“Nice Quiet Room, TERRIBLE SERVICE!!”

Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Saint Charles
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Very beautiful rooms and very quiet. Probably the best sleep I have had in a hotel. I did not hear anything the whole night. I did not hear anyone in the hall or anything next door. That never happens at a hotel! Rooms are spacious and clean. The bathroom is awesome with a TV and very spacious. Bed is comfy and huge!!

Service is less to be desired.

1. The pool has no beverage service AT ALL. I had to walk in my bathing suit to the casino/restaurant to purchase a beer. You should not have to do this when paying this much to stay here.

2. I booked a spa treatment for my wife a few days in advance. I booked a Pedicure & Manicure. My wife did not want the manicure when we checked in at 1:00pm. She called down to the spa and wanted to cancel the manicure but keep the pedicure. She was told NO and my credit card was going to be charged for it even if she did not get it. SHAME ON YOU AMERISTAR. We called 3 and a half hours in advance and she wanted to keep the pedicure.

3. I have had better front desk service at a Motel 6 and good luck finding a bell hop.

The casino is a fun time but you wont win any money. I also do not like how they charge $4.00 for a beer in the casino while you are playing games.

Over all, its a quite expensive trip if you are looking to get away for the weekend. I would rather stay at the Casino Queen or some place else.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Ameristar-Hotel-Mgmt, Front Office Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Ensuring outstanding service remains one of our top priorities. While we are happy that you enjoyed your room, we are sorry that your service experience did not meet your expectations. Please know that your opinions are very important to us, and we will utilize it to evaluate our all of our guest experiences going forward. Again, we are sorry for any inconveniences that you may have experienced and we hope that you will give us an opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.The quality is high on everthing.
Their is know where else in St. Louis or St Charles that I would
stay. The designers of this hotel out did anything that I have
ever seen. Best Hotel Ever!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

We are thrilled that we met your expectations and you enjoyed yourself during your stay with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

I was traveling home to St. Louis for the holidays, and my mom, as a special treat, booked the Ameristar using her points. Two reservations were required by them - one for the 2 comped nights, and one for the paid night. Without a doubt, the rooms are gorgeous! Very beautiful and impressive. Things started to go wrong when I arrived in my room and could not find the light switches for the bedside lamps. I called the front desk, and was told 'the base of the lamp" (not) and then the top of the base (not). The snippy clerk told me that she would send housekeeping..... By the time housekeeping arrived, I had located the switched on the cord itself. At about 8pm of the first night, it became loudly apparent that the room across the hall was having a very loud and large party. The door opened and banged closed (complete with the hostess squealing with delight at the arrival of each and every guest) no less than 20 times in an hour. The party-ers had also stolen a hotel wheelchair and were running and wheeling people up and down the hall. I called the front desk, and they sent security to request quiet. I was forced to sleep with earplugs that night. When I woke up the next morning, the across-the-hall party-ers had taken all the leftover food from room service trays and smeared it all over the floors and hallways. A very large dollop of sour cream was right outside my door on the carpeting, and I could clearly see and smell salsa, cheese, and other condiments throughout the hallway.

I departed that morning to spend time with my family on Christmas Eve Day. When I returned, it was past midnight, and I noticed that the maid had cleaned the in-room coffee supplies, but had not replaced anything.... no coffee.... no creamer, etc. I called the front desk to request some, and was told that housekeeping was gone for the day. I asked if I could come downstairs and get what I needed for the morning. Again, my request was denied - b/c housekeeping was 'gone for the day'. I requested that the front desk might let housekeeping know what I needed so that it could be outside my door in the morning (complete with the same liquid creamer that I had used that morning), and I was informed that I would have to call housekeeping myself in the morning, and that the hotel did not and had never used liquid creamer, but that I could go down to the lobby bakery in the morning if I wanted it. I assured her that I had used that very creamer from my room that morning, and she assured me that it was IMPOSSIBLE.

I went to bed feeling not so great about the hotel service and their level of training. After a totally crappy night's sleep the night before, imagine my dismay when the alarm clock -- which I had NEVER TOUCHED -- went off at 5:08am -- accidentally set by the housekeeper. I tried to get back to sleep, but could not. I would have gotten up to have coffee -- but THERE WAS NO COFFEE. At 8am I heard the housekeeper in the hall, and left my room to request coffee, liquid creamer (which she did indeed have on her cart) and sweetener. Merry Christmas.

On my way out to spend Christmas Day with my family, I stopped at the front desk to explain my 'difficulties'. Ryan, the extremely nice manager, listened calmly and comped my final night. He was the bright spot of my stay and the hotel itself.

I returned that night late and tired. After trekking to my room with my purse and bags, I discovered that my room key no longer worked. I trekked back downstairs to have it re-activated. I opened the door to my room to find that it had not been cleaned at all. The wet towels were on the bathroom floor, and the smell of wet, stale coffee filled the room. I called the front desk to inform them, and was told that I would have needed to 'specifically request' that my room be cleaned. INSANE! Do they even train these people at all????? My room was certainly cleaned the previous days WITHOUT any request, b/c that is how it is done at hotels. Clearly, the hotel has not yet figured out how to combine the two reservations that THEY required... so they thought the room was empty and had cut off the key......

Within 15 minutes, the night manager appeared at my door, accompanied by a security guard. Really? Really? He listened -- and my primary complaint this time was a stupid front desk clerk that thinks you have to REQUEST that your room be cleaned. He kindly asked if I needed anything. I assured him that I did not, and that I would not be gracing the front door of his hotel ever again after I checked out the next day.

Beautiful rooms. Great location. Untrained and non-service-oriented people at the front desk. Special thanks to Ryan.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank sesmith9

At Ameristar, it is our goal to provide the very best in Guest service. We are sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We sincerely thank you for the feedback that you have provided. Please know that we will use it to fully evaluate our level of service so that we can ensure that your next visit is a great one. We hope that you will visit with us again soon so that we can make your next experience the very best that it can be.

Reviewed December 16, 2010

Had a really good time and rooms are very nice- only thing that was terrible was only 3 small pillows on the bed and they were terrible.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ameristar-Hotel-Mgmt, Front Office Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2010

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you had a good time during your stay with us. We do apologize that the pillows did not meet your satisfaction. Our goal is ensure every Guest enjoys a comfortable visit. We will use your feedback to evaluate the comfort of our beds.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed November 19, 2010

Had the pleasure of staying two nights at the Ameristar. The room was spacious and the bathroom was off da chain! The spa was very nice, basically had it to ourselves.

Two recommendations: 24 hour room service would have been great and the concierge needs FULL use of the interent (I wanted to check an entertainment listing, but the hotel has it blocked to restrict employees' usage).

Shout out to my boy from Oakland...thanks for your help!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. We are very proud of our Four Diamond facility and appreciate your great feedback about our property. We will review your recommendations and use the information to evaluate the level of Guest services we offer.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed November 19, 2010

We stay at this all-suite hotel whenever we take a short trip to the St. Louis area to go to a casino. The reception desk employees are always very helpful and the room is always very clean. The surroundings are high quality. Most of the views from all of the rooms either overlook the bridge and river or the city of St. Charles. It is close to the charming St. Charles downtown area and a Bass Pro Shop. Although a car would be necessary for either. It has easy access on and off Highway 70. We usually don't win at the casino; but the rooms are always first class.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C00kie1959

We appreciate your comments posted on Trip Advisor. Our guests are our top priority and we are thrilled your expectations have been consistently met. St. Charles area is a quaint historic town with lots to do and see. It is especially charming during the holidays. The streets are decorated and there are plenty of holiday sights and smells. We hope you can visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2010

The hotels at the Ameristar are unbelievable! I had a basic room with a HUGE bathroom, bedroom, and sitting area. The beds were SO comfortable and the views are good no matter which side of the hotel you stay on - either a river view or a hotel/courtyard view. The rooms are so spacious and were very clean. Really enjoyed the TV in the bathroom. I was super impressed at how large the basic rooms were. The only downside is the smoking that is allowed in the casino which seeps out into the common walkways and conference center - but, luckily, this is completely separate from the hotel. Great stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
#14 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis St. Charles
Comfort Suites St.Charles - St.Louis
Best Western Plus The Charles Hotel

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles? Share your experiences!