“Loved It! Loved It! Loved It!”

The Wilderness Club at Big Cedar
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ridgedale
St. Louis, MO
“Loved It! Loved It! Loved It!”
Reviewed June 6, 2008

This place was MUCH more amazing than we expected! We had a studio in Building 2400 and didn't have much of a view, but we liked the room. The only things I'd change would be to get better pillows, add more lighting in the bathroom (it's also very small...just the toilet and tub/shower) and to have the TV on something that you could pull out and turn towards the bed because you can't watch TV from the bed very well. We never heard people talking while we were in the room, but hearing doors close and people walking down the hall were a little annoying.

The grounds were absolutely goregous...I couldn't believe all of the beautiful flowers they had. The indoor decor everywhere is fabulous too so even if you don't use the restaurants or other facilities, you should at least walk thru to check them out. The food prices were reasonable, I thought, for a big resort. Service at Devil's Pool Restuarant and Buzzard Bar was not great, but maybe that's because we were there on Memorial Day weekend and it was busy. They had a HUGE fireworks display on Sunday evening that seemed to last forever. It was a nice surprise.

The newspapers (USA Today) in the morning and the cookies in the evening were a plus. We used the miniature golf (nothing special except for the GIANT fish on hole 9), paddle boats, and the Lazy River. They have free shuttles available, but everything is within walking distance along nice paths.

We loved this place, it's been one of our favorite trips and we will definitely return in the future. I would highly recommend it!

• Liked — The beautiful resort grounds
  • Disliked — The pillows
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SaintLouie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Harrison Arkansas
Reviewed January 12, 2008

I stayed one week in a two bedroom lodge in the St. James Lodge in a corner unit. Overall, it was a great experience with just a few complaints. I have to say that I agree that the beds are hard and I couldn't sleep well at all on the king mattress. The jacuzzi tub is very small, but it was very relaxing. One thing I really did like was all of the drawer and closet space! I didn't have to trip over any of my luggage or belongings as I had enough room to put everything away and not have things cluttering up the counters. The fireplace was nice, but did notice that the gas smell lingered after you used it. The views were very nice. I did have some noise with people above us as you could hear every step, but nothing too drastic. I had requested to stay on the top floor when I booked my stay months ago and that request wasn't honored and I wasn't told why, but all in all it was a good experience. I did purchase this vacation as part of the sampler and when I called to reconfirm, I was asked to take another tour, but I had recently lost a family member and told them that I really just wanted to rest with my family and not be bothered and they were good as gold. They had my parking passes and everything ready for when I checked in and they never called or bothered me in any way and just let me have the peace that my family and I needed. The cookies are wonderful and we looked forward to those every night. The washer and dryer worked really well and I used them often. The lodges were well equipped with dishes, etc for our stay. There were 3 tvs and dvd/vhs players in our two bedroom unit, so everyone could watch what they wanted without any trouble. The parking lot can get a little tight as some of the lines are faded and people parked too far over and it can be a tight squeeze sometimes. Also, if you arrive at night, it can be a little hard to read some of the signs as they are not lit very well. I probably won't buy another sampler or stay there again, but not because of the property as it is beautiful, but just because of the expense. It was a nice, one-time getaway with great rooms and a peaceful setting. The Wilderness Club has many amenities that I didn't use that I'm sure are wonderful and I wouldn't have any problem recommending this to someone else.

• Liked — Very clean and mostly peaceful setting
  • Disliked — just the beds
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank latkinson
Battlefield
Reviewed January 5, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Big Cedar Wilderness Club for our honeymoon and we loved it! The staff left a basket that had chocolates, champagne glasses with a signed card!
We have stayed at BCWC for 5 years now,, and with a little flexibility on weekends have never had a problem getting into any studio or 1 bedroom, we have always had such beautiful rooms! Just try to book a room on the 2nd to 4th floors for a better view of the lake. Peak red season is always tough to book, but sometimes with 3-4 weeks notice, a studio might be left on the bottom floor, but even these rooms are nice!(Request buildings 24,25, 26, 27, or [29-the newest]. Building 23 is still nice, but the oldest).
We always try to bring our boat and have such a great time on Table Rock Lake. It brings much more activities for a relaxing time, and its available right at the resort!
As far as problems go, we have had maintenance fix anything immediately with just a quick phone call to the front desk. Only once had we heard loud children(not after quiet hours) running up and down the hallway, but security took care of it within a short time. Balcony views are awesome, especially the sunsets!
As far as the updates go, just say no. You don't have to go, and don't feel obligated! If you do, then time them for the 45 minutes(thats what they tell you) and take the $100 Bass Bucks, good for anything on the property, including food at the restaurants and gift shops. It is not worth the time taken on a nice day. Our weather was cool and damp, which was perfect for doing nothing, or an update.
The most anticipated thing each day is the cookie lady, who delivers cookies every evening. If you are not there, she puts them in your room on your bed so you don't miss out(she also has hot chocolate packages if you need them!)
I have read reviews talking about the hard beds. My wife & I have stayed in every building on the Wilderness Club side, and have always had an awesome bed(includes studio, and 1 bedrooms). They are huge king beds and are so comfortable!
As I have written earlier, I have a set number of points that I try to spread out throughout the year. We stay in a studio throughout the warmer weather months because we are not in the room much, only to sleep. The 1 bedroom is best booked when the cooler weather comes, because of the fireplace and jacuzzi(don't need them when its 90 degrees outside!).*Little known plus, even though the studio rooms have a small refrigerator and have very small ice trays, you can go to the Brushy Creek Club house and ask for a complimentary bag of ice each day for free!*
After school starts in the fall is a great time to book, plus all the tree colors around Branson and the lake.
If the restaurants are too pricey for some(they have come down on prices, and have slightly smaller portions), just ask the staff where a good place to eat off property is. A convenience store just a few minutes away has a vendor who smokes some of the best awesome ribs around!
I like to run, especially on trails. The resort has several paved trails, but some of the best challenging walking/running trails start near the horse stable (Be ready to walk in a few places-rocky, even for seasoned marathon runners). They are varing distances, and all loop into each other.
Big Cedar is a beautiful place, at any time of year. We highly recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Always very friendly & helpful staff at check in/out, rooms very clean, very good restaurants on property.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank PandraMartin
Overland Park, KS
Reviewed December 9, 2007

Loved the lodge. We have a 4 and 5 year old and they rode horses and swam in all the pools. You must visit a nearby park called Dogwood Canyon--it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. We will deffinately be back next summer.

ONLY complaint--the beds are hard as rocks--next time I'm bringing some kind of foam or something. It was not a great nights sleep.

• Liked — Awesome activities, fun for the kids, gorgeous setting
  • Disliked — the rock hard beds
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank spectacularone
midwest
Reviewed October 30, 2007

OH MY GOODNESS, I don't know if 5 stars are a high enough rating for this place. This vacation was a gift from my sister and brother-in-law (I surely now know they must love me). When we arrived at Big Cedar I know that I lost my breath, it is in a gorgeous setting. We stayed in a lodge, they had a 1 bedroom and my husband and I had a studio next door so the door opened between the two rooms which meant we had a HUGE place. The decor is first class (I would love to hire their designer) and they think of everything you could need from shampoo,condtioner, dishes, pots & pans dishwaher detergent and even the laundry detergent if you have a room with a washer & dryer. Really all we had bring was food and drinks, or they have restaraunts there on the grounds if you don't want to cook. If you need to go anywhere, just call the shuttle and tell them what time and they will be there to pick you up! I will caution you about 2 things, 1- you will get so spoiled to the cookies that they bring you every eveining and 2- you won't want to leave! This place is awesome!, the staff is outstanding and the surroundings are breath-taking!
Thanks to my sister and brother-in-law, I have found a piece of heaven right here on earth!

• Stayed September 2007
3 Thank meagin97
Kansas
Reviewed October 25, 2007

We have been owners since the beginning of Big Wilderness Club and ALL of our stays have been fabulous. The resort itself is beyond compare if you like an outdoor atmosphere and beautiful views. We have liked all of the rooms we stayed in. Our only complaint has been the actual booking process. In comparing our experience to another review, I guess we are just no longer flexible enough to be able to get the time we want, when we are able to book it. But for folks who can be more flexible and book ahead, I can't imagine having issues. Our rooms always have everything you can think of and if not, we have just called to have it delivered. You can't beat the cookie lady either! And for those with kids.........very family oriented. We will probably sell our timeshare for something that better suits us, but I have to say that the property itself is lovely.

• Liked — The views!
  • Disliked — The booking process.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank DiveGalKansas
Oklahoma
Reviewed October 22, 2007

This is our 4th trip to Big Cedar resort. Our whole family looks forward to going to Big Cedar time and time again. This trip my daughter (10 years old) spilled some hot cider on her hand in the boutique. The lady behind the desk escorted her into the bathroom to run cold water on her hand while my husband went to get me in the nature tower. The staff called the first responder team and security and they attended to my daughter very promptly. The first responder gave her a stuffed animal when he was done assessing her. We retreated to our room to rest and suddenly there was a knock at the door. A staff member delivered a tee shirt and card personally signed by the front desk staff to my daughter. She was thrilled and we all felt that they cared about us and the rest of our vacation.
The next night, our lodge neighbor had a barking dog in their room. We called the front desk and security was there within minutes. They located the owner and the barking stopped. Big Cedar credited a portion of our room cost for the inconvienence.
We love Big Cedar and have recommended it to all our friends and family. They are truly an example of excellent customer service.

• Liked — service and friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — cost and quality of food in on-site restaurants
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank OklahomaBusymom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgedale
Westgate Branson Lakes Resort
Marriott's Willow Ridge Lodge
Westgate Branson Woods Resort
Still Waters Resort
Still Waters Resort
#30 of 140 in Branson
Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa
D'Monaco Luxury Resort & Restaurant.

Been to The Wilderness Club at Big Cedar? Share your experiences!