“Beautiful Grounds, Great Lake, Nice Pool”

The Wilderness Club at Big Cedar
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ridgedale
Mississippi
“Beautiful Grounds, Great Lake, Nice Pool”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at Big Cedar, the grounds were gorgeous and the lake beautiful!!! The rooms were nice and it was great getting cookies delivered at night! It was about a 15 min drive to branson though which isn't too far but not close enough to walk either. THe pools were great especially the lazy river.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelBug2286

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
st. louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

My husband I spent our first anniversary here. Im on line now looking to book our second anniversary trip. After looking at several other Branson resorts it seems that Big Cedar cant be topped!!!!!!!! So I may be booking here again. Im glad to book here agian. I called myself trying to explore Branson and give other places a try, but it looks like I started with the best. Big Cedar is beyond words. It is the most beautiful place ever! I truly cant stop talking about it. I enjoyed it better than my cruise to the Bahamas which was beautiful! We stayed in the studio for a week. The service was excellent. The staff are very friendly and very patient. There are several hot tubs and the pool across from the golf course is gorgeous. The food was great. We really enjoyed having a studio so that we could cook for ourselves if we wanted to. Our room was clean and very very nice. We loved our balcony, we ate breakfast out there in the mornings. We enjoyed the free dvd rentals and the free cookies every night. I swear she was like the cookie fairy. We'd look up and they'd be there on our bed waiting for us! There are several beautufl waterfalls. The land view alone is beautiful! Everything was absolutely wonderful!!!!!!! I didnt get a chance to try out the spa but I will this itime around I loved the fact that we parked our car when we first got there and didnt move it all week. Well at least not for the resort. We only drove to the grocery store to stock up the fridge or for our personal trips into town. Theres a shuttle service that will come and get you and take you anywhere on the property. That was awesome! Sometimes we got a ride home, changed clothes and called for a ride to the restaurant for dinner. I dont think we ever waited over 15 minutes for the shutle. Its the little things they offer like the free dvd rentals, the shuttle, and the cookies thats got us spoiled. When I call other resorts in the area they dont have the shuttle service and all the little extras. Some places I looked only havd VHSs in the units. Overall this is a wonderful place. I highly recommend it to anyone! The service was great and the only time we heard noise was during the day we all checked out. Otherwise it was peaceful the entire time. It was the PERFECT ANNIVERSARY TRIP I LOVE BIG CEDAR!. I could write all day about this place.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rockismom
Crandon, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

We traveled to Wilderness Club with our two young children, my parents and my aunt and uncle for a 6 day, 5 night stay using my in-laws timeshare points. We had a 2 bedroom unit (which is a studio connected to a 1 bedroom condo) and a 1 bedroom unit to accomodate the 3 families. I had requested when making the reservation that they place us next to each other, this didn't happen, we were inthe same building but on opposite ends of the building and on different floors (Level 2 & level 3). The grounds are amazing, we took the scenic entry when we came in instead of following the signs which pointed us to Wilderness Club as we wantes to check out the grounds. Everything is well cared for and immaculate! Upon check-in at 3:45 PM we were told one of the units was not ready as of yet so we had to wait until 4:00 PM to go into that unit so we took the kids and played on the playgorund for a little while. There was no pressure at all at any time of our stay to go through a sales presentation. Even when we were directed to the parking pass desk to get the parking passes they did not even mention it. They asked if we were visiting for an occasion and we told them we were just on Spring vacation but it was my husband's birthday, later that day they sent up balloons and a nice mug with some chocolates and hot chocolate as a Birthday gift from the staff, which had all signed the card. Nice! We we got to our units we were plesanctly surprised at the space and how clean everything was (except the kitchen in the studio needed to be dusted as there was quite a bit of dust on the cabinets). The washer and dryer was nice and the kitchen was well stocked with tableware and serveware. We were in 2900 building on the second floor and had a very nice view of the lake. My aunt and uncle stayed on the 3rd floor and didn't have a view of the lake but a view of the building in front of ours. The outdoor kiddie pool was great and seemed to be heated appropriately for the 65 degree weather, however, the adult pool at this location was not warm at all and was said to be "heated". Pool towels are provided which was nice. We never heard any noise while staying it was super quiet! We attempted to get a shuttle to go down the playground on the second evening of our stay but a shuttle never camae to pick us up so we decided to walk as we had already waited about 20 minutes with no signs of one. We had a nice walk down to the playground but we attempted to catch a shuttle to go back as it was up hill. A Wilderness shuttle was dropping some people off at Brushey Creek Clubhouse so my husband rana nd attempted to stop the shuttle so we could get a lift back to our room, he was waving his arms and came about 1 foot away from the shuttle but the driver would not stop. We went on our way as it was starting to get dark and several shuttles past us on our uphill walk along the road to get back the the unit and even waving our arms and motioning for them to stop did not get the near empty shuttles to stop for a pregnant woman, two very young children and my husband walking uphill at dusk. We were very disgusted with this. They just completely ignored us as if we were not even there! We did call for a shuttle the next evening to take us to Brushey Creek Clubhouse to the indoor pool and it came very quickly but would not wait for my aunt and uncle to get down to the shuttle from the 3 rd floor. He said. "Slow pokes get left behind!" and drove off so they had to call for another shuttle to come get them. We took a shuttle in the AM of our 4th day to Truman House to get breakfast and the shuttle driver was so very pleasant! Nothing like the evening drivers we encountered. Truman house is awesome and we had meals there 3 times during our stay, they have great soup bowls and very reasonable prices! On our fourth day we arrived back at our room to find that there was no running water so we called th front and they told us they were working on it-rudely. About an hour later I was in the kitchen and heard running water coming out of the closet with the washer and dryer so I opened the door but found no water. So I went into the master bedroom bathroom and there was water puring out of the ceiling above the toilet and when I opened the furnace room closet there was more water pouring from the ceiling. We called the front desk immediately and someone arrived in less than 5 minutes. They checked it out and went upstairs to see where the water was coming from. Apparently someone left the bath tub plugged and running on the third floor and it had overflowed and was causing this issue. We took all the towels we had to help clean up the mess and catch some of the water. It started to come through the ceiling in the master bath by the jacuzzi tub and then in the master bedroom. We had towels all over the place as water just kept dripping from the ceiling. The maintence man said the front desk would be contacting us about our options to move to another unit as they were going to have water coming through this unit for awhile. By the time we left this unit waste had started to drip in the living room. About an hour later the desk called to see if we would like to move. YES! They wanted us to move to unit 2700 but only had one unit available and we wanted our entire family to at least be in the same building. So a half an hour later they called back and asked us to move to building 2400 with a 2 bedroom unit on level 3 and a 1 bedroom on level 4. So my husband and I with our 2 small children had to move all of our stuff, including my parents (as they were at a show) belongings to the other unit and then when my aunt and uncle arrived we had to move all of their things from their unit also. We spent over 5 hours cleaning up water and moving our belongings and nobody once apologized or offered us any compensation, such as a gift certificate, for our troubles and all of our wasted time. We left 2 days later and when we checked out they charged us the $5/day incidental fee on 3 units instead of 2 units as they still had us checked into the water-filled unit. I even explained to the man at check out about our "room change" so he would know what had happened but he still charged us for the 3 units knowing this info and again, no apology for the trouble we went through. I called back two days later when we arrived home and the woman that answered the phone told me we were charged for 3 units as we were checked into 3 units. I, again, explained everything and she still wasn't getting it so she transfered me to someone else who looked into the overcharge and he credited us back for the extra amount, again no apology. Even though we had some major issues we would return if we were in the area again as this is a beautiful place and nothing in the area even comes close to Wilderness clubs accommodations. We just hope next time would will get better service.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank WITVRL
Norman, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

We greatly enjoyed our stay in a 1 bedroom suite at the Bluegreen Wilderness Club at Big Cedar. Spacious and relaxing and our 3rd floor suite had a great view of the lake. The staff was very polite and helpful. We enjoyed the "Cookie Lady's" visit each evening. We enjoyed the horseback riding, canoeing and walking trails. Just a short trip into Branson to see a show or go shopping. We will definitely visit again. The only negative we experienced was the stomping teenagers above us for a couple of nights. Apparently they were not happy to be on vacation. I would definitely recommend going off season, I imagine it is very busy and noisy during peak tourist season. Lovely to visit off season, great for families all year.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank angelartistok
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2008

Oh how I love Big Cedar! This was the 3rd year my family and the in-laws stayed the week before Christmas at the Wilderness Club at Big Cedar. There were 13 of us total. My Husband and I….. plus my side of the family ….plus his side of the family. We both have siblings that are not fully grown: 14, 12, 11, and 8. It’s hard to find a place where all ages (including parents) can enjoy themselves but everyone is happy at Big Cedar. With so much to do (even in the winter) it’s hard to find time for it all.

Of course the indoor pool is a big hit with the little ones but there are also the outdoor hot tubs (3 different ones on the property), the free movie and game rentals, the Lincoln Log and puzzle tables, and mini-golf on a nice day. Big Cedar goes the extra mile to make sure you have a Merry Christmas with family Christmas craft nights, storytelling with Mrs. Claus, photos with Santa, gingerbread house making, holiday wagon light tours, a Christmas Tree lighting and even Elf tuck-ins (that’s right an elf will come tuck-in your children). The ambiance of Big Cedar during the month of December is marvelous. All the buildings and cabins are lined with lights, the Truman house looks like a giant gingerbread house, and amazing decorations and Christmas trees fill the clubhouse, registration buildings and restaurants.

Us girls were excited about shopping at the outlet malls and quaint boutiques. Even driving through Branson with all the Christmas lights at night was fun. Branson always has great Christmas shows and Silver Dollar City is amazing lit up with millions of lights.

All around Big Cedar is our favorite place to relax during the Christmas Season. Staying here in the spring, summer and fall seasons is a whole other conversation. There are even more things to do and try at Big Cedar and in Branson.

I’ve seen other review complaining about a few things that I’d like to address.
The price of Big Cedar: Of course a 5 star resort is pricey! If you are looking for a cheap place to stay don’t even bother with Big Cedar. Almost everything about Big Cedar is high on the price scale. The gift shop, the marina, the restaurants, the spa and even some the extra activates are all top notch and have premium prices. (Note: If you are traveling from California, New York, Texas, etc. these prices may look normal to you.)

Lodge Accommodations: We learned early on that the lodges can be noisy especially if you have loud people above you. Of course Big Cedar can only ask them to be quieter. We started booking well in advanced in order to secure rooms on the 4th floor. With the luggage carts and elevators it’s a breeze to unload and load the whole bunch of us. To have complete seclusion you should book a cabin!

Big Cedar Lodge vs. Big Cedar Wilderness Club:
This is a bit tricky… Big Cedar Lodge and Big Cedar Wilderness Club are actually two different entities but they are on the same property. Big Cedar Lodge is the renters’ side of the property and the Wilderness Club is the timeshare owners’ side. If you are staying on one side you can use the amenities on the other side with no problems. The main difference is the actual rooms that you stay in on the owners’ side may be roomer with a full or mini -kitchen.

• Liked — Big Cedar feels like home away from home
  • Disliked — There in no wi-fi in available in the rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank luvrach247
Goose Creek, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

My husband and I (both in our early 50s) are Bluegreen owners and booked a vacation to Big Cedar Wilderness Club combining bonus time and points for a 1 week stay. We arrived on August 22 and departed on August 29 -- just before the Labor Day weekend rush and the rain from Hurricane Gustav. We had beautiful weather while we were there and the only day it rained was the day we left! Temperatures ranged from mid-80s to low 90s but the humidity was not as high as where we live (Charleston, SC).

This is one of the best resorts we have experienced through Bluegreen. We actually stayed in two different lodge rooms (2447A and 2635A). The staff informed us that they would do a "room move" for us so that our stay would not be disrupted by the room change. I was a little skeptical but it worked out great. On the morning of the move, we packed our stuff, left our keys in the room and departed by 10 am to rent a boat at the marina. When we returned to the check in desk that afternoon, we received keys for our new room and when we arrived all of our stuff had been moved and everything was in order.

The rooms were identical and very large; however, we preferred room 2447A over 2635A because it had two private balconies whereas 2635A had one balcony without the privacy wall so you had full view of your neighbor's balcony. Fortunately, no one was ever on that balcony for our stay in the room, so it worked out okay. Room 2447A was also on the top floor and had a better view of the lake. Room 2635A was on the third floor so there was more noise from upstairs and the view wasn't quite as good. Both rooms were very well furnished and very tasteful. Having a jacuzzi with a separate room with a shower was wonderful! The beds in both rooms were comfortable but we preferred the mattress in room 2635A the best -- not quite as firm.

Other amenties we enjoyed on the property were the pool, hot tub, lazy river and shuffle board. The 9 hole miniature golf course wasn't very well laid out but I'm sure kids enjoyed it. We took advantage of the free movie rental but most are older titles. We also enjoyed the free coffee in the clubhouse every morning. We used the free internet access in the clubhouse and my husband used the gym (however, the elipitical machine was broken). We didn't eat at any of the on site restaurants but visited the Buzzard Bar one evening. I thought it was a bit claustrophobic and the drinks a little pricey. We rented a boat at the marina on two different days and thoroughly enjoyed the lake views and tubing. Their set up is great but the gasoline is very pricey -- $5.15 a gallon. We don't regret the experience, though. The shuttle service throughout the property is great and we never had to wait more than a few minutes for a ride. Most of the amenties are within walking distance.

We visited Dogwood Canyon Nature Park and highly recommend the 2 hour tram ride. Apparently we got lucky and visited during the off season because there were only 2 other people on the tram ride with us, so we got extra special treatment from our very knowledgeable guide. We saw (and fed) rainbow trout, saw beautiful waterfalls, learned about Indian caves, visited the chapel, and crossed over into Arkansas where we saw elk, deer and buffalo. This is a nature lover's paradise. It was a very relaxing experience.

We visited Silver Dollar City and got a great deal on tickets -- 2 days for the price of 1. The first day wasn't crowded and we did not wait in line at all for any ride. We also had some great southern food. We took in the free concert that evening in Echo Hollow and had a good time. The second day was the beginning of their Southern Gospel Picnic and was a little more crowded. We had to wait in line for the water rides but heard some great talent. This was a very clean, wholesome experience and we highly recommend this park for any age.

We did not visit any shows in Branson but went to the historic district of Branson one afternoon. We milled around the old shops and had lunch at a farmhouse restaurant. The food was excellent and it was fun to visit the old 5 and dime. We enjoyed two other restaurants while we were there. Lambert's in Springfield (home of the throwed rolls) and Landry's seafood. Both were great.

We expected to see more mountains since this is called Ozark Mountain country, but we mostly experienced hills. We didn't venture far from Branson or the Big Cedar resort so maybe there are higher peaks elsewhere.

This was our first visit to this part of Missouri. Everyone we met was very friendly and the whole place was clean and wholesome. We had a great vacation and highly recommend Big Cedar Wilderness Club.

• Liked — Size, view, jacuzzi tub, shuttle service
  • Disliked — Non-private balcony
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cindyrobinson
Little Rock, AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2008

We just returned from our trip to BCWC. It was our first time staying at Big Cedar. I will certainly stay here again! We had a two bedroom lodge overlooking Table Rock Lake. The views are spectacular! I didn't have any problem w/staff. Quite the opposite in fact! I found the staff to go above and beyond what I have experienced in other resorts. The cookie lady was a huge hit w/my small children! We even rented a boat and played on the lake one of the days we were there. Everyone in our party admitted that not only was the place gorgeous and the staff friendly, but it was the best time that they had all had in quite some time! We will certainly plan another vacation here! It's not too far away from the main hubbub of Branson and we avoided the traffic for the most part. Keep in mind, this is owned by Bass Pro Shops and thus the decor reflects it. If you have ever been in one of the Bass Pro Shop Stores, you understand the rustic lodge and stuffed & mounted animal decor I'm referring to. So if you don't like that look, you probably won't like this resort. My only negative would be that the kitchen in the lodge (bigger side) is a little smaller than I have been in w/other condo resorts. However, we spent very little time in it so it wasn't a big issue. Overall, I think it is a gorgeous resort and my husband and I even bought a timeshare here because we loved it so much!

• Liked — The setting/views as well as the accessibility to area attractions
  • Disliked — size of the kitchen in the 2 bdrm lodge
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank tokelley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgedale
Westgate Branson Lakes Resort
Marriott's Willow Ridge Lodge
Still Waters Resort
Still Waters Resort
#29 of 140 in Branson
The Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks - Lodging
Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa
Bluegreen Vacations Paradise Point, Ascend Resort Collection

Been to The Wilderness Club at Big Cedar? Share your experiences!