“Tan-Tar-A Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Osage Beach
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Tan-Tar-A Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just stayed at Tan-Tar-A this weekend with the primary objective being to take our 3 year old to the indoor water park. I grew up going to Tan-Tar-A as a child and have many good memories of that. There is so much to do that really makes this a "resort." Unfortunately, our overall experience was sub-par. I booked a room with a lake view and paid more to have breakfast included. When I checked in, I inquired about any available upgrades to a Suite and was quickly told that the "breakfast package" that I had was not available for upgrades. Way to up-sell.....I was willing to pay more but got shot down immediately. I know good and well there were plenty of available rooms because the parking lots were only at about 30% capacity, if that. I had the expectation that our room might be a little "dated" but we were given a room in the "A" building which must be one of the first buildings on the complex......the room was grossly outdated, the furniture was pretty distressed looking along with the old and small tube television, the bathroom had a small toilet that ran all the time unless you jiggled the handle just right. We went to the arcade one night and found that several of the games were not operating correctly....I had to call the attendant on multiple occassions. The one highlight of the resort is the water park......it is fairly new and great for young kids. We had a blast at that. The one thing to note with the water park is that it is open to the public, so you don't have to stay at the resort to use the water park. The cost is the same I believe. Overall, we would probably rent a condo or stay at the Lodge of the Four Seasons next time we come. It is unfortunate to see a place like Tan-Tar-A with so many good memories not being kept up the way it should. Hopefully the owners take note before it is too late. Regarding my rating....My room was definately a 1-2 rating, but the waterpark is a 4, so I averaged it at a 3.

Room Tip: The thing to know about Tan-Tar-A is that it is a really old resort and a lot of the "lake view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SillySalley44881
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of our resort. I truly appreciate all of your feedback. I would like to apologize for the issues you faced during your check in and while in the arcade. I have shared your comments with our staff so we may work on this in the future. Last year Driftwood Hospitality Management LLC was appointed as the new management team for the resort with plans for the resort that includes projects to enhance and improve the guestrooms and other areas of the resort. New flat screen televisions will be installed next week, and many other renovation projects are currently underway as well. I’m glad you enjoyed our Timber Falls Waterpark. We hope that next time you are in the area, you’ll visit us again. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
New Ulm, MN
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Was here for a conference. Beautiful area and view. Huge resort with several buildings. Activities available include horseback riding, an indoor water park, golf and a marina. Older facility that has had some updating. Our room was clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful. Are shops and some fast food choices on site, but it is probably cheaper to head into town less than 2 miles away. Pretty expensive -- the impressive water park was $17 (although there is a free indoor poor and "spa" - which was a disappointment - available and a seasonal outdoor pool). Internet available but you pay extra. Probably would not choose this as a place to stay if we were traveling through, but accommodated the conference well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My mom and myself took my kids and my niece and nephew here for a little spring break get away. We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom "suites" on the lake. I would agree with other reviews in that the rooms are outdated, but they were comfortable, and I kind of expect out dated at the lake it's all part of the experience. Beautiful views and super cozy beds. The only complaints I have are (1) it was crazy expensive to get into the water park for ourselves and the kids, especially after paying for the room. Why is not included, or extremely discounted for those of us staying at the resort? and (2) We were on the second floor and there are windows running along the floor - they open, COMPLETLY!! and there is no screen or other means of safety. Scary stuff. One of the kid-o's in our family is just learning to crawl and she loved playing by the window b/c of the view, I didn't mind it either until I realized she could fall OUT THE WINDOW. Seems like a law suit waiting to happen.
We did have a good time, and might go back but most likely will try somewhere new next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention so we can review and address with our team. Reviews such as yours will help us improve for all guests. We are glad you had a good time and hope to serve you again in the future.
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently for a conference. Stayed in one of the out buildings. My room was musty, had no windows, and was generally outdated. I stayed here because of the conference. Would not stay here again if I couldn't get in the main building. This place has an air of decay, and is not high on my list. The "bear" restaurant was cool though and has an excellent breakfast buffet. One word to management: UPDATE!!!. Give Tan-Tar a C-.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We’re looking into your concerns. Last year Driftwood Hospitality Management LLC was appointed as the new management team for the resort with plans for the resort that include projects to enhance and improve the guestrooms and other areas of the resort. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our breakfast buffet at The Black Bear Lodge. It's our hope that we'll have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Best regards,
Dianne
Kansas
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Took the kids here for a little water park action. They had a great time. Hotel is what it is being its a little on the older side but we were not there because of the rooms. Many things in town were closed in mid February so keep that in mind. We went over presidents day weekend since the kids were out of school for a long 3 day weekend!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review of our property. I am happy to hear that your family had fun at Timber Falls Indoor Waterpark. I certainly hope you can visit the Lake area in the upcoming months to visit the venues that were closed for the wintertime. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back, and hope you can take part in the many other amenities we offer. At Tan-tar-A Resort, there is something for everyone to do. Kids stayed occupied and adults enjoy “me time.”
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Upon arriving to the resort, it was just how I remember it in the 70's as a kid. The landscaping is beautiful and so is the lake itself. The rooms are very outdated and in need of updating. The parking was quite limited especially if you were staying on one side of the resort. It felt like you had to go a long distance to get anywhere on the property (especially if you were carting your luggage in parking that was available/far from your room.) The restaurant food was excellent along with the customer service. The resort personnel were very personable and always helpful!!! I was there for business, but would think about staying at another resort.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is close to parking!!! Otherwise, you will be carting your luggage a long distan...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a two bedroom/two bath suite. The kitchen was fully equipped. We ate all meals in. The suite was dated but very clean. The resort was fine. We used the fitness room and went bowling. The waterpark was definitely not worth the price. I was glad we took a look before talking about going with our grandson. Nothing about the large room was impressive or worth more than an hour of the vacation. We had a great time in the indoor pool. The price was certainly right - included!
You can walk every where. There is no need to rent a "touring cart" unless you have a disability. We had a very relaxing weekend and hope to return during warmer weather.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 12 in Lake Ozark
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 12 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!