“How to be treated like an idiot”
Review of Steak 'n Shake

Steak 'n Shake
Ranked #13 of 75 Restaurants in Poplar Bluff
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been frequenting Steak and Shake since my mother's death in 2011. I go 3 to 5 times a week. I go there so much they have told me to seat myself and not wait on them. Last year I dropped probably close to 2 thousand eating there. I went in there Sunday and saw a party of 4 waiting at the door. I seated myself in a booth for 2 people. There was plenty of seating for the party of 4. One of the servers, Brittany, looked at me and just blurted out--" There are a bunch of people waiting at the door and they have been waiting there for quite awhile. You just cut in right in front of them." I stood up and looked at her and told her I had been told I could seat myself. Her response was, " It's normally not a problem, but we are really busy." I told her I might be back. I then proceeded to tell her that it was a party of 4 at the door. What she doesn't know is that I followed them in the door. There was plenty of seating for them and her rude behavior was totally uncalled for. I left and I don't intend on going back anytime soon. She knew how frequently I was there and knew I always tipped. I hope these strangers tipped her as well as she would have gotten if it were me, a repeat customer. I suppose Steak N Shake doesn't need our business. I have noticed it going down hill and not being nearly as clean as it once was. The help is becoming less and less friendly as well. I did not enjoy being treated like an idiot and flat out being told I was being rude when I wasn't. If she treats all her customers that way I can only assume because her brother is a manager and her mother works there is what keeps her job. I don't recommend it to anyone on the basis of slow service and poor excuses for some of the waitresses. There are plenty of other good places to eat in POplar Bluff. Brittany's own words verify that they are slow as molasses with their service.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

They have decent breakfast and Ialways like their Frisco melts, Their beef vegetable soup is good also. Steer clear of their chili,its awful.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I love steak and shake, especially the burger that has the bbq sause and fried onion pieces. They have good fries and friendly service as well.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have never been disappointed in Steak'n'Shake. The food is consistent, but the service is dependent on the wait staff. Some good some bad. The one in Poplar Bluff is one of the slowest and least friendly ones I have even in. Perhaps it's just the luck of the draw for me. Surely there are some good friendly people working there. The only place I've been that is worse is Tulsa. Seems that they hire so young that they don't have respect for people/customers. In defense I will say, "I HAVE met some great staff the gave GREAT service."

Reviewed April 19, 2012

We always enjoy Steak n Sahke, especially chili on a chilly evening. Food was good, got one package of crackers, had to flag down someone else for more. No refills. Small tip.