“Relax in style” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Saint Charles
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Relax in style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have to say that of all the hotels in our area this is the best!
Even though we only live about ten minutes away from it, if I want a relaxing night to myself I stay at the Ameristar as a treat. The suits are lovely with marble bathrooms that have a large bath with a separate shower unit from which you can watch a flat screen tv.
The bedroom area is roomy and again a flat screen tv. Then you have a lower level sitting area, some of which overlook the river and has a tv.
The pool area is the best. You have a large heated indoor/outdoor pool and a hot tub inside and one outside. So nice to swim on your back looking up at the sky and its snowing!!!
If I am really treating my self they have a wonderful spa where you can have just about any treatment from nails to message.
I stay here a least a couple of times a year and love it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank bridgette l
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Always a good thing when you can treat yourself, we all need that sometimes. Thank you for sharing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was our second stay at Ameristar. We requested the same room on the 15th floor. Room was large, 2 queen beds plus a sunken living room with sofa, chair, table and chairs. Room was clean and had a microwave and refrigerator. View was great. Check-in was efficiently and courteously handled.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Joseph R B
We really appreciate your stay with us Joesph! I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience with us enjoying those perks that come along with our rooms. Hopefully soon, we can look forward to seeing you again. Thanks so much for being our guest and for sharing your review.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Was in St Louis visiting colleges and decided to try the Ameristar for one night. Have been to Vegas many times along with a few non-LV casinos and I was pleasantly surprised at the Ameristar St Charles.

First of all, the hotel itself was really top notch. I had a Deluxe King Suite and it was surprisingly spacious, clean, nice bathroom amenities, two TVs. It was not very crowded so check in took no longer than 5 mins, bed was comfortable. Did not have much more interaction with staff but seemed courteous enough.

The casino itself was ok, Smoking always a problem but that's just how casinos are. Was glad to see there were more than just one or two crap tables since that is what I play mostly. Of course they try to replicate the Vegas casino feel but the attempts fall short without the size and scale of the Wynn, Bellagio, MGM etc. The dealers were all polite, efficient and friendly which is important for the overall gaming experience. For a local casino I was decently pleased overall and would probably stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank dw732
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
We're so happy to hear you had such a great stay with us! Thanks for sharing your review and for being our guest. We look forward to seeing you next time, hopefully soon :)
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I booked a king non-smoking room the morning of my stay. Upon arriving about 8 hours later, they only had (2) queen non-smoking rooms. I did not mind since I was by myself on business. I could see this being more of a problem if circumstances were different.

The rooms are very much like the Venetian rooms in Vegas. The bathroom has a separate shower and tub, two sinks, television and small room for the water closet. You then step into the bed area with dresser and television. Past the beds you step down into a living room area with couch, extra seating, and another television. The décor is dark and modern with a very relaxing feel.

Not all of the restaurants are open every evening. After a little bit of gambling, the buffet and sports bar were my only options. I chose the buffet for speed and was pleasantly surprised. Even though it was near closing and most of the food was likely prepared hours before, it all was fresh, visually appetizing and well prepared. I do not usually partake in buffets but enjoyed this one.

I pretty much played craps most of the evening so I cannot comment on the other gaming. It is a very large casino. They offered 10X odds which is much better than most Vegas casinos. I did manage to find one $5 minimum table with another $10 minimum regular table and $10 minimum crap-less table. I live in Kansas City and know that Missouri allows smoking in their casinos. There appears to be more people that enjoy smoking in St. Louis. It did bother me most of the evening.

If I weren't traveling alone, there was and indoor and outdoor pool, arcade and spa that would interest my family. I am not sure I would bring them here just from the smoke and the possibility of a room reassignment. The rooms are very nice but a little on the pricey side.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PeacefulGlob
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We chose this hotel based on reviews from various websites and we were disappointed to say the least. Upon arrival, we were crunched for time and had an appointment at the spa. I explained this to the valet and asked what was the fastest way to park so we could make our appointment. He talked for what seemed like 5 minutes, trying to be helpful but in the end, just ended up taking the car and parking it for us. We ended up having to grab our own bags. We ran in to drop them off at the check in with the hope of picking them up after the appointment and completing the check in process then.

The attendant basically made us go through the check in process which obviously took longer. We had asked for a river view room, towards the end of the hall, preferably away from people because we have small kids and didn't want them to wake up when folks come back from a late night out. Based on our request, she first tried to give us a room on the same floor as the pool/spa/gym (obviously that would have been noisy and busy) but then thought a better idea was to give us a pool view room 2 doors from the elevator a couple stories up.

We then went back and asked if we could switch rooms for the very same reasons we mentioned. This time speaking to a different person. We did ultimately get a room that met our requested qualifications. The rooms themselves seemed decently appointed and had enough space in the 2 queen room for a family of 4. However, unfortunately not very clean. My wife literally had to walk to the house keeping cart that was coming down the hall, took some supplies, brought them back to our room to clean the dust rhinos, hair, pieces of an old brush, etc. off the floor. All the while, the house keeping staff was yelling at my wife to come back with their stuff. Really, did you think she was going to try to steal your mop in front of you, while staying as a guest in the hotel? Instead, you could have offered to rectify the situation. Day 3, I killed a roach off the window...really, 20+ stories up, a roach.

Went to use the pool. The card reader didn't work so the person nearest to the door kept having to get out of the pool to let people in. Could have been left open, could have set a pool attendant, could have fixed the card reader, etc. While it was a nice size and did have a hot tub area that seated several people, it was an indoor/outdoor pool. Essentially, there was supposed to be several plastic pieces that hung as a curtain covering a connection from inside to outside. Had all the pieces of plastic been intact, I'm sure this would have been much more effected at preventing 30 degree air from blowing in every time someone opened the door. Despite that, the water was a decent temp. The pool was 4 feet deep which isn't exactly friendly for small kids.

On check out, we mentioned some of the disappointments we had during our stay and for our trouble, they offered to pay for breakfast as we were leaving after 10AM. If you read our review of the Falcon Diner, you can imagine my response. Considering how much we paid to stay there, that it was allegedly a 4 star hotel and that our experience was sub par to say the least, I would have expected them to offer at least one of our nights free or something that was more of a substantial gesture than the empty offer of breakfast after we had already checked out and it was almost time for lunch. By the way, 3 of the 4 restaurants are closed on Sunday and Monday (and for breakfast). Not that it mattered because we left the hotel to eat but having stayed at other similar hotels, it was not something we thought we needed to ask about when booking our reservation.

After sharing our experience with other friends that have stayed in the area, we will not be going back there; nor will be recommend it to any of our friends. I've had much better stays at much lower rated hotels. They should be embarrassed to charge that much for that kind of experience.

By the way, in case you were traveling from out of state and weren't aware, people can smoke indoors in Missouri hotels, restaurants, etc. so you may want to keep that in mind as you make your travel plans. It's been a while since I had to request a non-smoking table or room. I never realized how pleasant it was to be in a smoke free environment until I was exposed to the smoke again rolling my kids in their stroller through the lobby/hallway/restaurants of the hotel.

2 Thank J T
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We came here after leaving another casino hotel on the same short trip. The room was beautiful, very roomy, even for a family of 5. The only issue we had is that we came with a family of five and booked a double bed room. When my husband got to the front desk, the lady said she was out of double beds but would see what she could do. Because the room was booked under my name, my husband came to the car to be with the kids and sent me in. The lady told me that we were being set up in a King room and was sending a cot up. I asked if she had talked to my husband about this and if he was ok with it and she said yes.

When I went to get the rest of my family to head up to the room, he said that the lady had told him she would see what she could do about getting us two beds, not that she was going to send a cot up to the room. It ended up working since our youngest is a baby and was able to sleep in our pack n' play. One kid slept on the cot and the other slept on the couch. This was the only disappointing part of our stay.

When we got to our room, maintenance was setting the cot up. We asked for another but he said he only had three in the whole hotel and couldn't bring more. He was very friendly and brought more blankets and pillows up however.

The pool was very nice. I'd love to visit in the summer time when the outdoor pool is open. The pool is part indoor, part outdoor, with a large hot tub that most people stayed in. We did get in the cold pool but not for long, it was still pretty cold even though it was indoors!

The location was great - we took the kids to Dave & Buster's, which was the next exit down. If traveling adults only though, the downtown St. Charles area is very charming. I would love to spend time in this area someday.

1 Thank LaceyJ59
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Nice casino visited on my Birthday they give you a big set of beads. Grabbed something to eat at Ameristar sports bar good food and lots of big screens great for watching NCAA games. Did not stay at the Hotel only visited the Casino.

1 Thank RayG2U
Comfort Suites
#6 of 20 in Saint Charles
4.0 of 5 stars 157 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Charles Hotel

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles? Share your experiences!