“Great food!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Went there for lunch. My husband had the all star burger which is like a horseshoe and it was awesome. I had the chicken sandwich which was really moist and good. The breading on the chicken was very tasty. A must go place in the area. Everyone is friendly. Seating is limited. They have a smoking and non smoking section.

There are newer reviews for Cookin' From Scratch

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We read the reviews and decided to try it. The previous reviewer's experience must have been a bad luck fluke. We both had the chicken special (2 pieces to save room for dessert). We asked for dark meat and got it. The cornbread was good, but not ravably fantastic. There was a good selection of sides.

Then...dessert! They have a very wide selection. We opted for two that neither of us had eaten before: Grandpa's Raisin Pie and Pumpkin Bread Pudding. The pie is a butterscotch-based cream with raisins and meringue--a real winner! The bread pudding was also very good, and the serving was so big I took half for a bedtime snack.

The decor is country--tools, etc., very nicely done.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We made an hour and half drive to eat here, and the chicken was okay, but the mashed potatoes were horrible, they had a huge raw hunk in the middle, not just your little lumpy potato, but the most part was uncooked and sitting in the middle, this was not just one plate either.
If you are going to claim home style cooking then I suggest you make sure what you serve is fully cooked...sorry to say I think this place is totally hyped up.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

If traveling on I-44, take exit 179 (Doolittle and Newburg) and stop at this restaurant. It is attached to a gas/convience store and it's worth stopping. Cookin from Scratch was featured in Rural Missourian a few years back and since reading the article I always wanted to try it. It's known for the home cooked meals and homemade desserts.

My husband and I had the pan fried chicken that was served with homemade mashed potatoes and gravy. With a dinner you also get to choose your sides and get a fresh baked roll or texas toast. We also ordered their deep fried pickles.The food was very good as was the service and since we live within 20 miles of the place, we plan to go back when traveling to Rolla.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

(4 adults $34 plus tip) I have heard about this place from a few people and the results are... Good chicken... amazing cornbread... real butter... If your headed down I-44 and looking for a change from the chain fast food places Cookin From Scratch is a welcome relief... For the same price (or less) than an average Hardees meal you can sit down and relax... The chicken was pretty good (white meat ok... dark meat pretty good) The baked potato was a bit dry and was rather plain for a "loaded" potato... Corn bread was AMAZING... warm slightly sweet thick. Service was good... I would recommend this place to others and I would go back

Been to Cookin' From Scratch? Share your experiences!