretty crowded and it appeared there was somewhat of a wait to get meats. Having said that, the meat quality, like others have said, is not the best. Additionally, we were not given a choice as to the doneness of our meat. I like my meat cooked medium and everything I had was well done.

I was very surprised to find out that the lunch prices are only good Monday through Friday. So, since we went on Saturday, I thought $21 was too much for lunch. I wouldn't have wanted to pay that much for dinner either, given the quality of the meat. Surprisingly, they aren't even open on Sunday, but will be for Mothers Day. Of course, that weekend their prices will be even higher.

This was a unique experience. Glad I tried it, once.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Krim

Kansas City, Missouri
“Pretty disappointed compared to other Brazilian steakhouses”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I took a group of 4 out for lunch for a business meal. I've been to several of these and have always had a great meal and great time, although this was the first time doing lunch. First, the service was not very good at all. Place was maybe 60% full, but it was a good wait before we saw a waiter or even had water. Drink order was messed up. Salad bar area was good with plenty of unique and flavorful choices. The meat choices were few and far between. When the servers came by they rarely had enough on the skewers for all 4 of us, and there were only 4 meat choices total, and only 2 of them came by more than once. The servers were mainly inexperienced which made it awkward for a business lunch, because they were struggling to cut the servings off. Very poor service for a higher end establishment. they were out of one type of soft drink completely. Waiter seemed confused when he brought me the bill on 4 tickets and I asked if I could have one bill since I was paying. Very slow service on drink refills. We were well into the meat entrees before they even came to get salad plates cleared. Not sure if this location is newly opened or not, but compared to the others I've been to, this one is in dire need of improvement. Very disappointed to pay that much for a meal and have such a poor experience.

• Visited April 2013
Missouri
“Good Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

There seems to be a lot of variation in what people think of this place. I really can't complain as we had a very good experience. We went on a Thursday night. I called around 6 to inquire if there were any openings and was given a 7:30 time slot. I think reservations are a good idea for this place. There was a good 30 minute wait for people who just walked in, but i hear it can be much longer. In any case, we walked in right at 7:30 and were immediately taken to our table. Our waiter was in training, so we also had his trainer helping him out somewhat. We were greeted immediately and our drink order was taken quickly. We were given a quick explanation of how this place worked and then directed towards the salad bar area.

You have a lot of choices. I think someone commented these are all prepackaged salads you can get at the grocery. I must disagree. Certainly there were a few things which may have been prepackaged, but probably 90 percent is not. There were some items on this salad bar I have never seen elsewhere - quail eggs in particular were unique to me. I tried several small portions of items. My favorites off the salad bar area were the lobster bisque and i did like the mango crab sushi (yes i know buffet sushi.. but it was good). I do have one negative- the roll i grabbed was rock hard - like it had set out too long. I only took one bite and then left the rest.

In regards to the meats, the servers were quick. When we first requested some of the meats We had no sooner turned our marker to green for when someone walked up (literally like 5 seconds). i think the longest we waited for meats was maybe 2 minutes. We did try maybe 6 or 7 meat items. I wanted to try more, but was too full - lets see we tried rare cut of beef, teriyaki beef, bacon wrapped sirloin, rosemary pork, some sort of sausage, bacon wrapped turkey, and a chicken heart. the rare beef was my favorite. also people - the chicken heart is not scary to try -it tastes like a chicken thigh that has been cooked a little to long.

Food was very good overall. I also felt service was very good. Everything appeared clean and well taken care of. Cost for 2 was a little over 50 (We had a coupon which brought it down a bit). In general, this is a little more than we may typically spend on a night out, but I didn't feel it was outrageous. I would definitely make a point to come again.

Visited April 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Waited way too long for the meats to come out......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

The salad bar was great and that is really about it...... We ate there twice in a month THINKING that the first time they were just busy and the problem we had was just a one time thing...... after the salad we turn the Cue to Green and waited.. and waited... and waited...... OH we saw others being waited on.... the girl pouring drinks came by and asked if we were being served..... we told her we're still waiting....... it took almost 2 hours for our "meat server" ( just one guy) to bring out MOST of what they had..... when asked if we had a favorite that we wanted brought out again we told him....... well, THAT never came back out again..... We also told him in the beginning we liked our meats cooked "Medium"....... Most of it came out well done.... ruins a filet in a second!

• Visited March 2013
Saint Charles, Missouri
“A fun evening”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Went to Tucanos with our two college aged sons. Reservations are recommended, because the place is new and usually packed. Great atmosphere, and the service is very attentive, responsive, clean cut, and friendly. Our server Mike was outstanding. The salad bar had a good selection of hot and cold foods, including some rare items, like quail eggs. The stroganoff on the bar was very tasty. The lobster bisque wasn't the best I've ever had, but since I used to live in Boston, I know that it was still a good attempt. The meat selection was fine. I was surprised that there wasn't a chicken breast selection. The meat comes frequently, so you won't leave hungry. The price is reasonable. In fact, they could probably charge $24.95 instead of $20.95, which would allow the meat quality to be a bit better. This is a good Restaurant choice for a fun time, but not where I would go if I want a great steak.