“40th Birthday Surprise on Steroids!”
Review of Big Cedar Lodge

Big Cedar Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ridgedale
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I am compelled to review after our stay here. I'm sitting in our cabin living room dreading ever leaving! Let me just share the highlights of what made this place so great for my husband's 40th birthday trip.

Exceptional Service:
We added a night and they didn't have the cabin available, so we stayed the first night in the lodge, which was clean and comfy. The next day, we called them to tell them we were out of the room and they moved our luggage to the cabin for us and called us on our cell phones when it was ready.
My husband and his best friend came in a separate car and checked in before me and his friend's wife. Michelle at the front desk knew our names when we got there and told us how funny our husbands had been. She made it seem like we were checking into a hotel we frequented and were welcome back to.
When we checked into our cabin, we noticed that the air conditioning was blowing, but not as cool as it seemed it should. We called about it and the guy who came out to check it was friendly, informative, and prompt. It was fixed within an hour.
When we got to our cabin, there was a balloon, birthday cake, a snack basket, and a fridge full of drinks. All complimentary (I'm sure the price of the cabin helped support the cost, but it was nice not having to pay an additional 2.50 for a water).
Everyone we have encountered has a servant spirit. It's amazing and probably one of the things that has made our stay so unbearable to end.

Cleanliness:
I'm sure my friend won't mind me telling you she's a borderline germaphobe. When we got to the cabin, she was mortified and mystified by the deer heads and animal skins (much to my entertainment), but mostly she was impressed that there was NO dust or spiderwebs or dirt anywhere. She really marveled at this. The grounds and the shops and the restaurants are no exception. We joke that the cleaning crew is staffed by ex-CIA operatives with extra time on their hands. You never see them, but they are cleaning all around you.

We couldn't even take advantage of it all. This would be an awesome place to bring kids. Read the website for the comprehensive list, but this place would engage even the most seriously attention-sucking toddler or tween for days (I was going to say weeks, but I have said toddler and tween at home, so I had to be realistic). The best part? Other than the spa obviously, every amenity I can think of is free with your stay. Paddle boats, canoe rentals, games, DVD's, shuffle board, fitness center, volleyball, putt putt, etc.

The bad (typed with heavy sarcasm):
If you just washed your car, you might not appreciate the gorgeous waterfalls you have to drive through to get to registration.
Your stay does, eventually, have to end.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank DoriYoung

Reviewed March 14, 2011

When we booked this stay, I was looking to go somewhere big, but we only had a few days to get away so we settled on somewhere close. I wasn't expecting much, but was blown away!!! Dinner at the Worman house was excellent. The food, view, service and music all
came together for a relaxing evening. Overall it was perfect quick getaway

• Stayed: March 2011
4  Thank okdds
Reviewed March 7, 2011

It was difficult to chose between business and leisure in the trip purpose section! We were there for a conference, but it was sheer pleasure for me! I had some trepidation when told that we were going to a place with "cabins" near Branson. I had a vision of a cabin being just this side of a lean-to! Well, I was certainly WRONG! The cabins are absolutely beautiful, nestled in the woods overlooking the lovely lake. They are well appointed with very comfortable king beds (I think there are other options), a completely appointed kitchen, wonderful bath (huge whirlpool bath, separate shower (with spa type multiple shower heads). The living area is very comfortable with a great fireplace (wood delivered daily). Full deck with BBQ pit, as well. I cannot say enough to compliment the staff. Everyone we encountered absolutely bent over backwards to accomodate our every wish. Since it was winter, we did not take advantage of the many activities, except the spa. Probably the best massage I have ever had and a wonderful pedicure.

The restaurants were wonderful with gourmet selections, perfectly prepared. The bars were hopping with everyone having a great time. There are shuttle buses that arrive within moments to transport you anywhere in the resort. Can you tell that we had a great experience here? Though a totally different concept, I would put Big Cedar on a par with the Grand Wailea or Four Seasons in Maui or the Plaza in NYC, that is with reference to quality, staff and service.

The gift shop is great, and without the typical "rip-off" pricess found at most resorts. Speaking of shopping...there are high end outlet malls in nearby Branson that feature shops like Coach and Ann Taylor...got some awesome bargains.

You can't go wrong, in our opinion, with Big Cedar Lodge! We will return!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank mikepattid
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We stayed in the "GW Bush" cabin (thank goodness we're not liberals), and while it's nicely decorated and offered a great wood-burning fireplace, the rest of the cabin was "small". Over a 48 hr period, we had to call for maintenance seven times to fix things such as a burner on the stove, the heating (it was putting out airconditioning), drain in the tub wouldn't open once closed, and so on. Hotel mgt handled everything as well as could be expected, but cabin was over $800! We took all eight of us on the horsedrawn wagon ride to look at the property holiday lights and it was basically over in 40 mins (marketed to be an hr activity and the most popular during the Xmas season) -- $30/person -- wow, felt a little ripped off. And I agree with another reviewer who commented on the quality of beds not being up to the standard you'd expect for such a high price. Anyway, everyone's praised this property for so long, but we'll not be back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
10  Thank singaporemarsha
Reviewed January 26, 2011

This is a great place to get away from it all. Wonderful cabins. Great staff. Tons of stuff to do or you can be left alone and do you own thing. It snowed while we were there and they had all the roads in and out of there cleared so you could get out and go if you wanted to. We have stayed there a bunch of times and we are never disappointed!

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tbone6361
Reviewed January 26, 2011

My husband & I took a weekend getaway together to Big Cedar Lodge. It was wonderful! We only wished that we could have stayed longer. Our room was just as described. We stayed in the Falls Lodge deluxe king room. Beautiful! The staff was extremely accomodating and helpful. The shuttle service on the property was prompt and courteous. We dined several times at the Devils Pool restaurant. All three experiences were the same - great food, excellent service.

I highly recommend this resort to everyone. We can't wait to go back and are looking forward to bringing our family on the next trip.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PamelaD_1173
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I've been to Big Cedar before with just the wife and I, but this last trip was for the kids and to celebrate the oldest birthday. The resort itself is the perfect blend of natural surroundings and the creature comforts one would need when on vacation. During previous visits, we've enjoyed the spa services the massive gift shop primarly.

However, during this last trip we included the kids and got to enjoy some of the other amenities they have for the younger crowd: minature golf, carriage rides, game room etc...from the moment we entered the property with the drive thru brook and waterfall, which was received with a rousing ear piercing scream from the kids as they enjoyed the view overlooking the lake at the entrance...all the way to the actual cabin we stayed. The fun never stopped...

A couple of addt'l notes, when we booked the stay, we mentioned it was for a kids birthday, but didn't request any addt'l items added and such. When we arrived to the cabin, there was a birthday cake made out to my daughter with her name...we literally had no idea that was going to be there...just a small example of the top notch service they provide and how they really listen to the guests to provide one of the most fulfilling stays you can expect. Additionally, you HAVE TO do the tram ride at their sister "property" Dogwood Canyon Park...amazing, beautiful and downright fun. Watch out for the ox and such that will lick your hand if you let them!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank EJnMO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgedale
Marriott's Willow Ridge Lodge
Westgate Branson Lakes Resort
Westgate Branson Woods Resort
Hotel Grand Victorian
Hotel Grand Victorian
#19 of 133 in Branson
Hilton Promenade at Branson Landing
The Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks - Lodging

Been to Big Cedar Lodge? Share your experiences!