“Unimpressed”

J. Bruner's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Bruner's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 100 Restaurants in Osage Beach
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lake Road 54-40 (Winn Road)
Description: You are invited to experience casual, fine dining at J. Bruner's! Savor steaks and seafood prepared using our exclusive recipes refined over the past thirty years. The warm and inviting dining rooms are the perfect setting for weekly casual dining or that special occasion. Enjoy our Red Room Lounge for a cocktail after work, cocktails before dinner, and/or a tasty ice cream drink afterwards. The best table service completes your dining experience, making J. Bruner's the Lake's Classic Steakhouse. Reservations recommended--book online.
De Soto, Missouri
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant tries hard to be a classy sophisticated place, but it doesn't succeed. Honestly, I'm not sure how it got such good reviews. My husband and I like a nice restaurant for more than just the tasty food, we also like the experience and we have no problem paying for that. So when we read the reviews and viewed the menu we thought this would be a nice place to go to celebrate our anniversary while at the lake. The food was VERY good. My husband had the Ribeye and I had the Mahi Mahi. Both were delicious! But the building was tired with worn out, industrial style carpet and bad lighting (I think they were shooting for romantic, but the cheap bathroom vanity sconces on the wall just gave off dull light.). We were also turned off by the "aquarium" (Which was actually a tv playing the Nemo DVD on the aquarium setting...) and the cheap Dollar Tree flowers in silicone water for the table decoration. The tables were so close that you couldn't have a private conversation and the plate presentation was terrible. If all you care about is the taste of the food, then by all means, tie on a blindfold and head on up J. Bruner's. But if you're looking for a fine dining experience, look elsewhere.

pboylan, Owner at J. Bruner's Restaurant, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
I’m sorry you were disappointed with the décor of my restaurant. It is a 90+ year old farmhouse converted to a restaurant decades ago and presents a classic charm that many of our guests enjoy. While the building presents new challenges daily, you dined at brand new tables and chairs, ate with new silverware, enjoyed the comfort of new HVAC, and parked in a newly expanded and resurfaced parking lot. The carpet, I know, is due. When I decided to quickly redo the interior upon buying the restaurant from the Bruner family 5 years ago, it was the only thing I could find that there were 6,300 square feet of in stock. I invite you to help me choose the next color/style/pattern. The “electronic aquariums” were my idea too…trying to keep a tailored appearance with a touch of modern flair. The bottom line is people come to J. Bruner’s for the food. You’ll not find a steak as good as ours anywhere else. I’m proud the Lake Sun Reader’s Choice Poll chose our chef as “The Lake’s Best Chef,” and our bartender as “The Lake’s Best Bartender.” I’m proud the readers named us “The Lake’s Best Steakhouse.” And for some reason, the readers named us “The Lake’s Most Romantic Restaurant.” Someone must have liked the interior! I’m not sure whether I’d like the décor in your home, but I sure wouldn’t post a negative opinion of it on a web site. I appreciate your positive comments about our food, and I invite you to become an investor in my establishment if you want me to start another remodeling project.

Fort Worth, Texas
“Suprising food! Don't miss the Prime Rib!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I had the sea bass (good but bland - I ordered it because I was craving veggies), but my husband had the prime rib and WOW! Since this is a steakhouse, I guess you need to order their specialty. And the Prime Rib was outta this world! Everything was a la carte', which isn't my favorite. The bread was terrific though! Service was excellent and our server was very accommodating! I'd recommend reservations, we didn't have them, but someone didn't show up (over 30 minutes late) so we were given their table. We're glad they didn't make it. It's within walking distance from Hawks Nest and Inn at Grand Glaze so if you're planning on staying there, it's the perfect place to dine!

• Visited September 2012
Kennett, Missouri
“Amazing!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I went there when we got engaged (June 2010). Had the most amazing appetizer---Lobster Mac & Cheese. To this day no one can make it like J. Bruner's! We will definately be coming back when we can get up that way. This meal was way better than any ring! :)

• Visited June 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Great Service and Meal”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My 13 year old son and I stopped in for a dinner while visiting Lake Osage---we had an excellent waiter--the food was great. I had the Lobster Bisque and Wedge Salad--both were incredible, and my son had the ribeye steak. We were served quickly and the quality of the food was wonderful!!! Would go back again next time we are in Lake Osage without question!!!!

• Visited August 2012
kilkenny
“Great food”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

If you are willing to pay for good food, then you get what you pay for. I do wish the prices were printed on the website menu then there would be no surprises. it is more upmarket but treat yourself to top quality fare. Stefan was excellent and served with a flourish. Wines demanded attention to price and quality.....There was good value on the wine list so read and choose carefully. Decor scored lowest but what was on the plate (temporarily!) made here worthwhile.

• Visited July 2012