Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Ozark Inn & Suites(Osage Beach)
View Hotel
Scottish Inns Motel(Osage Beach)
View Hotel
Lone Oak Point Resort(Sunrise Beach)
  • Pool
  • Free Internet
Lakeview Resort(Sunrise Beach)
View Hotel
Inn At Grand Glaize(Osage Beach)
Robin's Resort(Osage Beach)
View Hotel
All reviewsburger kingwater parkbowling alleyblack bear restauranttan tar a resorthorseback ridingblack beansresort complexfood courtfitness centerbuilding cnice resorttan taratimber fallsspring breaklabor day weekendview of the lake
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 13, 2012

The age of this hotel is showing. Hallways smelled musty like they'd been under water. Outside needs painted, inside needs painted and new carpet installed. Could see cracks in the stucco and rust on the patio railings. Great breakfast buffet in the Bears Lodge Restaurant and a great server....however our dinner the evening prior gave me heartburn and kept me up all night! Burger tasted good but server was less than adequate. Whole place could use some thorough cleaning, especially the bear in the restaurant. He had layers of dust and cobwebs everywhere. Not very appetizing. I was there for a convention and the food served at lunch each day was really good! If I was traveling to the area again I would find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Lakeside view was nice in the morning but not sure the patio was safe....rust around railing and stucco looked like it was crumbling. Stayed inside for my 15 mins of relaxation before starting my day.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LilMissPeggy
Tantara_Resort2012, Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Thank you for choosing Tan-Tar-A Resort and we truly apologize for not meeting your expectations. We are always striving to meet our guests needs and appreciate you for letting us know when and where we have challenges. Your comments have been noted and will be used to make improvements. We hope you give us another opportunity in the future to provide quality service and amenities.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

If you're looking for a review of the overall resort and activities, this may not be the review for you. :) I stayed here on business during the first week of March during their off-season, so I didn't get to see much more of the resort besides the building I was in.

I was fully prepared to absolutely hate this place based on some of the other reviews, but I didn't. I've never been to Missouri so I was interested to see what it was like. I'm not sure where this place rates in terms of local value, but it was easy to overlook the downsides and enjoy my stay. I'll go ahead and state the obvious: It needs updating. Badly. Even small changes, like flat screen tvs or new carpet would be a start.

That being said, here's what my stay was like:

The staff: Excellent. Very professional, responsive and friendly. I had a package delivered to the resort and it was waiting for me when I checked in. I didn't need it right away so they said it could be delivered to a conference room the next day and to call when I needed it. I did just that and they brought in less than 10 minutes. I was even connected directly to the person who would be delivering it.

Also at check-in, they provided a weekly schedule of events and activities, including the restaurant hours. Since it is the off-season, it seems like they tailored the schedule to fit the needs of the guests for that week. In this case, there were several conferences going on, including a large student group so it was nice to know that things were open.

Food: The food in the Black Bear Lodge was good and had a nice view of the lake. I didn't get a chance to visit the bar in the evening or the other eateries on site due to my work schedule.

The room: The room and bathroom were spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable and my room had a view of the water which was beautiful. The bathroom as well as the room furniture and tv were all dated. The nightstand lamps and chairs appear to be a little more modern. Baby steps I suppose.

The bug guide (mentioned in another review.) It seems laughable at first, but it actually makes sense given the location. You may encounter spiders and other critters during the summer months (not necessarily in your room - I saw NONE), so the guide may be useful.

Parking - Free and right below my building. Very convenient.

So, should you stay here? If modern decor is VERY important to you then the answer is no. It will bother you. It would bother me if I were staying for vacation.

If you have to stay here on business and really aren't paying the in-season rates, then you should be fine. The conference facilities are more than adequate and the staff is on top of every room change and other aspect of your conference.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building A. There's parking on the lower level and that's where the front desk and bar is located.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We have stayed at this resort many times and our kids have loved coming for a family get away and my husband and I have also enjoyed romantic get aways as well there. So much to do here. The staff are always so courteous and helpful. This destination is truly a resort and a vacation in its self.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Tantara_Resort2012, Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments. We hope you will visit us during your future stays at Lake of the Ozarks and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We really enjoyed our weekend at Tan-Tar-A. It was during the winter months so there weren't quite as many things to do, but it was a great getaway for a couple. We used the gym, pool, restaurants, and convention facilities. The Bear Restaurant was above average and the prices were reasonable for a vacation location. The gym was clean and had a nice view of the lake. Above all, the service was outstanding. All of the staff from the front desk to the personnel working in the stores were willing to do whatever it took to make our stay positive. Our room was nice, clean and the beds were average. We would definitely stay at Tan-Tar-A again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Having stayed at this resort multiple times, I cringe every time I hear that I must attend a conference here.

The entire resort is built to hug the hills and coastline of Lake of the Ozarks. This means that almost every place involves an uphill climb. Parking is also nearly impossible without a hundred yard hike back and forth between rooms.

Once we arrived, I found out that my room was in a separate building, so we followed the resort map and entered the building door marked with our room series. Wrong Door. We kept following the signs through most of the building, always taunting us and implying that our room was just around the corner. Once we reached the other end of the building, the signs pointed UP. Really? Even in the buildings?

Now this resort has been around for several decades, but they've obviously never heard of installing elevators in buildings that have more than four floors. As a diabetic, by the time I hauled all of my luggage up six flights of stairs to my room, I felt pretty weak and hollow.

The room was typical hotel fair, even though the going rate is almost $300 per night. But close inspection revealed an aging resort, with patched up mistakes instead of new replacements. The tub, for instance looked dirty and stained, but was merely pained over where the porcelain had chipped away.

While old, however, the room seemed clean enough, but I kept thinking of the price they asked for a one night stay... definitely not luxury level.

What was really strange, however, was that everything shut down around 8 pm. In a resort? No pizza, no bar.... nothing. Everything was closed. We jumped in our car and went looking for a bite to eat, but could find absolutely nothing except a gas station that sold old pizza.

This is a dying resort in a dead town. But if you like rock climbing, backpacking, and mountain hiking... Tan-Tar-A should give you an adequate workout. Just don't forget to pack a few energy bars.

Room Tip: Just don't go there. Pack light if you do and be prepared to hike and climb to your room. Don't expect elevators in any building except the main building.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business