“Better choices closer to I-44”

Rustic Motel of Rolla
Ranked #1 of 2 Rolla B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was helping some friends move from Marshall, Illinois to OKC...we got off to a late start and decided to at least get past St. Louis before we stopped for the night. My friend looked up hotels online and found the Rustic Motel advertising rooms for $35/night (http://secure.rezserver.com/hotel/?refid=2551&rs_hid=18069004). Unfortunately, the rates were considerably higher when we arrived.

We didn't have the energy to continue our search for rooms, so we paid what was charged. For a pet-friendly room with two double beds, the cost was $66.50. For a room with a king-sized bed, the cost was...$66.50. Go figure.

The heaters in the room lacked a thermostat shut-off function, so you could either freeze, or roast. Your choice.

Additionally, the shower curtain had mold on the bottom. Ewww.

Don't bother driving into Rolla for this place. There are better choices at comparable prices at the chain hotels.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank USAF_IDMT
rusticmotel, Owner at Rustic Motel of Rolla, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

We thank you for the review. You were made aware that the room with 2 double beds was priced at $49.99 and since you had 2 dogs with you , we charged you $5.00 pet fee for each dog and that brought your room rate to $59.99 and we added tax of $6.51 giving a total amount of $66.50. And the price for the King Bed was $59.99 + tax came to $66.50. And you had requested ground floor rooms which carry a "premium" price than $35.00 rate.
We are sorry that you found the Air Conditioning not operating to your liking but they do have thermostats.
We apologize for the mold at the bottom of the lining of the shower curtain. Needless to say we have replaced them.
Our policy is to please all our guests and are really very sorry that you were not happy with the price and the room amenities.
If ever you are passing through Rolla in the future please stop by and we will accommodate you Free of Charge.
Bob Desai
Owner

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Unfortunately, my ministry travel has not taken me by way of Rolla recently. I miss my little home away from home, and the outstanding hosts Bob and Vina Desai. The hosts do indeed go out of their way to make a weary traveler feel as if they are guests in the personal home of Bob and Vina. The owners/managers are to be commended for being very hospitable and friendly hosts, and for providing great lodging value -- very pleasant, spacious, and clean rooms at a rate that even a poor old member of the clergy can afford.
Brother Bill, Shepherd's Assistant, Nazarean Missions - moreableinc.org

Room Tip: Never had a bad room here.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rev Bill C
rusticmotel, Owner at Rustic Motel of Rolla, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

What a pleasant surprise to read your review of our little family owned motel. During this festive season your comments have brought cheer to our lives. We have now completed 10years of owning the Rustic Motel and promise to continue our efforts to make every guest as though they've come to our home. We think its this policy that has kept us in business for the past 10years. Thank you.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

This motel is a throwback to the old school mom and pop motels of the 60s and 70s. It looks like it too. Not much to look at. The room was average, with a kind of homey feel to it. A number of items located in the rooms that you wouldn't expect, but you might see in someone's house. It was clean enough and had what I needed for a one night stay. I would not recommend more than that.

The place is an older motel, and the walls and ceiling must be paper thin. It was noisy, being right on the main highway, but that wasn't the most significant issue. I stayed on the first floor, and the people above me were up and walking around all night. Everytime they walked around, it sounded like a stampede. The floor must be very thin. I couldn't get to sleep, and finally put a pair of ear plugs in to nod off. This is not the owner's fault, just an old building.

I would probably only stay here again if I got a room on the second floor. Forget about it if you're under some restless people! Stores and restaurants are located nearby.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TheCosmicTraveler
rusticmotel, Owner at Rustic Motel of Rolla, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Yes it's true that the Rustic is an older motel, but we take pride in offering a "homely" atmosphere to all our guests.
We are sorry that the guests above your room kept you awake but if you would have called the front office we could have requested those guests to quieten down.
We thank you for your review and hope that you will re visit us again.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

room was ok .door looked like it perhaps had been broken into.i would not stay here alone.as we were not leaving and only overnight it was ok for us .owner was very friendly a very nice lady and we really enjoyed the outdoor pool.ice in the lobby area.

Room Tip: check the lock
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
rusticmotel, Owner at Rustic Motel of Rolla, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

I thank you for your comments.
We have never had an incident of someone trying to break into our rooms and the room you stayed in had it's door forcefully opened because it was jammed and we had no option but to force it open to let the guest come out.
We are located in a safe part of Rolla and have regular police patrols in our vicinity.
Please feel free to visit us again and we thank you for your comments.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

this is an older motel, but is kept up very well, our room was clean and very comfortable. the owners were welcoming and very accomodating. our room had everything we needed, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and lots of extras.

Room Tip: the room we had was a king size with a sitting area off to one side, perfect for our little dog to b...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Comments like yours makes our efforts in pleasing our guests worthwhile. We try our best to please all our guests while operating a motel built in the late Sixties, and there are times when some are not happy with their stay and post comments that are truly unfair to us.
We look forward to you revisiting us in the future.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

We thought we'd save a buck and stay at a kitschy local place. We didn't mind at all the older (like70's era) features - part of the charm, right? But after we got into bed I saw a BUG on my pillow, jumped up, and saw one on my husband's shirt and another on our toddler's pillow. We got a refund and are checking into a Holiday Inn right now. Don't visit here unless you just have nowhere else to go.

• Stayed: November 2011

Thank you for your comments.
It was unfortunate that you found some bugs in the room. And as you noted we gladly refunded the money you had paid to rent the room because our motto is :
"The guest is always right"
The next day we called in a pest control company to eradicate the pest problem and we have not had any further guests complain of any bug problem in that room.
We can only hope to improve our facilities if guests point out any issues they feel should be brought to our attention, so we thank you for your comments but feel sad that because of that you recommend that no one should stay here again.

Reviewed June 3, 2011

I called ahead to get a rate quote but did not reserve a room because it was a still a very long distance away and wasn't sure if we could do the drive. We did make it there around 9 pm and at check in my partner and I asked for the King bed room. The owner (female) was very adamant about not letting us sleep in the same bed. She mentioned 4 times that we want 2 beds because we are both male. We've been together for 10 years, I think we deserve to sleep in the same bed. The hotel is just ok. The rooms are crowded with very drab furniture. Too bad, it's a cute hotel just very outdated. Don't let the picture, (on the website) of the pool fool you, it is surrounded by tatttered chain link fence and next to the road. Thin walls and loud bikers. Oh, and this morning I needed to get ice so I went to the front desk. It was locked and a sign stated to ring bell for room only. There was a guy getting the bugs out of the pool and I asked him if I could get ice (the machine is in the lobby). He said to ring the bell and that they should be awake. I ring the bell and get the most unwelcoming glare from the same women I encountered the previous night. NO good morning, not a word.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank squarebrian

Please accept our sincere apologies for the misunderstanding caused to you. It was not my wife's intention to be rude or impolite.
Our outdoor Swimming pool is located a few yards from the highway and is surrounded by a chain link fence but your description of it as being tattered is very unfair.
We unlock the front office door at 7am and during the night open it when a guest rings the night bell to either rent a room or requests extra amenities or ice.
My wife and I operate this motel 24/7 and when she unlocked the door for you to get some ice she might have come across to you as being "unfriendly" but she must have just woken up. But please accept our apologies.