“Great food, but...”

Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Tracy, CA
“Great food, but...”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were passing through at lunch time on a Sunday afternoon. It was a little busier than I would have expected. We were seated and order taken fairly promptly considering how busy they were. I ordered a cherry limeade and was informed by the staff that it does not come with free refills. I have ordered this drink at every Steak N Shake I have ate at and it has always been refilled. She informed me that it was the manager's policy at this particular location. I didn't need a refill anyway, but I did feel it was a little odd. We both ordered burgers and fries and a chili mac to share. The food tasted great! It was fresh and hot and very tasty. I ordered shredded melted cheedar cheese on my fries and it came out perfect. When we were done it seemed like it took awhile to get our waitress' attention to get a to go box and cup. Husband even went to the counter to ask while I stayed at the table. We both ate for $20.

• Visited May 2013

Corning, Arkansas
“A positive change!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

My previous review ripped the wait staff pretty bad. That was in June 2012. I have been the a few times in the last couple of months and I must say, "Things have got way better". As always, the food is very good, but the servers have become a lot more friendly and attentive. The speed of getting served is still a bit slow, but the people are friendly. THAT helps take the edge off. I look forward to returning.

Paragould, Arkansas
“It was good but...”
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

It seemed like the portions were much smaller than other Steak N Shakes we had been to. Even the plates seemed to be much smaller. Our food was very good though.

The price was great. Our meal was about $20 for 2 people (that includes two milkshakes we got to go). We will probably eat here again next time we are in town.

Wappapello, Missouri, United States
“Got up and left with out even getting drinks.”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My daughter and I got seated and about 15 minutes later a busload of school kids came in. my daughter and I were amazed when two waitresses hustled out to start taking the kids drink orders. I told my daughter and I got up and spoke to the women that was checking people out. I said "we were here before the busload of people and we haven't even had our drink orders taken yet" The women just said what table are you all at? I said "we are leaving" all she said was "ok"

No I'm sorry, no nothing.

• Visited January 2013
POPLAR BLUFF
“How to be treated like an idiot”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been frequenting Steak and Shake since my mother's death in 2011. I go 3 to 5 times a week. I go there so much they have told me to seat myself and not wait on them. Last year I dropped probably close to 2 thousand eating there. I went in there Sunday and saw a party of 4 waiting at the door. I seated myself in a booth for 2 people. There was plenty of seating for the party of 4. One of the servers, Brittany, looked at me and just blurted out--" There are a bunch of people waiting at the door and they have been waiting there for quite awhile. You just cut in right in front of them." I stood up and looked at her and told her I had been told I could seat myself. Her response was, " It's normally not a problem, but we are really busy." I told her I might be back. I then proceeded to tell her that it was a party of 4 at the door. What she doesn't know is that I followed them in the door. There was plenty of seating for them and her rude behavior was totally uncalled for. I left and I don't intend on going back anytime soon. She knew how frequently I was there and knew I always tipped. I hope these strangers tipped her as well as she would have gotten if it were me, a repeat customer. I suppose Steak N Shake doesn't need our business. I have noticed it going down hill and not being nearly as clean as it once was. The help is becoming less and less friendly as well. I did not enjoy being treated like an idiot and flat out being told I was being rude when I wasn't. If she treats all her customers that way I can only assume because her brother is a manager and her mother works there is what keeps her job. I don't recommend it to anyone on the basis of slow service and poor excuses for some of the waitresses. There are plenty of other good places to eat in POplar Bluff. Brittany's own words verify that they are slow as molasses with their service.

• Visited September 2012