“Typical good Marriott service, older building”

Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria
Reviewed July 25, 2013

As other reviewers have noted, this is an older Residence Inn property and I thought my room showed some heavy wear. I stayed two nights. I appreciated that everyone I encountered had a friendly and pleasant demeanor. That being said, My room had some maintenance issues. I was traveling alone and my room had a sliding patio door that opened to the parking lot. I always check that the locks work properly when checking in, and in this case, mine didn't on the sliding door. I called about the issue and someone showed up in about a minute to try to fix it. About 15 min. later it was repaired. The next day, after opening the door to get some fresh air, I discovered the lock didn't work again. I called, but it was 8 PM and no maintenance was on site. The door did have a safety bar mechanism, so they told me just to use that as my way to lock the door. I didn't feel uncomfortable doing so, but still, not ideal.
They had all new fitness equipment from LifeFitness delivered the day I checked in. The gym is super small though but good to know they updated equipment.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LJ713
RI_Marriott_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry about the issue you had with your sliding glass door. Thank you for reporting it and I am sorry that we did not resolve the issue the first time you called it in. You mentioned that there were some other maintenance issues with the room. If you have a chance, please contact me at Adam.Plous@Marriott.com, I would like to hear about the other issues. Once again thank you very much for staying with us and I am glad to hear that our staff was friendly and pleasant.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family of 5 stayed here for one night during a long road trip. If we could have spent all our nights here, I would have. We were able to walk to the train to go downtown and felt safe doing so. The rooms' two floors gave us a little more feeling of separation and space. The breakfast was good, although crowded during our stay. Did not make it to the mall, but it looked nice

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Teri_0951
RI_Marriott_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel after your stay. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our Penthouse Suite gave you some seperation and space. Thanks again for staying and we hope to see you again sometime soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my first stay at a Residence inn (frequent Fairfield inns, and Hampton Inns). I was very surprised when I drove up to find it was not your typical hotel - it looked more like a town house community with groupings of suites in each building. I was in 1514 in the back on the first floor. It was a little remote - but VERY quiet! I checked in early and spent the day site seeing and visiting my niece. I got back late at night and it seemed a bit dark walking to my room alone from the parking lot to the back of the building, but there was a security guard patrolling the area which was nice. (It seems like a nice area - but you never know!).
The hotel is one block from the light rail station and a couple of blocks to the Galleria mall (Nordstrom, Macy, Dillards). While there is an interstate, between inn and mall it is on an overpass so there are roads and sidewalks underneath so it is walkable if you are so inclined - but I'd recommend a car.
The breakfast was fantastic for a hotel. There were freshly scrambled eggs (not powdered!), canadian turkey bacon, two kinds of potatoes (potato pancakes and fried potatoes made from scratch). The toppings for the eggs included cheese and salsa - typically Marriott style - which I love. There was fresh yogurt with fresh fruit, oatmeal and the waffle machine with assorted toppings to go on the waffles. Strawberry sauce, whipped cream, and a variety of other toppings (chocolate chips?). This was far better than the "typical breakfast" due to the hot selections and all the toppings for everything. It far exceeded my expectations. There were also hard boiled eggs, a variety of pastries, breads, etc., cereal, and fresh fruit. This breakfast could hold you over until dinner. It was delicious. The milk came in cartons and there was 2% and skim. THere were a variety of coffee and tea choices as well. I had to walk past several buildings outside to get to breakfast but it wasn't too hot out for the day and it was nice to stretch my legs. You could drive if you didn't want to walk but it really wasn't far. Lots of business people staying here.
My room had a king bed a nice living room with a fireplace (It was 97 degrees when I visited so I don't know if it works), couch and chair, a desk area and chair and full kitchen. It was spacious. The bathroom area was large until you got into the room with the toilet and tub. There was about a 3 inch clearance between the door and the toilet seat. The distance between the tub and door was about 3ft, 4 inches (Based on tile length guess) and the door was about 3 feet. Strange to have area so tight for an otherwise large room. The sink area outside is huge. Since I spent the night by myself this was not an issue, but struck me as strange. Kitchen was fully furnished.
This was not what I was expecting when I booked (never been to a residence inn before and was expecting one building), but I was pleasantly surprised and impressed. I'd definitely stay here again!
Staff at front desk were friendly and attentive. No problems!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nancyVa

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an excellent review of our hotel. We are so glad that you loved your stay and we hope to see you again sometime!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

What I would expect from a Residence Inn. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, nice staff. Only complaint is the fitness room. The air didn't seem cool enough for exercise, the treadmill was broken, which left a bike and the elliptical. No weights of any kind. Other than that, it was a good stay.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ptnole1
RI_Marriott_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you found the staff friendly and the room to be clean. I apologize about the Fitness Center....the good news is that we have 3 brand new Life Fitness machines that are arriving in the next 2 weeks! Thank you for staying with Marriott and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here after a visit to the STL Zoo with my 2 sons and husband.. BY FAR this is the best Hotel type... the accommodations are GREAT and clean & spacious.. the location is near the mall and ZOO.. Great price and location.. Would definitely Stay again!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank virgo825
RI_Marriott_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled that you loved the price and the location, and that you found the rooms clean and spacious. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in an excellent location. The room gives you a sense of home and it is economical for a family because you have the convenience of a full kitchen. You have access to a small work out area mainly for cardio. The complimentary breakfast is also a plus, especially if you are travelling on a budget. I would recommend this hotel to others because economically it can benefit a family and it is located in a nice area of St Louis. My family and I will also stay here again as well.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank harper3373

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thilled that you enjoyed the stay. We agree that all of the complimentary items (breakfast, internet, parking) make our hotel a great place for families to stay. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed at this property when my mother was in the hospital. It was a typical residence inn studio, with a full kitchen, etc. My original reservation was for 1 week, and when I needed to extend it, I was first told that they were sold out. However, given the circumstances, the manager extended my reservation saying he was sure there would be a cancellation. I couldn't have asked for more. The rest of the staff was very friendly, breakfast was good. I never was back in time to enjoy the happy hour. I appreciated that they could sell me a roll of quarters when I needed to do laundry. Unfortunately I was in a first-floor room and could hear all of the activity in the suite above me.

Room Tip: If you can manage the stairs, ask for a second floor room