“Outdated, but offers a nice variety of amenities!”

Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Osage Beach
Kansas City, Missouri
“Outdated, but offers a nice variety of amenities!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We enjoyed our stay! I agree with the previous reviewers who suggested the place needs a little updating. However, we did find our room (on the resort, not in the Estates) to be clean and comfortable.

The location is in relatively close proximity to shopping, dining and lake activities.

The resort offers golf, mini-golf, indoor and outdoor pools, lakeside loung chairs, restaurants (fast-food and sit-down), fitness center, marina, waterslide, horseback riding, spa, etc...

There was a resort fee of approximately $10.00 a night per room. I expected the fee, but I find such fees a nuisance.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Osceola, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was an ok stay, however not a place I would recommend. I was here for business, the bed was comfortable and the room was very large and roomy but badly in need of renovation and updating? Staff was average, it is a long walk to get to coffee from the rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have always liked this particular hotel but it is very old. I usually stay in one of the rooms overlooking the lake but decided to try to get away from the crowds and was put into a room down by the pool. Was much quieter and more relaxing. Overall, the rooms at Tan-Tar-A are always just ok. Mine was clean but very old. The pool is fantastic and the grounds are very well kept and beautiful. The proximity to town isn't too bad either. The food there is lacking and is very expensive. They do, however, have very good coffee. Overall, if you want to just relax at the pool and enjoy the scenary this is a great place to do so. If you want a 5 star hotel room with marble accents, this isn't it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cape Coral, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were on a budget, so I was excited to have won a bid thru Priceline, but was sadly disappointed as soon as we checked in.

1. The room was hard to find, even with a map, as it winds (didn't help that we drove-in while it was raining and got assigned to an external building with external entrance).

2. Once we found the building and our room number, we realized we had to carry our heavy bags up several flights of stairs (did I mention it was raining outside?) and although we were in fine physical shape, I'm not sure if anyone had any physical impairments, they could do that hike as we were not offered any service person to assist (no one even told us about the stairs). And then had to wait in the rain for someone to get us in as our keys would not work.

3. Our room was dirty and small, VERY dated. All the negative reviews regarding the rooms were correct...

4. We're from Chicago and this was our first time at Osage Beach. We called the front desk to check on possible dinner options and the man was rude. He would not expound on any restaurants and said this is a lake town, as if that helps us? Do your research before you get there, as that helped us navigate and figure out where we wanted to go.

All that being said, this is a huge resort. There is a water park. They also seemed to have great golf and marina activities. Unfortunately for us, it was raining and did none of those things so I can't comment on them.

Overall, the service was mediocre to say the least and it made me happy to leave and move on to another resort for the next couple nights. As mentioned, I got stuck with this resort thru priceline bid, so we received a slight discount, but we needed to pay the additional "resort fee" and felt we overpaid in total cost. Next time, I would avoid that bidding hassle all together and book directly elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Our semi-annual conference at the Lake rotates between the Lodge of the Four Seasons and Tan-Tar-A. I have always been a little nostalgic towards Tan-Tar-A, so I've always given it the benefit of the doubt. This time, however, I finally feel the need to write a review based on our trip. I plan to let our conference organizers know as well... Tan-Tar-A just doesn't cut it anymore.

First, I have to comment on the stench of the "resort" in general. It seemed like every stairwell (and they are interior) and parking garage had its own unappealing scent. It was just ick everywhere you went.

Second, our room may have been superficially clean (sink, toilet, tub seemed clean, bedding was clean, furniture looked all right), but the room was NOT clean. There were forehead marks from a previous guest leaning against the sliding glass door. A smashed spider was on the wall, as was some scotch tape (which made me wonder how long it had been since the walls got any attention). There were some sort of marks (maybe from dirty fingers) near the doorknob on the bathroom door. I was so happy I remembered my hair dryer, because the handle of the one in the room was unacceptably dingy/dirty.

Furthermore, I have yet to stay at a hotel that does not at a minimum have shampoo, conditioner, and lotion in the room. Ours came with shampoo. I asked the housekeeper if maybe they had conditioner on hand and just didn't put it in every room, but she told me that they no longer put out conditioner OR lotion. Nor, do they have any in case you accidentally forgot it. (Bad trip to forget my shampoo and conditioner on, huh? At least I remembered lotion)

Also, there are no hooks or anything of that sort to hang up used towels if you are of a mind to conserve washing and water. There is the rack behind the toilet, but that's not the best place to hang a fairly clean towel to dry (first, I don't trust that rack gets cleaned based on my other observations, and second, if it hangs down too low it's touching the toilet). How hard is it to put a hook on one side or the other of the bathroom door?

I won't go into how much the whole place needs an update...

That's my rant. I would like to compliment the bartender in the lobby bar for being super friendly and nice, which I would say all of the staff was friendly. No issue there at least.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank erinbKansasCity

Travelers are raving about these Osage Beach hotels

Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Im sure this was a very cool place back in the Carter administration, but it's long overdue for a good bulldozing. First time I recall having a hotel room come with a placard to describe all the critters that may be crawling around you as you sleep, together with instructions on appropriate medical care for each sting, bite, etc. I'm not exaggerating. Most places you might find a room service menu and Gideon's Bible in your nightstand. Here you get an entomology lesson. Enough said. Won't even go into the utter filthiness. Consider yourself warned.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank MissouriBen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

The hotel had so many bugs in the room. I know the room was not properly cleaned because there was opened candy on the nightstand and several items under the bed, I.e brush and trash. I see why the bugs where in the rooms. The only appliance was a coffee maker that had seen better days. A microwave would of been nice. We decided to grill but there were no lights on the outside. We used our cell phone cameras fir a light source. When I called the front desk to complain the rep. said that was one of the A rooms. I really don't want to see B and C rooms. It would be nice if the cost of the water park was included in the price of the room. Overall I was very unhappy with the hotel. Never again will I stay there or use their water park. Weekend wasted!!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Javante
Tantara_Resort2012, Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Javante -

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. Please accept our apologies for cleanliness of your guest room. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with the appropriate departments.

We do not include TimberFalls Indoor Waterpark in our rooms rates for several reasons. Not everyone that stays at Tan-Tar-A is interested in going to our waterpark, therefore, we feel it is best not to include the price in our rates.

We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention and we hope you would consider a future stay at Tan-Tar-A Resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Osage Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,021 reviews
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 13 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!