“A Miserable Disappointment”

Seabreeze Holiday Park
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A Miserable Disappointment”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Maybe I'm the not the camping type, or maybe this park is just abysmal, I don't know. All I have to say is that if I want to spend a brief three nights staying in Coromandel over New Years, I should not be required to pay $200 because the minimum stay is five nights. As if I want to spend almost a week saying in a blistering hot tent in a place where the cafe doesn't open until 11am, and the showers are $2 for a minuscule 5 minutes of hot water!

I do appreciate that my party and I chose to sleep in tents. I wouldn't dream of how much they would want to rip us off for booking a cabin.

Not to mention the fact that the other people staying at the park were disgusting, loud, obnoxious and just plain revolting!

On a higher note, the cafe did serve us some very nice curly fries with aioli. However, the coffees took a very long time to come, and when they did, they weren't worth the wait. I've made a better latte at home with an espresso machine.

Quite honestly, you need to get it together Seabreeze. I definitely will not return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Annoyed437

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Huddersfield
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here- we had a powered site for our campervan. Staff were friendly , welcoming and helpful. We took advantage of the shovel for hot water beach. The new micro brewery / brasserie on the site was great and we had a very good meal here and this lifted our rating to 4.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We loved this holiday park and would highly recommend it to people thinking about staying at the area.
I think some of the reviews are a bit harsh, I found the property to be clean and the lovely man that was on duty was so friendly and helpful.
We stayed in the Tui cabin, it was spacious, clean and away from everything so we had our own peace and privacy. The property was a short drive away from Hot Water Beach, Cathedral Cover & Cooks Beach (nice place to get some Fish n Chips for dinner).
Even though we had our own facilities in our cabin, we did check out the lounge (cosy and warm) the toilets (very clean) and the backpacker rooms (once again very clean).
The Tui cabin was well worth the $100 and I would like to thank the staff for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CCstar14
SeabreezeHolidayPark, Owner at Seabreeze Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. Glad you enjoyed your stay and Yes Alan is a wonderful host to all our guests . You will have to come back and sample our craft beer in the summer time! Thank you again,
Travel safely, Kind regards,
Dawn .
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Another conversion, another joining the hostel market. While when you enter it is a bit strange as its more like a RV site feel but after you park, its quite okay. Their supermarket should be stocked more adequately and they do have a small and nice video collection you could borrow. you could borrow spades as well to use. The rooms were clean but the bunk beds are a bit low on one side which is a bit strange. The toilets felt really sterile but its clean but I hated the fact that we had to deposit coins for hot water(its free from the front desk) but its still weird.. We stayed in the room opp the toilet which was okay as there wasn't really much toilet movement. The staff is really nice too.

Side note: we were like the only guests in the entire hostel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank angExplorer
SeabreezeHolidayPark, Owner at Seabreeze Holiday Park, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We do appreciate it. We do agree our store needs more stock and have increased our campstore items as best we can in terms of space available. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Dawn and Alan.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We used a tent site here and took advantage of the kitchen and lounge area. It was very quiet at night, but there was some construction going on during the day. We were able to use a spade for a refundable deposit to bring to Hot Water Beach. We borrowed the spade for a night time low tide and were able to keep it until the next day so we could go to the beach in the morning as well. We were told we would only need one spade for 3 of us, but it would have been better to have 3 spades. (it wasn't busy so I think another 2 spades could have been spared). You did have to use a token for a hot shower but that seems pretty common around the country in holiday parks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SeabreezeHolidayPark, Owner at Seabreeze Holiday Park, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Seabreeze,. You will have to come back and check out our brewery/restaurant we are currently building and due to open in August!
KInd regards,
Dawn and Alan.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I wasn't a huge fan of Seabreeze Holiday Park, especially when compared to the high standard of most NZ hostels. I am reviewing Cowree Lodge, which is the 'hostel' section of the holiday park, which also contains self-contained units and tent spaces.

I was met with derision from the girl on the desk, who treated me as if I had crawled out from the bottom of her toilet. A friend had dropped me off, and when I asked if she might nip into the building to use the loo, the girl said 'has she paid to stay here?'. I frostily informed her that she might use the toilet instead of myself, if that was how the toilet system worked!

They advertise the use of free bikes to HWB, which is true, but they are in a terrible state & you have to pay a cash deposit. Mine looked like it had been reclaimed from an Addams Family garage sale, it was that old & rusty.

The prices, when compared to other, better, hostels in the Coromandel Peninsula area, are a bit of a rip off when you consider the state of the facilities.

The bathrooms were clean, no complaints there, though the token for five minutes of hot water system was mildly irritating.

The kitchen was an absolute shambles. The sinks and surfaces were dirty and I hunted for about 10 mins to find a can opener for my baked beans, only to find a broken one. There was a severe lack of utensils and cutlery. I understand that many campers bring utensils etc. with them, but backpackers who are sleeping in hostels don't!

A girl I met in the kitchen was given a tent to sleep in, for the same price as a bed in the lodge ($30!) as they were overbooked. The tent had broken poles and was full of holes so ants got in there in the night.

My room was tiny, and I was located on the top bunk, so had barely enough room to lift my head before it hit the ceiling. The mattress sagged and it was generally unpleasant.

On the plus side, the girl seemed to get more friendly as time went on, and she was nice to me when I checked out, presumably she was happy to see me leave.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Laura D
SeabreezeHolidayPark, Owner at Seabreeze Holiday Park, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay.Guests tell us
we have an awesome, friendly staff team and our prices are the cheapest in the Hotwater beach area with a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets.
Thank you for your review.
Kind regards, Dawn.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our phone call was well received and registration was pleasant and informative.
Our 'chalet' had everything we needed/wanted including outside chairs on the verandah, ceiling fan, Sky tv, cutlery, crockery and linens.
We were pleased to find such a nice place which would allow us to have our dog along. He's a quiet clean old dog, and loves to travel, but can't always.

When the onsite cafe and pool are completed, I'll increase my rating of Seabreeze. As it is, the best beaches in the world are nearby and the staff referred us to Colenso, an award winning cafe, which is just down the road. What's not to love? http://www.colensocafe.co.nz/food.html

They also seem to provide shovels for Hot Water Beach, and other gear to make life fun. Simple deposit and refund upon return of gear. Very thoughtful.

We were happy to extend our exploration of Coro Peninsula by staying here two nights!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SeabreezeHolidayPark, Owner at Seabreeze Holiday Park, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thats great you were able to stay and enjoy the Coromandel for longer! Enjoy the rest of beautiful NZ too.
Kind regards, Dawn and Alan.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whenuakite
Coromandel TOP 10 Holiday Park
Shelly Beach Top 10 Holiday Park
Mercury Bay Holiday Park
Mercury Bay Holiday Park
#5 of 23 in Whitianga

Been to Seabreeze Holiday Park? Share your experiences!