“One of our most favorites places to visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rockbridge Mill

Rockbridge Mill
More attraction details
Owner description: Old mill turned into an evening bar and social gathering point.
Springfield, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“One of our most favorites places to visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We go to Rockbridge two or three times a year - and have for over 25 years now. Food is great, fishing fun, trap shooting excellent, and surroundings beautiful. We do miss the bird hunting.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank TravelMcB

Springfield, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wonderful - beautiful - great getaway location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Been going to Rockbridge for many years. It's a wonderful place to go. The food is just exquisite. More than that the staff is friendly, the accomodations clean, and there is lots to do from fishing to skeet shooting. Will go back and back and back again!

Visited June 2012
2 Thank happytourist47
Crestwood, Missouri
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

You can relax in the mill, have a beverage and a snack, and watch the Rainbow Trout in the mill pool.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Jim R
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Absolutely gorgeous location, restaurant service needs some help.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

Everytime I eat at Rockbridge (usually about once a year) I remember how much I wished the service was better. The food is very good for the most part. We are generally happy with the main dishes, but it would be really nice if they could use fresh vegetables for the sides. The service here is always so slow. We sat down to eat tonight and waited 10 minutes for our waitress. We ordered and waited one hour for our food to get to the table (you should never take that long to prepare a meal for a family with 5 kids!). Eleven minutes after our food arrived she came to the table and asked if we wanted dessert and started taking our plates away. My son had to grab his fish and fries of the plate really fast before she took it. Our drinks were not refilled readily, we had to ask twice for ketchup, tartar sauce, water, napkins, etc. I guess for a meal that is so expensive I expect a little bit better service. I wouldn't think much of it, but this is how the service usually is when we go there, although I think today was a little worse than usual. Anyway, we also fished and my kids had a great time catching 7 really big trout. They were cleaned and ready for us to take home with us when we were finished eating. The staff was very nice (even our slow waitress) and the location is beautiful and the mill is gorgeous. Even though I am complaining - we will probably go back again next year - Hope the service finally improves!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank willowmom2011
Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“A great weekend get away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

If you are looking for beautiful scenery and great trout fishing you have got to try Rockbridge Trout Ranch. This tranquil oasis is located in the town of Rockbridge Missouri, about 3 light years from civilization. Originally the site of an old mill, a small town grew up around the mill. The original mill was burned down during the civil war (actually there was nothing civil about it). Eventually the mill closed down and set idle for years. In 1946 the Amyx family bought the property. Their son Ray was 2 years old at the time. Today Ray runs the business; his daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter are also working on the property.

In the summer besides great fishing the offer horseback riding, hiking, swimming, and trap shooting. In the fall they offer deer and turkey hunting on over 3,000 acres.

My wife and I arrived with another couple around noon on a Friday. We started fishing immediately. I began having considerable problems immediately. When I fish the State parks I use 2 lb. fishing line. After breaking my line and a number of hooks I was informed that the monsters that lurk in this stream needed at least 4 lb. test. My problem was solved.

We stayed in a remodeled room ($99/night) that was comfortable. It cost $15 for a fishing tag. You have to keep all of the fish you land. You take your fish to the cleaning station were they are weighted and cleaned to your specifications. You are charged $4.30 per pound for your fish. You can also catch and release, but that fishing tag cost $85 per day.

During the two days we fished I landed 10 fish and it cost me $88. The largest fish weighted 3.6 pounds. My friend, Jeff, also landed 10 fish and his bill was about $100. We could have easily caught many more. Some people fish with barbless hooks. Many people do catch and release and there are a lot of fly fishermen (and women). Unlike the State parks you can fish with any kind of lure, anywhere you want. Also unlike the State parks you can fish in areas with very few, if any, other people. You don’t have to fish at the whistle, and you can catch fish all day. No fishing license is required.

On Saturday while Jeff and I fished, our wives went horseback riding. The one-hour ride cost $40 and the women loved it. A guide and Ray accompanied the two of them.

The restaurant was very good. They offer many trout entrees’ plus a wide variety of other dishes at reasonable prices.

Late Saturday night Jeff and I happened to run into Ray. He was still working and checking on everything. We had a long conversation about the history of the ranch. He told us he had stocked the stream with 800 trout and 408 had been caught. It is so cool to see a family business thrive and succeed.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank ploethen

Been to Rockbridge Mill? Share your experiences!