“Unprofessional and Unpleasant experience”

Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Osage Beach
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had a horrible experience, and won't be back.

We arrived to our resorts complex condo at approximately 9PM. We tried to park in our assigned spot for room number 7005, and a car was already parked there. There were other spots for rooms 7000,7001,7002,7003,7004, etc.. those were all taken as well. We could hear and see a large party in the complex of approximately 10-15 people. We called guest services, and guest services told us they would send security out. We waited 30 minutes, with a 5 year old daughter that needed sleep. Security finally arrived, and basically told us we should just switch our room. As we were waiting for security, I saw several party complex vistors come and go.

1) You coin this resort as a family resort, but seem to cater of parties that violate rules and assigned parking.

2) The situation was handled poorly. A professional security department would have immediately went up to the room, told them not to have a party in a hotel room and be respectful of other guests, I believe the state has an occupancy limit on hotel rooms, just my guess.. and had the offending parkers move.

3) As I went up to the front desk to check out. I told the front desk agent how unpleased. He went on about although they are a family resort, they have a responsibility to keep the occupant that is in the room happy as well. He stated that 'People come here to have a good time.' I'm sorry, but my five year old daughter is not going to be subjected to a party.

4) I reserved my room through hotwire, at a decent rate. I paid an upgrade fee to get into a better room, well I thought it was a better room. I was only refunded my upgrade fee for the second night, and they told me that I had to deal with hotwire to get a refund. Great, I'm sure that will be a pleasure to deal with. This place put a big negative on my family vacation and can't even make things right.

We checked out and went to a competing hotel. I am very displeased.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank gwellman99
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear gwellman99,
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. Every comment that we receive is valuable in helping us evaluate and improve our quality of service. We are sorry your neighbors had a negative impact on your stay, and that you felt like we handled the situation unprofessionally.
I understand the parking situation must have been frustrating since you saw a spot with your room number on it and someone else was parked there. However, parking is first- come-first-serve. The homeowner may have their parking spots numbered, but that is for their personal use. Our guests do not have assigned parking.
I spoke to security and their reports show that our officer did arrive in a reasonable amount of time, and that the neighbor’s gathering was not out-of-hand. We try our best to make things right when situations such as these occur and we apologize that the offer we extended to you did not meet your expectations.
Our Reservations Manager spoke with Hotwire, and you will receive a full refund. If you would like to discuss your concerns in further detail, please call our Executive Office at 573-348-3131. We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Tan-Tar-A Resort in the future.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I stayed at the resort for the MAWD conference this week. Unfortunately there was another conference (State Farm) at the same time so the check-in line was really long. Jasen Jones jumped in and began to dwindle down the line by seperating the check-in's from the check-out's. This made the wait shorter.

Also during my stay, Jasen was extremely helpful, professional and knowledgeable. He had great advice on where to go around town and what to do at the resort. Not to mention, he remembered me by name!

Room Tip: Choose the main building (building A) or building "E" because they are updated. Also, requ...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Professional545,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear that Jasen took great care of your needs. We look forward to the opportunity to have you stay with us again!

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have stayed at Tan-Tar-A many times for personal and work purposes; the resort is beautiful! Just recently, I asked about accomodations for an individual in a wheel chair who has difficulty navigating anything but level, smooth surfaces. The manager, Jasen Jones, was especially interested in making sure the resort was accessible to my friend. All I had to do was ask!

Jasen - you and your staff are great to work with; MUCH APPRECIATED.

When I stay at Tan-Tar-A, I love the cabins by the outdoor pool. They are roomy, a little more private than the hotel rooms, and the cabin patios are very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin by the pool - you won't be sorry!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Lisa H,

Thank you for your fantastic review! Indeed, the suites near Arrowhead Pool are an excellent choice and the views are stunning!
I am also excited to hear of the excellent service you received from Jasen and the other associates at the front desk. Please be assured that Jasen will get the proper recognition for his professional guest service. Thank you for your loyalty to Tan-Tar-A. We look forward to your return in the near future!

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I will start out by saying that I was disappointed in my overall experience at Tan-Tar-A. Being from Columbia, Tan-Tar-A is a place that everyone hears about and everyone aspires to stay at. I stayed here for 1-night during a business convention that my company does annually. My room was in the main building on the top floor, so I had an incredible view! The room itself was very spacious, with a full-sized closet, two vanities, and my room (which had two doubles even though the woman at check-in double checked that I wanted a king) was huge! Two double beds, a small bar sized table and chairs, and a small sofa/chair/coffee table in the sitting area. The patio was a comfortable size for two people...but a little too close to the wildlife for my taste. There was a GIANT spider that built multiple webs during my stay, and another group said they had a scorpion on their patio! Not the fault of Tan-Tar-A, considering the area, but still not what I enjoy while I'm staying at a resort. Also, the room didn't feel very clean to me. It appeared clean, although I did find a hair on the soap dish, but my bed sheets had dirt marks on them that looked fresh. There were dust on the lamps, but nothing you don't see at most other places. I didn't sleep extremely well here, either. The beds were very firm, which I know some people prefer but I am not one of them!

Since I stayed in the main building and our convention was also in the main building, this is the only part of the property I had the pleasure of seeing. I will say that the whole place is very oddly laid out...there is actually two 7th floors, which was a bit confusing. Also, the elevator here is EXTREMELY slow...I took the stairs instead. It does appear they are renovating the place currently, so maybe this will improve? The entire building was approximately 85 degrees the entire time I was there...it was almost unbearable. In some of our meeting rooms I was literally fanning myself with the brochures that were being distributed because I was sweating so badly! It was hot in the hallways, stairways, even the lobby. The AC in the room kept up just fine, though.

I would probably not stay here again...there are plenty of vacation rentals and other resorts at the lake, and without a corporate discount I don't think this property would be worth the expense.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Lauren B,

Thank you for choosing Tan-Tar-A Resort and for taking the time to share your experience. I regret that your stay did not meet your expectations.

Our aim here at Tan-Tar-A is to ensure each guest has a comfortable stay. We apologize for the experience you had.

I would like to note that your room had two king size beds.

If you would consider returning to our resort, I would be happy to personally look after your party. Please contact me directly by calling 1-800-826-8272.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend baseball tournament at the Lake of the Ozarks. The team chose this property because of all of the activities available on the property. Note that the indoor pool/water park is only accessible with additional fees (even if you are just accompanying your child and do not get in the water), the miniature golf and bowling is an additional fee as well. The arcade is very dated with very old games. The golf course is nice as I have played it in the past. The indoor pool is small, but the ping pong table was very popular among our group. The on site Burger King and Sbarro are very handy, but pricier than most. The grounds of the property are very well maintained and look very nice. The main lobby is undergoing some renovation so construction was present. The "market" area stores are dated and could use some immediate attention. The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive. The rooms are pretty standard but were clean and comfortable. The only knock on our room (1509) was it is very bright, there are no curtains to pull to keep the sun out of the room. Housekeeping should maintain the hallways as well as they do the rooms, there were room service/bar glasses in the main hallway of building E for the entire duration of our stay (fifth floor near the ice machine/vending room). Not sure we would stay here again given the cost and the additional costs to use some of the amenities on the property, but we did have a pleasant stay. There are plenty of places to eat and shop very near the property.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear royalmay,

All in all, we’re delighted that your experience with us was a positive one. Thanks for choosing Tan-Tar-A to host your baseball team. I have forwarded your concerns to our Housekeeping Department. We hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again if your travels bring you back to the Lake Area.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have visited this resort several times as a child, and I had wanted to bring my own children back for many years, but I was hesitant because of all the reviews stating the place was seriously outdated. I normally prefer luxury hotels, but when I am at the lake (we also have our own home on the lake of the Ozarks) I don't mind a little more rustic or retro accomodations (its like a little trip back in time). We finally ended up coming to TanTara for a convention my husband was attending, and the kids and I had so much fun, we came back again last summer so that my husband could enjoy the resort with us.

We have stayed in both the estates complex and the main building, and I although did prefer the room in the estates complex because it was more spacious and updated, I had no problem with the main complex room, perhaps because it reminded me of my childhood stays. The main reason I come here is to have as many activities as possible without having to drive all over town just to do them. I certainly don't mind paying a little more for the convienence.

The pool(s) are fabulous, and if you are looking to save money, they can entertian kids (at least my kids) all day, especially the Arrowhead pool with its awesome slide. I love that I can get poolside drinks and snacks (you can even have a pizza delivered). There are ample lounge chairs and deck space, so you don't have to fight for a place to lay out and read, and the views of the lake from the Arrowhead pool are fabulous.

Yes, the indoor waterpark is pricey, but if you go early, you can spend plenty of time there. The slides are really fun and it was never crowded. The only downside is that the lazy river is a little shallow, but it is still enjoyable as long as you don't let your feet drag! There is plenty to do there to make it worth the price.

We also enjoyed the Tropic Island cruise (try the Grasshooper-a delicious frozen minty cocktail), horseback riding, mini golf, and renting a golf cart to explore the beautiful property.

The food at the BlackBear lodge is a little pricey, but it is good, and, again, the convienence of not having to drive to town is worth it. The pizza is also a quick option, and we LOVE the ice cream and souvineir shops in the main building!

We are going back this week, and I can't wait to see the newly renovated lobby, although I am of the opinion that the older style of property's buildings and interiors only add to it's charm.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear B S,

Thank you for your five star review of our resort! Glad to hear that you have such fond childhood memories of Tan-Tar-A and are still making new ones!
We look forward to your return and can’t wait to hear what you think of our new look.

At your service,

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

It was a very pleasant surprise to see a very tired Lake of the Ozarks classic coming back to life with a much-needed renovation. The lobby welcomes you with a modern, yet lodge feel. A new grand ( and massive) stone fireplace is central to the new lobby. I can imagine how warm and welcoming it will feel when there is a chill in the air. Many of the guest rooms have been completely renovated with not one, but two king beds and leather pull out sofa. The lobby bar has been opened up to the hotel lobby with trendy deco that you'd find in many contemporary city bars. The lobby bar spills out to a shady patio complete with fire pit. Their sad garage level exhibit hall has also been transformed with a dropped ceiling and new carpeting. Great improvement!! We had dinner in TTA's upscale Windrose Restaurant, which was excellent. By far TTA's greatest asset is their service. The staff are all very friendly and accommodating. There is still more to do to bring this classic venue back, but they are well on their way. It's time to give her another chance to impress you.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Linda O
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear Linda O,

We absolutely enjoyed reading the details of your review! We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our renovations and associates. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to the opportunity to have you stay with us again!

Warm regards,

#2 of 12 in Lake Ozark
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 12 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!