“Yearly Family Ritual”

Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Osage Beach
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Every Summer I take the family to Tan-Tar-A. My kids love this place and we have many good memories here. We plan to have even more special memories in the years ahead. The thing I noticed most on this trip was that the staff were even more friendly than usual. Also, our room seemed to be re-painted/remodeled and we had a newer flat-screened TV. My only complaint (which goes back 12 years) is that I wished they would get rid of the Burger King and replace it with a Subway or another restaurant. Since we went during Labor Day weekend this year, they were selling BBQ down by the big pool. The burgers were awesome.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear D B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Our staff works diligently to provide the highest level of service and hearing from our guests that we’re making it happen is simply incredible. And, thank you so much for your loyalty! Repeat guests like you are extremely important to us – both for spreading the word about Tan-Tar-A Resort and for sharing feedback on how we can continue to improve our product and service. We wouldn't be where we are today without your continued support. As a returning guest, I’m delighted you were able to see some of the great improvements we are making around the property. It would be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome your family back to our resort.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very large resort with lots to do--even off season. The staff were attentive and courteous. The restaurants were okay. The room and public areas were adequate--comfortable but certainly nothing out of the ordinary and somewhat dated. The conference room was nice and the AV technician was extremely helpful. I would give this resort a higher mark if the facility itself were more up to date. The area is gorgeous; beautiful water and forests.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2013

For the last several years we've made an annual trek to Tan-Tar-A as we love the Lake of the Ozarks. We usually spend 3-5 days there with one full day enjoying the Lake by renting a boat, which is a very worthwhile experience. The resort has two outdoor swimming pools one with a slide, an indoor pool, plus a small indoor waterpark with a large water slide which my granddaughter loves. While the décor is dated, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The resort is not on par with what it once was as 20+ years ago as a Marriott resort, but my family and I still enjoy our experience here each year.

Room Tip: Request a room with a lake view and be sure to ask for one with a patio or deck, so you can fully en...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This used to be the premier resort at Lake of the Ozarks. The main hotel rooms are more like cheap motel rooms, except not cheap. The carpet is terrible, the tubs are stained, the TV's are about 15 years old. Thank goodness we had a good view with a balcony that we could leave the door open at night. We turned on the air (wall unit) when we left and when we returned 3 hours later, the room smelled TERRIBLE. I doubt the air filter had been changed in at least 3 years. I would NOT recommend this hotel. Sad, because it used to be THE place to stay when visiting here.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Kateycox1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I apologize we were not up to your expectations. We are going to begin floor-to-ceiling room renovations in the hotel’s main building very soon and the issues you mentioned will be addressed. It's our hope that we'll have another opportunity to serve you. We'd love to hear what you think about our changes.

At your service,

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Our first trip to Lake of the Ozarks area and found the area scenic and beautiful. The resort itself is large, hilly with narrow roads and limited walking paths. We requested a lake view room and while our room had a beautiful lake view, it had no balconey or outdoor seating area. We requested a move to a room with a balconey and were quickly accomodated with no rate change by friendly hotel staff -- would highly recommend requesting a room with a patio. The outdoor pool is large, although not deep with extenstive outdoor seating. We were there early September and experienced no issues with crowding, the resort seemed quiet although it filled up by the weekend. The room was large, the decor may have been dated but it was in such good shape and clean it was hard to tell if it was dated or redecorated with a retro design. Overall a good experience EXCEPT and this was a major disappointment; our room had a marina view, which we would have enjoyed but there was so much garbage floating in the marina it was disappointing. Our first day there, we thought for sure someone would clean up the marina at night. 3 nights/4 days the same garbage floating in the corner of the marina in front of the resort. Dozens of bottles and cans and large pieces of foam floating near the resort without any attempt to clean. One hotel staff with a net could have cleared within 10 minutes, it was upsetting to see so much filth in the water. Several times I saw staff walk by or drive by without a second glance. Seemed a complete lack of pride in your workspace or attempt to help preserve the area. There are also several nice outdoor decks to use near the dining areas that could really have used housekeeping with a broom to clear the spider webs, it was obvious from the sheer number of webs that is not a usual housekeeping task, yet the outdoor areas would be much more pleasant without the abundance of spider webs obstructing views. However, the main pool was very well maintained, swept including the fencing to ensure no web obstructed views. I hope the management will consider some maintenance changes to help preserve the area and make the resort more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Request a room with outdoor patio/seating
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Midwest25,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are very happy that you have enjoyed our room with the lake view. However, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the garbage in the Lake and abundance of spider webs. It must have frustrating not be able to fully enjoy your view. I have already forwarded your concerns to our Executive Office. The issues have been taken care of and we will continue monitor these areas. I’m eager to restore your confidence in our company and regain your goodwill. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Spent a few days a Tan Tara A during a very hot week. Loved the swimming pool and the water slide. Since kids were already in school there were very few people there. The food was great in the restaurants and the rooms were very nice. Lake of the Ozarks is a great place to visit

Room Tip: Pick a room that faces the lake and ask for a top floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed one night over labor day weekend and we were not impressed with Tan Tar A. This was our first time staying here; we usually stay at a competitor across the lake. The first impression was the outdated and smelly lobby and lack of service/help. The lobby smelled like wet socks and mold and looked like it hasn't been updated for many years. Upon hearing that our room wasn't ready, I asked and was informed that there was no valet car service. The clerk at the 'guest services' counter directed me to a dark and dingy underground garage that was hard to find. Since I didn't want my luggage with medications to sit in the hot car, I asked the bellman if I could store my luggage and he tried to convince me to keep it in the car as it will be fine in the trunk in the shade. This is not the level of service I expect from a 3 star resort.

Once we got our room keys 3 hours later, we were informed we would be in building "B". Once pulling up to the building, we unloaded our 3 big suitcases and tried finding the elevator to the 3rd floor. We were not informed at the front desk that building "B" does not have elevators. So my girlfriend and I had to drag our luggage up 3 flights of stairs and navigate weird confusing hallways to get to our room. The whole check in process was such a pain that we almost thought about leaving. The one saving grace was that we had a corner lake view room which was clean, although very in need of updating. The view was very nice, although we could not appreciate it on our balconies because of the many spider webs and bugs everywhere.

We decided that night to check out the Bears Den Arcade. Not realizing that it closed at 10 pm, we still had many credits to play left on our cards but the rude clerk was yelling at us to stop playing games. At one point he was counting down from 10 like we were 3 year old kids, and he even turned the lights out with the circuit breaker to send the message of closing. I was so disgusted with this rudeness that we just went upstairs and went to sleep.

Tan-Tar-A used to have a great reputation at the Lake of the Ozarks and it saddens me to see a property with great potential fall so low. They are considered a 3 star property, but I have received better service at 2 star properties. I suggest staying at the Lodge of Four Seasons for the same price and Ritz Carlton like service and quality.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jordan P
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Jordan P,

First and foremost, we offer our sincerest apologies about your stay. Our staff is usually praised for delivering a high level of service and your stay was clearly out of character for us. Please contact our Executive Office at 573-348-3131 so that we can respond personally to your concerns. We hope that we will one day have the opportunity to provide you the stay that you deserve.

At your service,

Sleep Inn & Suites Lake of the Ozarks
Lodge of  Four Seasons
Lodge of Four Seasons
#2 of 12 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!