“Exceptional”

Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa Kansas City
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed March 5, 2014

The staff was very friendly and efficient. The room was large and very clean. The shower was very cool. The restaraunts and casino were on site, which was very convienant. I would recommend staying here, as I plan to do anytime I am in KC.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East and North have better views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 3, 2014

She is rude, no help and will tell you that the horrible phone service is the way it is, because they are fielding all off the calls. My wife and i tried for over an hour at around 3 PM and a number of phone calls that went to an answereing machine to see what the check cashing policy was. We gave up and went to a bank as we traveled in. The front desk was over the top with service and politness and told us repeatedly to dial "0" if we needed anything, but when we called to just find out about a TV directory we could not get a hold of anyone for over 25 minutes. We pushed "0", room service, valet parking, wake up call, thinking our buttons did not work on our phone. Finally we got a live person and I asked for a manager and met the wrath of Pharra. It was all my fault due to them fielding all of the calls due to the weather coming tomorrow and them being busy. I asked her what the emergency button on the phone did and she said it goes to 911, but I would be afraid to try it if I really needed an emergency. We thought everything was great except the satisfaction of a horrible manager and her customer service with a major problem with the phone service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mike S
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night after a visit to the KU Medical Center. We were able to get a room on the top (9th) floor, very quiet and the floor to ceiling windows were a nice touch. The room was quite large and had a really cool shower. The location was a little ways from most everything but had easy access. We only ate at the sports bar and the food was pretty good (even late night). We didn't care for the casino mainly because all the machines were really old and not very appealing. Overall, we would stay again but gamble elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BGDUDE
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was a disaster at the point of check-in..,,They had charged me before the date we arrived, yet couldn't seem to find a reservation for us...so..we ended up with the type of room we didn't reserve...then in the morning my husband got in the shower and absolutely no hot water, so he decided to get out and wash his hair in the sink and again no hot water....we were in a non smoking room and it definitely smelled like smoke, plus the fan in the bathroom didn't work...the beds were okay at best...the breakfast buffet was ok at least the food was fresh...they do have some nice restaurants which kind of made up the lousy hotel experience...won't be returning here anytime soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jcronks
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The rooms are very nice and spacious. Everything was nicely laid out. They had nice size samples of shampoo, conditioner, and hand cream. Not the tiny vials that you find in other hotels.
The rooms come equipped with two phones/alarm clock, coffee maker, refrigerator, and safe.
The showers are very large and come equipped with two shower heads, one over you and one coming out the wall. You need to make sure that you adjust the temperature before entering the shower as the water is very hot. I would suggest not over 90 degrees.

They also have very nice restaurants. I ate in the Terrace Buffet. The food was hot and very delicious with a large selection of entrees. Depending on which night you stay, they have a different menu for each night.

The help in both the hotel and restaurant was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, I believe the 4th floor is the only non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Janis V
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Hotel about a 10 minute drive from downtown, but in the middle of no where so you have to drive to everything. The casino was nothing special and never saw one waitress for drinks. I would not come back again, & would spend a little extra to be downtown close to everything and not have to drive. Breakfast buffet had just about anything you could want for $10.99. Room had a fridge, coffee maker and the shower was big enough for 2, with a spray from the top and the side.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Argosy so my husband could play black jack and I could relax. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a nice young lady at the desk. While being checked in, another desk agent came by and asked if she was doing a good job or if she needed to be fired. While I appreciate a fun working environment, I prefer a touch more formality at a hotel. As mentioned in prior reviews, the property is non-smoking but the casino allows smoking. As a result, the entire property smells like an ozone machine trying to cover the smell of smoke. Our room smelled like stale smoke as well. I imagine it is because of having clothes in the rooms that have a smell of smoke but still a bit offputtiing.
Soon afer checking in, I went to book a spa appointment. I had called two days prior and told "it was no problem to wait to book a treatment" but when I went to book something I was told they were completely committed for the day. Definitely a training issue! I decided to go work out instead. I plugged my ipod into the treadmill only to realize none of the televisions on the machines worked. Back to the spa (it connects) I went and was told "they don't work". Then why do you have them?!! The only large television had TERRIBLE picture and sound. Needless to say, my relaxing time was not going to happen!
Finally, we had a very early flight the next day so requested a 4am wake-up call. Guess what. You guessed it! NO WAKE UP CALL! That is BAD, BAD, BAD!!! Thankfully, we had set our phones as I did not feel confident from the other things. I mentioned it as we were leaving and I just got a blank stare.
The rooms are lovely and the showers are AMAZING! We got a good deal so hate to complain but if we had stayed one night earlier for $200 more, I would be calling management. Overall, a mediocre stay and I won't be going back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank misskay6367
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverside
Harrah's North Kansas City
Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
Courtyard Kansas City at Briarcliff
InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Hotel Phillips Kansas City, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa Kansas City? Share your experiences!