“Loud Trains keep you awake all night, lousy service irritates you all day...”

Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa Kansas City
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We booked a king room via an internet site. When we checked in and the clerk saw that we had used a website for a cheaper rate, his demeanor changed and we were treated as third-class steerage passengers.

No valet at the hotel for the car, no bellman to help with the bags.

The room was very nice and the shower terrific, but all the king rooms are on the north side of the building, which is near a 24-hour railroad crossing. I heard more trains all night long than a bad Johnny Cash marathon. Absolutely no sleep. When we complained to the front desk, they shrugged and said there were no other king rooms. If we wanted another room with double beds, we could move but there would be no refund or comp.

There is little if any insulation between the rooms, so be prepared to hear your neighbors, their TV'S, music, kids, or anything else louder than a whisper.

The spa is understaffed, so unless you make your reservations well in advance they are unwilling to accomodate you.

The casino is small, the bars are lame. The steakhouse is average, at best. The hotel is located so far from anywhere that it's hard to go out to eat or for other entertainment. They keep you prisoner.

I won't be going back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank McPrairie

Reviewed January 9, 2009

Our family stayed at the Argosy on a trip through Kansas City for one night, and we're quite glad that we did. First off we stayed because we like the nicer places and also like to try out new hotels around the country or where ever we are at the time. This hotel is great, and since we were flying out the next day it was only about a twenty minute drive to the airport which was great.

First the room, which at the beginning of Jan we got for $169, was great. The bathroom is all marble and quite outstanding. There's a huge shower with a regular shower head and then also above there is a rain shower head, both of which can be on at the same time. The toilet is in its separate room, which is always great, the lights dim all the way down until just visible so that they can stay on at night without keeping you up or having a hall light on, and there are speakers connected to the TV so you don't miss a sound if something comes up.

The room it's self was a double queen, and the beds were just firm enough and the pillows so so. There is a 42" plasma TV in each room, as well as the usual coffee maker and a mini frig pleasantly hidden in the furniture. All together the views aren't the best, but if you keep the drapes closed you would never know...

As for the casino, not the best I've been to. I had actually made coffee in the room and took it with me down to the floor, at which point I was turned away because you're not allowed to bring outside drinks in. Odd I thought, but if they didn't want my money right then, I could wait. So after finishing, I went in and found out why you can't bring drinks in, it's due to the fact that you have to pay for every drink you get. This makes absolutely no sense to me, having been to Vegas, AC, and numerous river boat and reservations, which all have free drinks because that keeps the money flowing out of the pocket. But not here.

Also to enter you have to have a membership card, which is free and only takes 10-15 minutes to get, but they then have your personal info and track when you come in (I never swiped to get out, but there seem to be stalls for that as well).

The casino it's self is crowded with mostly locals playing the slots and smoking, there are a few table games but mostly all different types of slot machines.

Overall a good time at a great hotel for the area that happens to be connected to a decent casino...

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank 20,147
Reviewed October 22, 2008

The Argosy is a fantastic hotel. From flat-panel TVs to a bathroom that's bigger than some NYC hotel rooms, it was an awesome place to stay. I was in Room 719, Oct 11-13. I arrived on property at 10:30 am and they were very gracious and allowed me to check in early - which I appreciated since I had left the east coast at 6am! The bedding is very comfortable, the chair and ottoman a great perk, and there is a high-tech system for do not disturb/request housekeeping. The workout room is great, very new equipment and open 24/7.

As the hotel is part of a casino there are restaurants on site, including a very good buffet. As a hotel guest, you get to go to the "preferred line". I went on a Sunday and there was a line of about 20 but none in the preferred, so I went right in.

My only complaint, which is minor - the hotel guest parking is supposed to be for hotel guests only, separate from casino parking, but this wasn't enforced the entire time I was there. The gate was open all 48 hours so any one could park there... a problem when I got back to the hotel after a wedding late on Saturday night.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank trvlsingle
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I would give this and excellent rating except they charge 10 bucks a day for wireless internet. This really frosts me, as they have high room rates, why not just include internet service! The rooms were clean roomy, nice beds/bathroom/shower. Building is well kept and clean. Draw back is location, basically not close to anything, except of course its own casino.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed August 6, 2008

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Argosy Casino Hotel and Spa last month and everything about the visit was superb. The rooms were very clean and spacious, the bathroom was very well appointed with marble, a tiled walk-in shower with room for a party, but intimate enough for the two of us. The soap and shampoo are of good quality, nice smelling and compare with all of the top hotels we have stayed at over the years. The best thing about the room (not counting the awesome flat screen TV) is the bed! I have had back surgery and usually don't sleep well in beds other than my own, but I slept all night without back pain. The sheets are of a good quality and are very soft and lightweight.
Not to be out done by the rooms are the restaurants. We had brunch at the buffet and the food was fresh and tasty. Nothing was dried out or disappointing at all and we enjoyed it a lot. We also ate at the Crazy Olives and the salads were crisp and delicious , the iced tea was freshly brewed and the service was fantastic. We ate at the Journey steak house and had the salmon.It was very blackenedI don't want to say it was burned) and not very tasty, but all of the rest of the meal was just fine. The manager wasnt very obliging about our disappointment. She could have offered us dessert, or take it off of the bill, but I don't think we could blame it on the Argosy-they have kick-[--] customer service, and I am sure any other manager would have been very accomodating. We will not hesitate to stay there again! I want to go right now just thinkling about the fun we had!
P.S. We won a nice amount of money in the casino,too! Woo-Hoo!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2008

I was in the KC MO area for a couple of months and wanted to try something different. This was it. You will love your LARGE room, great plasma TV, super shower and the terrific Buffets. I don't gamble much but they do have a very large casino. If you just want a snack They have a great sandwich shop in the casino.
The place is very new and clean and beautiful. The room price was well worth it. If I'm in the KC MO area again this is where I will stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2007

The rooms are beautiful and the bathrooms (showers) unbelievable. Because of the casino attached, the hallways are all a little smokey, but all in all a great stay. The restaurants have great food and we even came out a little ahead in the Casino.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverside
Harrah's North Kansas City
The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
The Westin Crown Center
The Westin Crown Center
#5 of 109 in Kansas City

Been to Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa Kansas City? Share your experiences!