Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Osage Beach
Kansas City
“Renovate PLEASE!”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Definitely NOT what I expected. Hubby was there for a work conference and baby and I tagged along, hoping for a nice mini-vacay. Room smelled musty and was humid if air conditioner was set to more than 70 degrees. Stained towels. All of them but two. Yuck. We stayed in Tower E, which from what I understand, is better than the others. The shower was updated and clean. The carpets were dirty. And the chair and comforter on the bed gave me the hee-bee-gee-bees. Hilly. Not stroller/wheelchair-friendly. Our welcome packet had a voucher for a complimentary portrait at the photography studio on-site, but there's a sign on the studio door indicating they no longer offer comp photo. Tasteless to continue to place the voucher in packets. Customer service was nice. Everyone I encountered was helpful and friendly, but this place needs a serious renovation. Was definitely ready to go home. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank KansasCityTraveler33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We left there very satisfied as they adressed many of our concerns during our stay. The layout is beautiful very lodge inspired, but the inside needs updating badly. Its the kind of place that shouldn't advertise how old it is. You get the point..

My real problems were with the staff... no one at the front desk, but throughout the place several problems.
The worse was MR. D'S bartener... omg.. rude, and had no idea what he was doing. He had to look at the menu to know what liqours to use and had to search for the bottles after, there was no talent, no show. My drink was very much on the rocks.. piles of rocks barely any drink! Oh and each drink was $10, We went there our first night around midnight... advoid it!!!- you wanna drink go to the pool bar

We got a great deal on this place so I ended up enjoying my first visit to the Osarks.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Tan-Tar-A really is a wonderful resort on Lake of the Ozarks! They have two huge outdoor pools, waterslide, one with a pool deck right on the lake-the Jetty Bar-snack bar is great too, right by the pools, and they even come around and take your orders from your chairs!

As far as the property itself, yes, it is older, and hilly, so be prepared to walk and walk!! We stayed in building "E", which is the building across from the lobby with the connecting walkway to the rest of the resort. I would definitely recommend staying in this building...it's the newest, and therefore the nicest on the resort. Make sure that you request the "resort complex" vs. the "estate complex"!! The estates is farther away from the hotel and doesn't appear to be nearly as nice. The rate was only $129 a night, which was extremely reasonable for the amenities and resort you get. They do throw in a $10 "resort fee" per night, but most resorts do that these days for wireless internet access throughout the resort, etc. Plus, if you stay 3 or more nights like we did, you get $75 in "Tan-Tar-A fun money", which you can use at restaurants (Black Bar, Windrose, Sbarro, Burger King, to name a few), bars, bowling alley on site, arcade on site (Bear's Den-kids love it!), mini golf on site, etc.

Food-overall very good. Everything is pricey, but you have to remember that you're at a resort. No dollar menu at Burger King, here! I would definitely recommend eating at the Black Bear Lodge Restaruant's Breakfast Buffet! It is truely wonderful with a huge selection for $12.95 per person. Everything was so fresh and delicious.
Tan-Tar-A is a great resort in a great location on the lake! When we stayed, they were sold out...and they have hundreds of rooms, so this shows how popular this place is :)

Shops-there is a whole row of gift shops in the resort. There is a main gift shop with Tan-Tar-a gifts & souvineers, a Corner Coffee Shop with quick fix items, drinks, and delicious homemade fudge, jewerly shop, Wood'n'you want it shop, Lindee's clothing, old time picture studio, etc.

I'm not sure why there are so many poor reviews of the property on tripadvisor. Many of these people must have stayed in the estates complex of the resort or in older buildings. I'm telling you, if you take my advice and stay in building E, you will be set for a great vacation.

Several golf courses right by, but we didn't go there to golf!

There really isn't even a reason to leave the resort--we stayed for 3 nights and only left once. Everything you need is right there!

Take my advice and ignore the poor reviews and give this place a try!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I had moderate expectations of Tan-Tar-A yet me and my spouse left disappointed after our stay over our 3rd wedding anniversary. We asked for the "best room" they could give us through their "run of the house" deal. When we first walked into the room we thought it was fine. We had a private deck, a narrow view of the lake and a fairly comfortable king size bed. The bathroom on the other hand was in severe need of renovating. The toilet seat itself was one of those cheap-o, thin plastic ones that scoots around when you try to wipe. The tub was builder grade and well worn. I expect higher quality fixtures in a commercial hotel. In the living space, I about fell over as I tried to sit in what appeared to be a recliner. The front leg was broken off. The tv was about twenty-five years old and the picture was dark and grainy. Then there are the thin walls. A family next door had a three year old who banged on the adjoining wall through part of the night. Upstairs we could hear a screaming baby. The mini golf course on the resort premises costs $7.50 a person to play and looked pretty bland. The onsite Sbarro's pizza was mediocre but priced fairly. At the end of our stay we found a tick crawling on our bed sheets. I don't blame Tan-Tar-A for this but for those who get the hebbie-jeebies from insects may want to stay in a less wooded resort. The worst part was the bill. Most hotel receipts are confusing on purpose and this was no different. They charged us $15 for a movie that we did not order. I contested the charge and was refunded but nonetheless we left with a bad taste in our mouthes. To be nit-picky, Tan-Tar-A suffers from a confused identity. The buildings appear to be of Japanese architecture and I get the feeling that this was the original motif. However over the years they have "hillbillied" it up with tacky lodge decor consisting of stuffed bears and lots of boating memorabilia. The lodge decor of course caters to a certain crowd that flocks to Lake of the Osarks but I believe the charm would of been in keeping with the Japanese motif. Overall I could see a family with low expectations enjoying what Tan-Tar-A has to offer but I don't recommend this resort for singles or married couples looking to get away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Osage Beach hotels

Freeburg, IL
Reviewed July 27, 2010

The setting is beautiful on the lake and the wedding was very nice. The wedding was on the sandy beach and the reception was on the pool deck. Very hilly property, be prepared to walk up and down hills to get around. There are golf carts available to rent. There are a lot of activities for the kids, sunny or rainy weather. We did not like the $17.00 fee for the indoor water park, especially since they were only open for 1 more hour before they closed. They tried to charge us $5/person for a spectator fee, but they waived that. There was a $10.55/day resort fee, not sure what that covered.

Our room smelled horrible, very musty. We had to turn the a/c on high to control the humidity in the room, if we turned it down, the papers were damp. We had to freeze to control the humidity. The food was good, but pricey. Housekeeping was very nice. The food court area was so hot, you had to take out food to eat. The 2nd pool did not have pool towels.

1 Thank MrsHuston1996
Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We just had a three night, family reunion at Tan-Tar-A after the 4th of July. We stayed in the (4) 2 bedroom condos on the lake. I wish I had checked out Trip Advisor before booking. For almost $400.00 a night...we were disappointed. We showed up on check in day at 1:00 PM. We were told that our room wasn't ready but they would call us as soon as it was ready. We got everyone settled in their rooms after 6:00 PM! We were told it was a busy time and we would just have to wait. We didn't appreciate the boarded up window upon entering the condos, complete with cigar butts left outside the condo! The condo was clean (it took enough time) but severely in need of an update. As my 13 year old said, "We're stuck in the 70's here!". We planned on cooking our evening meals in the condo and the kitchen had very little to use for meal prep and serving. I was told that there wasn't an oven and only 2 burners, but when we arrived we had an oven and 4 burner stove. It was too late by then to adjust our meal plans. We all enjoyed the pool but were disappointed that the beach was not a beach, but merely a lot of sand by the lake with chaise lounges on the top. Make sure you bring a fly swatter....our condo was loaded with flies! They advertised WiFi but was only available in the condo for ATT and T plans.

1 Thank mamagirl31
St Louis
Reviewed July 6, 2010

After reading some other reviews of Tan Tar A I was somewhat reluctant to book however I couldn't pass up the 4th of July special and took a chance. I'm glad we did. The staff throughout the resort were very polite and accomodating especially in light of the fact this this was probably their busiest weekend of the year. Our room in the main resort area while not updated with a flat panel TV and fancy furnishings was clean, comfortable, well maintained and centrally located to most of the resort amenities.

This is an older property spread out on wooded rolling hills so be prepare to walk - sometimes up hill both ways :o) The pools were lively and great fun for our family - we especially enjoyed the lakeview from the Arrowhead deck and the firework display was great. I saw staff regularly checking water quality, safety and cleanliness of the pool, pool deck, restrooms etc.

We would certainly consider a return visit.

1 Thank kholland3
#5 of 15 in Osage Beach
Lodge of  Four Seasons
Lodge of Four Seasons
#2 of 13 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!