“Enjoyable Evening”
Review of Salt + Smoke

Salt + Smoke
Ranked #49 of 299 Restaurants in Saint Charles
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stopped in here with friends after a 28 mile paddle on the Missouri. Loved the smoked chicken and classic American sides. Among the five of us, we probably tried them all. The popover included with every dish was delightfully crispy on the outside and light on the inside. We especially liked the casual outdoor atmosphere and the friendliness of the servers. Food came out fast and hot. Good beer and cocktail selection too.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (44)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our party of 3 arrived about 7ish on a Saturday night, so it was busy. The host said wait time would be 15-20 minutes and that was fine. It was a nice surprise when they called after only 10 min with a table for us - great! A hostess gets us to our table with menus and we are impressed with the atmosphere, the food on the other tables looks good but things went sideways at that point. We perused the menu and waited, and waited, and waited...... at about the 10 minute mark we began to get irritated - that is 10 minutes of sitting there with no one coming to our table, not to get drink orders or even check in to say "hey, I'll be a minute". At about the 15 minute mark the waiter did pop by and give us the I'll be right with you line so we thought ok - it won't be long now. However, when it hits 20 minutes and he never has come back, still no drinks, still no service you are no longer getting irritated, you are already there! We were getting ready to leave when he rushes over and asks if we know what we want - YeS, we want to talk to the manager! As we are talking to one of the managers he brings waters over and slides them in front of us, like that is going to suddenly smooth things over. At that point we have been seated for 30 minutes, not there for 30 minutes but actually at our table seated for 30 minutes. The manager offered to comp our meal but I don't eat somewhere that I have just complained about and when we declined she became a bit miffed. Really! We didn't call her over to get free food, we thought she might want to know what kind of service her establishment was giving.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Ate outside on the patio, nice atmosphere. I was with 5 others, 2 had eaten there before. I will only comment on what I ate. I had a combo, pulled chicken and pulled pork with the white cheddar mac n cheese and sweet potato chips. The pulled chicken was spot on. It was moist and had a nice flavor, not too smoky. The mac n cheese was very good. There was crushed crackers on the bottom of the dish which gave it some texture. Nice taste and creamy, highly recommend. Now, while I like smoked meat, I am very picky. The pulled pork was moist and tender. It did not need any bar bq sauce. it was a tad smoky for me, but the others that had it, they did not have a problem with it.

Our server was fantastic. She was very attentive and very nice. At one point a friend had the bar bq bottle explode all over his pulled pork. She brought him out more pork, for free, so he did not have to eat the drenched meat. I give her a double thumbs up. Can't remember her name (forgetful that way) but she was from Ethiopia and her accent was awesome.

Reviewed September 9, 2019 via mobile

Had dinner at Salt + Smoke while in town. The brisket and Mac n cheese very good. Fries and ravioli average. Would eat here again

Reviewed September 8, 2019

Went to Salt + Smoke in August. Ate outdoors and was a really relaxing dining experience. The food was great - had the pulled pork and can't wait to go back. The fries were awesome too! Service was great as well.

Date of visit: August 2019