“Not as bas as the reviews made out”

Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Osage Beach
Reviewed March 31, 2007

My husband had a conference at tan-tar-a and I decided to tag along. I was a bit scared after reading some peoples reviews and took a bottle of febreze and a candle with me in case of bad smells. I am happy to say I didn't need to use either. We had a normal room and when I walked in I was surprised, it was big and airy with a sliding door out on to a small patio. The view of the lake and gardens was very pretty. The main air conditioning unit outside was a little noisy but the one in the room was fine. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were very clean. They cleaned each day and provided new coffee for the coffee maker. I wouldn't choose this place if you were looking for a luxury resort and you should guess that by the price. But if you are looking for a comfortable place with pretty surroundings and plenty to do, including its own shopping and food hall then I would choose tan-tar-a.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank fussytravelerIL
There are newer reviews for Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark

Reviewed November 6, 2006

My husband and I wanted to get away from Nixa and we had heard a lot about Tan-tar-a. I wish we had gone somewhere else. The place needs to be renovated in the worst kind of way. Even the golf course which we played was horrible. I complained to the Front Desk about our room, which had a very musty smell, and wreaked havoc on my allergies and they did not seem to care. I will do much more research on trip advisor next time I choose a hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006
8  Thank jhamm
Reviewed September 6, 2006

Never stay in the 'estates' section of this hotel. We looked at 4 rooms and they were all absolutely horrible. Moldy, run down, paper thin walls, 30 years out of date. Never again. -Aaron

Stayed: August 2006
11  Thank aaroncm
Reviewed September 4, 2006

I recently stayed at Tan-Tar-a. This was my second stay at the Lake over the summer and I stayed at another resort on my previous stay. I am not usually one to complain, but I feel like this was the worst hotel stay that I have ever had. The staff was not quite rude, but they were not responsive to my problems. There were bugs that were in my room and it looked like it had not been renovated in quite some time. It is dirty and not living up to its reputation. One thing that you should expect from a hotel is a least a good bed and even this was not met. The mattress was very lumpy. I will not return. When this hotel was a Marriott it was much nicer.

Stayed: August 2006
16  Thank sam66
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Worth reading!
My husband and I made reservations at Tan-Tar-A to celebrate our 35th anniversary. When checking in the desk clerk commented that we were celebrating our 35th anniversary and congratulated us. We were assigned to "F" complex. It is appropriately graded--so disappointing.

When we entered the hallway, it smelled musty. After walking to our room down a dimly lit hallway, we opened the room door to a screeching sound of the hinges. The room furniture appeared dated, worn, and the closet door would not close. I always check the bedding and found a dark brown stain which appeared to be chocolate or blood on the bedspread. Then, I checked the bathroom. The tub was cracked on the side, had rust colored stains on each end, extensive mildew in the corners near the wall, and a grey stain in the bottom of the tub. The bathroom door was chipped and the hinges appeared to be rusted. The rust had created a dreadful reddish rust on the floor. The corner on the floor next to the tub was dirty. Hair was on the back of the stool. Numerous areas of the ceiling tile were stained. We had paid extra for a lake view. However, we were so close to shore that we had s closeup of the marina but little of the lake.

In the room was a card that said if "anything" just "anything" was not satisfactory to call the front desk or complete the card and leave it at the front desk. I completed the card, left it at the front desk and told the personnel that our room had several problems. When we returned the door screech was gone, the closet door fixed, the bedspread changed but alas--the bathroom was disgusting. (I really did not expect changes in the bathroom. ) The room just should not have been assigned to anyone until it had been made fit for guests they should have voluntarily moved us. They were not booked. We checked the daily census with one of the employees--it was around 600 and the weekend census was to be at least twice that number.

We stayed the night in this room. I should have refused. The next morning, I called the front desk and told them that I refused to pay $130 for a room in this condition and requested a move to an appropriate room.

I talked to the front desk clerk responsible for dealing with guest relations. We went to the front desk to get the room key to view the room. My husband told the clerk that we had been told that the tower was newer and asked if we might have a room there. She snapped, “Oh no, we are full in the tower–very full–and it was not a lake-view anyhow.” Pete, a very kind employee, drove us to view the reassigned room. We looked at the room and found it clean and in good repair with “a real lake view not a marina.” Pete returned us to the front desk. We told the desk clerk, we would take the room and that it was very nice. Pete told the clerk that engineering needed to check the air conditioning because it was warm in the room.

While the clerk, was completing the room transfer on the computer, she told us that since she was having to move us, she would have to notify housekeeping that the room would have to be cleaned. “Since we were moving out, housekeeping had not planned to get the room ready for new guests.” As she looked over the charges, she informed us that for some reason we were charged $10 less per night for our room than we should have been charged. (I think in this situation, I would have chosen to keep these details to myself.) Her negativism and ignorance of appropriate guest relations were obvious. As an employee, she had to know that those room where we stayed were older rooms. She had to know the condition of the room we were assigned, yet was making the transfer even more difficult. We were having to go through the process of moving at 1:00 p.m.. It was very hot. Yet, all she did was to let us know the inconvenience our move was causing her and“the establishment.” My husband shared my feelings about the clerk and her personality. (In fairness to her, she did give us a $40.00 discount on the previous room and for having to move.)

Through this whole ordeal we were patient, kind, and respectful, even though it was a real disappointment for us to be placed in a room which was disgusting, especially when we had expected the best. The desk clerk had to know the condition of our room in "F" complex.

Pete helped us move to the reassigned room. He was very kind and considerate and stated he would make sure that the air conditioning was checked and if we needed anything, to call him. He would be on duty late into the evening.

We left the room and when we returned, we had a message on our phone to call the front desk. The message was that we needed to move again because the air conditioner had quit in our room! The engineer was outside working on the unit when we returned. He said that he thought he had it fixed but if we had problems with it, to call the front desk and ask for him.

The room was cool during the night but as we were getting ready to check out, we noticed that the room was getting warm –almost 80 degrees. I called the front desk to report the problem, so it could be worked on as soon as possible or taken off the list if it could not be fixed.

When we were checking out, with – guess whom the nasty desk clerk, I told her that the room was very nice, we enjoyed the lake view, and told her the air conditioner seemed to not be working again.

As she was repeating the charges to us from the computer, I noticed that the spa charges from the previous day were not on our ticket. (The spa, service, and personnel were wonderful. It was very clean and everyone was very nice.) The clerk said that I would more than likely find the charges on my credit card when I got home because the spa day receipts were always posted the evening of the service. Her short answers and distasteful facial expression were obvious. The regret for our situation was not mentioned. I would have liked to have told her what I thought of her attitude but we paid our bill and thanked her.

Before we left the resort, we went back to the spa to learn that the charge was to the room and had not been recorded as the desk clerk stated. So, we returned to the front desk, the unfriendly desk clerk had gone to lunch and Renee took care of the payment of the spa charges to complete our checkout. Thank goodness, Renee was a kind, sweet young lady and actually thanked us for our honesty. At least, the last person we saw at Tan-Tar-A treated us respectfully.

Celebrating our 35th anniversary at Tan-Tar-A was really a disappointment. I was telling our experience to a friend who suggested that we tell our experience to tripadvisor.com. I wish that I had known about tripadvisor prior to our stay. Over and over again people have reviewed that rooms need to be updated. After I read other reviews, I felt that I should add mine.

After my pictures of the room were developed, I called the executive offices to find the name of the person I should send the pictures to. She said that I did not need to send the pictures, she believed my story. She "didn't want us to leave Tan-Tar-A with a bad taste in our mouth." She was very nice and offered to make compensation for our problems. How do you appropriately compensate for a situation such as ours?

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
30  Thank inChrist
Reviewed July 25, 2006

We brought our own waverunners and were on the lake for the majority of our stay. I would not recommend the Tan-Tar-A if you plan to have the resort as the focus of your vacation. We used the room simply as a place to sleep and do not spend much time in the room. Although the room was very disappointing in terms of quality, cleanliness, comfort, and modernization, it did not matter much to us for this trip. Half of the staff was friendly and enthusiastic, whereas the other half seemed disgruntled and unfriendly. We will try a different hotel when visiting this area. Seems like a good place for families with kids.

Service 3/5
Location on the lake 4/5

Stayed: July 2006
9  Thank DaBoaters
Reviewed July 22, 2006

We vacationed at the Tan-Tar a Resort the week of July 9th thru July 14th. We had one of the "Suite " rooms that were located at the very bottom of the hill in the complex. The "suite" was very cramped, especially the "master" bedroom, where we had to climb in on the right side of the bed every night to get in bed, as it was approximately 5-10" from the wall! The bed was also lumpy and very uncomfortable . The only nice thing about it was the deck off of our "suite" with table and chairs we could sit on to look at the lake view. ( if you wanted to also view the cobwebs on all of the deck rails)
The service at the fast food eating places was awful, not due to any fault of the staff, but because one person is left to work behind the counter, to do the serving, clean up , restocking of ketchup etc. The dinner Buffet was ok, at Big Bear Lodge, but was not worth the $15.95 price.
The halls in all the other buildings stunk of mildew.. The whole atmosphere was of a business that was not doing well. . When we would call the hotels' information line, the clerks seemed rushed to get you off the phone.
The parking was at a premium, and if you left the complex, good luck finding another parking place near your room, which meant walking up a huge , breath taking hill to retrieve your car if you did leave the complex, yippeee!!
The hours of operation at pools varied and as with other activities and businesses within the complex would be closed or be closing up to 15 minutes before the scheduled closing time . Also, the pool with the slide was open til' 9pm but you could only buy drinks, snacks etc.at the "Jetty Bar " until 7pm!!
This has to be the worst vacation we have ever been on!!!!!! We couldn't wait to go home!!!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
#2 of 12 in Lake Ozark
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 12 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!