“You might want to look again”
Review of Kirkwood Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kirkwood Lodge
bonz65
“You might want to look again”
Reviewed March 9, 2010

After reading mixed reviews my family and I visited the Kirkwood Lodge again last August (2009). We found it to be as quaint and quiet as we remembered yet still in the middle of the action. There is a new stoplight in planning at the main road which will make it easier getting out. We did learn that some bad storms had put the docks in dissarray and there was some damage to few units since our last visit which is most definitely corrected. It sounded like it was rough but there is now a replacement gangway and dock which will put you right out on the Lake and there's even a JetSki watercraft rental along with the Celebration Yacht. The lift up to the lodge patio was working fine while we were there (but it must have some quirks). The staff was helpful and courteous to all of our needs. The pool towels were immediately replenished as they ran low and value for the money is excellent. I did say in my original review that the rooms are rustic (no tv or internet in rooms) The lodge has YFi. There's enough going on that all we did was sleep & shower in the room. The game room was locked for security but the counter person gladly opened the doors and provided pool cues and billiard balls. The gift store was also opened (during off hours) at our request for a somewhat private shopping spree. My only thought was that other reviewers had their sights set on glitz and glamour rather than relaxing, rustic charm which I have come to enjoy from the Kirkwood Lodge.
Bottom line if you're looking caviar and Dom with chamber music maybe not your first choice but many more memories are created from the simpler things in life.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank bonz65

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
St. Louis
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I have been going to the Lake of the Ozarks for the past few summers and finally found a great place to stay. The Kirkwood Lodge is a great place to get away from it all. I have visited with friends and have had some great times. The location is easy to get to and has everything you need for the whole weekend. I have arrived on a Friday evening and had not had to leave the resort until Sunday afternoon and been able to get everything I needed for the whole weekend. The staff was very friendly and informative. They offer inexpensive rates for rooms with or without meals. They have waterfront property with swim docks, a private pool and boat and jetski rentals. I have recommended the Kirkwood Lodge to friends and would definately say it is a great place to get away and relax.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank silverstoners
st louis
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I've stayed at Kirkwood on many occasions. While there are "no frills", the rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and accomodating. We especially enjoy the view of the Lake, pool and deck. Plenty of nice shady patio areas to enjoy the outside. Close and convenient to local attractions...only a mile or so from the outlet mall, short drive to "the Strip". No TV's or phones in the rooms but this lends itself to quality family time. If you have children, they will love it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank partyongarth
st louis
Reviewed March 9, 2010

This place is good for its Price and great room. You are suppose to spend all of your time at the lake on the lake. This is the place for you. its a nice place to stay. They have great meals in the dining room and you can sit at the pool and watch the boats go by.
You want a room on the lake for a couple nights, this is the place!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I have been to the Kirkwood lodge each of the last seven years and every time, it is great. The friendly staff welcome you and set you up for a relaxing stay, there was great live music and the food was abundant and tasty. The party boat is always great and the swimming, pool or the Lake,, it a bit hit. I have always thought it is the best kept secret on the Lake

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I stayed at the Lake this summer with my family, we recieved a room that smelled horrible, it actually leaked from the roof and was filled with mold. There was no maid service while we were there. We had to ask the desk for towels each day. We had elderly people in our group and they were unable to enjoy the pool area, because the tram that takes you down was broken. The office staff was anything but nice, very rude. The place is being held together by a bandaid, there is nothing nice about this place. I would not stay here again if they offered a free room.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — the smell in the room and the service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olathe
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Although this was my 2nd stay at Kirkwood Lodge, I was thoroughly disappointed w/ how the care and uptake of the Lodge has declined since my last stay in '07. We decided to return this summer when we were offered a $75/night fee versus the normal $95/night charge for returning. In hindsight, the cheaper price was not worth the compromised condition.

The 3 rooms my party and I stayed in all smelled of mold, mildew, and were very musty. We all ended up packing them full of air fresheners to try and minimize it.

All the decor, furniture, bedding and piping appeared to be originally from the 70's.

Most of the emenities they offered on the website were not offered once you arrived. There was supposed to be a tram taking you from the rooms to the pool and swim dock that has been broken for 2 years now. The gift shop was closed our whole stay. A game room was locked the whole stay also. The 'continental breakfast' consisited of Cheerios and Raisin Bran and a bowl of peanut butter ( no joke).

The original brige connecting the pool to a floating swim dock was broken. So as a replacment they used a corner of a neighboring boat dock and made a makeshift bridge to the swim dock that consisted of plywood with a number of nails not even nailed down all the way. The railing on that bridge was just another piece of wood.

Connected by swim rope to the big dock was a smaller dive dock that had loose boards which my son actually fell through the gap of.

We stayed three nights and never had maid service come around except for one of the mornings to hand out towels. We were however, asked to leave a maid tip when we checked out.

We knew not to have our expectations high b/c of our previous stay but we were still extremely surprised by the condition of Kirkwood Lodge.

I would only advise this lodge if a person did not plan on spending much time in the room or at the resort, and that is only b/c of the price.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Moldy Rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Kmchoric
Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Lodge of  Four Seasons
Lodge of Four Seasons
#2 of 13 in Lake Ozark

Been to Kirkwood Lodge? Share your experiences!