“Undescrible Oasis.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blackberry Creek Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rogersville
Blackberry Creek Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Rogersville B&B and Inns
Springfield, Missouri
“Undescrible Oasis.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

This Bed & Breakfast is a wonderful escape from our busy lives. It is a perfect reflection of the Ozarks. It is located outside the City of Springfield, but still close enough to all the local attractions and shopping mecas. In it's natural enviroment, it repesents the outdoors and Mark & Dixie show true "Ozark" hospitality. They made me feel like I was a friend they have known forever. And I hope you get the chance to experience the food that is prepared right there at the bed and breakfast. It is wonderful spot for family get togethers, holiday events, and retreats. I have been able to attend a couple of scrapbooking retreats and I would recommend it to anyone. The rooms were impecable, very clean, relaxing, and enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2010
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank ScrapnNut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

My niece held her rehearsal dinner, wedding & reception at the B&B. When we first arrived we were struck by how beautiful the location was. It made the long drive out seem well worth it.

At the rehearsal dinner I was a bit put off by the owners being overly friendly. While the husband just seemed to be networking a little too hard, the wife seemed to be acting as if she were one of the guests. But I put it out of my mind & chalked it up as new owners trying a little too hard to be friendly & create new business.

The next day at the wedding is when things turned downright weird. The wife went around telling people that she was the Wedding Planner. Then proceeded to arbitrarily change things or rearrange them as she thought they should be.

The bride had chosen to go an untraditional route & use Wedding Memory Pages for the guests to fill out instead of signing into a guest book. The pages were set on the guest book table for them to pick up & fill out at leisure during the reception. The owner came along & moved the pages & set out the B&B guest book for them to sign into instead. (at the end my niece had to rip out the pages from the B&B guest book where HER guests had signed in.)

The bride set the arch on the deck & the seating as she wanted it before going back upstairs to change. The proprietors then came behind her & completely reset the arch & the chairs. This upset the bride when she looked outside from upstairs but we convinced her to just blow it off as the ceremony was about to start.

We had planned to have a Skype set up at the front so that my Dad, who was ill, could still perform the ceremony. The wifi connection from the B&B was spotty at best & we just couldn't hold a signal. Due to it's remote location, cell phone reception was also incredibly spotty.

The owner positioned herself at the door & directed when each person was to walk out & be seated. I think at this point we were still just thinking she was a bit eccentric. After the ceremony time was needed to move the chairs from outside to inside around the tables for the reception. Hors d'oeuvres were set up on the wrap around porch for the guests while they waited outside for the transition. The owner took it upon herself to be door monitor again & was deciding who to let in & who not to let in. The bride sent one of the bridesmaids down to tell her to cut it out, we had set it up this way for a reason. The owner turned shrill, voices were raised, the owner got her feelings hurt, but she stopped letting people inside. Instead she snippily informed the grandmothers that they were to be forced to stand outside & wait, too, that the happy couple had not considered the need for the seniors to move inside & sit.

The owner then decided that she needed an apology from the bridesmaid. But she couldn't really tell them apart so she went out into the reception & approached each bridesmaid, one by one, demanding an apology for the earlier incident. This created enough of a stir that other guests were noticing the commotion. The bridesmaid who had spoken to her earlier, not wanting to create a scene at her good friend's wedding, decided it would be easier to just apologize, warranted or not, & get it over with.

However the bride looked up from the dance floor & saw the confrontation going on with the owner inside. The owner was chastising her friend & looking angry & the bridemaid was in tears. The bride had enough & went in to pull her friend away. The owner then confronted my niece & voices were raised. All dancing stopped as everyone realized this was now the biggest show to see & were crowding around the doorway trying to hear what was going on.

Her friends managed to maneuver my niece back outside so she could cool down. The owner stood looking self-righteous & stopping anyone she could to try & justify her own actions.

A short while later she made the mistake of finally stopping me. Initially I was doing my best to just stand and nod politely, planning a way to get away from her. As she grumbles at me about my niece I don't bother to agree or disagree with her, thinking this will speed up the conversation if I just remain noncommittal.

But then she starts telling me about a previous party at the B&B. At that event a middle-aged woman had inappropriately stepped inside the kitchen to get something. When asked to leave, she had yelled at the owner. So a while later the owner went out into this function, sat down across the table from the woman & proceeded to tell her that she had acted inappropriately & demanded an apology from her. And then relates another incident where she had to demand an apology from someone at a function.

She tells me that she started to realize that not everyone was raised the way she had raised her boys. That it is good to give people a chance to feel better about themselves & demand an apology from them so that later on when they look back on the situation they won't be left feeling bad that the apology had gone unspoken.

All the years I spent in customer service & catering, all the training I had are just screaming out at how inappropriate this is. I try to very rationally tell this woman that you can't do that in a Customer Service business. That she really needs to attempt to develop a thicker skin if she is going to survive in it. And then I begin excusing myself. I'm wanting to get back outside to the party & mingle with the people I came to visit, not listen to the complaints of an unhappy Innkeeper.

But in one last attempt to justify her actions she stops me with the following statement:

"Well I have learned in this life that some things like patience can only be taught through things like serious illness. And that young woman out there (she nodded towards my niece) could stand to be served up just such a lesson."

My face went purple with rage. As my niece is a breast cancer survivor I couldn't let this go unanswered. Suffice it to say more words were exchanged.

This would be a beautiful venue for weddings & small get away events if the owner could learn to remain unobtrusive & stay in the background & not try to become one of the guests herself. Or feel that it was part of her job description to be the arbiter of good behavior for all those within her realm.

Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Not if I wanted to keep them as my friend.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lezlie K
cowbeach, Owner at Blackberry Creek Retreat, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Having been in business over 3 years, and performed many weddings and receptions, emotions often are high, especially with a bride and family. However, we have more times than not been pulled into the family and become a part of them. This was not the case. Over a year in the planning, and many meetings leading up to, plans changed the day this event started. If being overly friendly offended this writer, apologies, but that is our nature.

Told the event was being catered, we were surprised when the bride's family started bringing in all the food and some cooking materials for the (140) person reeception. Our kitchen is not available for use for food prepartion (in the contract) yet the bride's mother said catering changed, and she was doing the whole meal and appetizers in our kitchen. We bent and allowed this. It was chaos and unplanned, with lots of arguments on that side of the family. Materials and chafing dishes were used, and we provided at no charge, just to get this event rolling and behind us.

It was unfortunate that the officiating grandfather could not attend due to an illness. We learned of the desire to use Skype the week leading up to the wedding. Not having experience in Skype nor knowing if our DSL signal would carry it, we suggested they come mid-week and try it out. We were told they'd do that the night before. We are a rural area, and have no issues with our DSL, but agree cell service in the facility is spotty, but works.

Contrary to the the charge of moving the arbor (arch) and chairs, we did not do this. The arbor, which we built for this bride ($300 - no charge to the party) was not moved the whole weekend. The chairs mentioned were rented, provided, and setup by the bride's party. We provide noce chairs at no charge.

The incident mentioned about holding people out by the innkeepers, was shewed. She was helping a very edlerly grandmother of the groom inside to a chair when the brodemaid yelled to keep these people out and close the doors. Only helping.

Obviously a lot of time spent here venting on the event and personal issues. This person did not stay at our facility, and conntributed to the emotions, not so much to us, but their own family.

We worked with, not against this family. Like contacting the cleaners to return left behind tuxedos for out of town family members, travel and time spent to exchange kitchen goods and items mixed up, left or taken, setup taables prior to the event, and so on.

Finally, to cap off this event, the bride;s venue check bounced as they were honeymooning in Mexico, and we worked the past few weeks working with the newlyweds on payments to get this reconciled. We were most likely the only vendors this happened to. This caused us to change our contracts to be less flexible in the future.
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

This B &B is rustic looking with lots of antiques. Each of the 5 rooms has a different theme with beautiful furnishings and well appointed modern bathrooms. There is almost too much in the rooms, though, as there isn't enough space for your luggage or for toiletries in the bathrooms. It is quiet and peaceful and very removed from the city. They have little bird feeders outside the windows which the birds make use of the first thing each morning. Make sure you have everything you need because it is a long way back to town. A nice breakfast was furnished and consisted of fresh fruit, blueberry muffins, sausages, and an egg casserole. This was a great place for a scrapbooking weekend or a quick get-a-way from the city. The B&B is built as a walkout with the downstairs being a large dining room and a deck that overlooks the wooded area. They also have weddings, business meetings, and large dinners. The only drawback to this place is one of the proprietors is very annoying. She would follow us around and talk and talk about nothing and repeatedly tell us about problems with past guests, which we found very unprofessional. Stay away from her and you should have a nice stay.

• Stayed September 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank sunnysideup505
cowbeach, Owner at Blackberry Creek Retreat, responded to this review, February 26, 2011
We are a bit out of town but only 15 minute drive in any direction to a town or city in case you do need an item. Also we are only 5 miles from a fire department.

Out of 100s of scrapbookers, this is the only one that had a complaint.

The owner had surgery on her throat and to hear her she must be near by. Anyone that ask a question she would go to and answer.

All other groups invite her to stay longer and have fun with them. They come to me if they need something in their room and I have gotten them many things they may have forgotten just so they don't have to leave.
Scrapping time is valiable and so is the stay at Blackberry Creek Retreat.

I asked the girls that were there that particular time and none other had a complaint. I wanted to know if there was a problem. I was told that she was the problem not to let it bother me.

We take any complaint serious if it is a serious complaint.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rogersville
Drury Inn & Suites Springfield, MO
Baymont Inn & Suites Springfield
Walnut Street Inn
Walnut Street Inn
#1 of 11 in Springfield

Been to Blackberry Creek Retreat? Share your experiences!