“Worth a visit”

Homewood Suites St. Louis - Galleria
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Our four-day stay started out poorly, marred by finding a maintenance worker in our room when we checked in and a very chaotic fire alarm and evacuation (sort of) minutes later. Things soon settled down and went smoothly from then on. The good things: The price was right. The King Suite had lots of room, a comfy bed and a well equipped kitchen. Wireless is easy to access and fast. There's an outstanding fitness center--far beyond the two-treadmills-and-an-elliptical you usually see. It has everything my local Y has except a running track. Staff throughout the hotel look for ways to be helpful, but the breakfast staff really shines. The bad things: The suites need a place inside the door to hang coats; even a coat rack would help. The locale is busy and congested with fast-moving traffic. While there are some excellent restaurants in the general area (check out the many options in Clayton's downtown several blocks to the north) there aren't many within walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 25, 2010

We're a longtime Hilton & Hampton couple, this was our first Homewood experience. All I can say is we thought it a great value, and will definitely be back whenever we return to StL.

It's in a great location for what we wanted to do around the Hill and Central west end. Easy to get in and out of. Motel itself was immaculate, and the staff really friendly and helpful. The breakfast spread was really good. We requested a room away from the freeway and it was super quiet. I did spend some time hanging around in a room on the freeway side and though noisier, I would not say it would be a deal breaker, actually quieter than most rooms I havebeen in that border a busy highway.

OveralI I can't say one negative thing about our stay, I'm pretty impressed with this place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2010

This hotel is clean, modern, and fairly new. It's very convenient to shopping, restaurants, and has super quick access to the highway. The staff is friendly and helpful, there's free parking, and a free breakfast in the morning (get there early or it will be packed). Only downside, if you want to take a swim - it has the tiniest indoor pool I've ever seen! Also it sits very close to the highway and is a bit noisy - ask for a room facing the mall instead.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2010

This is a very nice location, great quality of rooms and ammenities. My situation: I had a four night stay that ended on Oct 1. There was a Hilton promotion that ended on Sept 30th. I was just looking to see if there was a way to still qualify for the double point promotion that ended on Sept 30th even if I was there until Oct 1. OK, maybe I didn't deserve the double points because I didn't meet the criteria it just would have been nice for someone in mgmt to have been honest and told me that. Instead I got the constant run around from the front office staff:
- I asked about it when I checked in, was told the mgr would reach out to me. I heard nothing
- I asked again the next night and was told the mgr would reach out to me, I heard nothing
- I asked a third time on the 3rd day, was told the mgr would reach out to me, I heard nothing
- I got my invoice under the door the morning of Oct 1st that confirmed I would not be getting double points.

Again, since my stay did not end on Sept 30th, I didn't really meet the criteria, but just let me know. Don't ignore me.

I have 3 other stays scheduled in St Louis between now and the end of the year, and am already looking for other locations, and properties that are owned by a different entity. I don't care to do business with this kind of operation.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank efitravelor
Reviewed July 28, 2010

The hotel is new, and the facilities seem fine. I had booked a nonsmoking room, but was given a smoking room that smelled terrible. In fact, the hotel's ozone air cleaning machine was still in the room.

When we tried to change, we were first told we could not because the hotel was fully booked. Eventually, we were given another room, but it was not until some negotations (at 1:00 am.) Checkout was slow because the new room was listed under someone else's name.

My sense is that management and customer service could be improved.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We travelled across the country from Los Angeles to Chicago last summer and fell in love with several Homewood Suites properties. This hotel is all new, very modern design and clean as a whistle. Wonderful front desk + hospitality. Can't wait to visit again next summer!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Stayed 2 nights with family of 6 in a one bedroom suite-- wish I had read the reviews a little more closely. We are Hilton Hhonors members so we chose this hotel, checkin was fast efficient, parking was free, and the hotel is close to the interstate and across the street from a great mall (I went to college in Clayton and this is one of the best malls in the area). The breakfast in the morning was fine, except it was very crowded with families and you had to wait for a table and high chairs. Not ideal with hungry kids. The staff were all very friendly, the hotel was spotless and the business center was great. Wireless internet and wired internet were a snap in the rooms.

The major issues? We got a corner suite on the side above the highway...sooo loud. ask for the other side (facing the mall) for sure. my husband and I slept on the cheapest sofa bed imaginable-- the bedsprings were literally gouging into our backs. The bedroom seemed nice though. The bathroom was fine, except the toilet got clogged on day 2 and it took over an hour for anyone to come-- hard when you have 5 people trying to get ready to go out in the morning. The kitchen was well stocked and adequate, brand new appliances, etc.

If you are going to this hotel because it has a pool-- think again!!!! THE SMALLEST POOL I have ever seen at a hotel--and I've been to every class of hotel. even Sleep Inn and Super 8's have bigger pools. The jacuzzi was fine, but the pool area was so small if there were more than 5 people in the room it was deafeningly loud. Since the hotel had a lot of families, it was too crazy for words in there.

Overall, if we had gotten a room not next to the highway, the toilet hadn't clogged, the pool wasn't miniscule, the wait for a table in the dining area, and the sofabed wasn't just one big bedspring, this stay woulda been perfect. It is a nice hotel with some kinks.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria
Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria
#2 of 2 in Richmond Heights

Been to Homewood Suites St. Louis - Galleria? Share your experiences!