“When did we start rationing eggplant?”
Review of Biggy's Casual Italian Dining - CLOSED

Biggy's Casual Italian Dining
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have tried several Italian restaurants at the Osage Beach location and have come to the conclusion that they just don’t do good Italian. Maybe the problem is that I live in Kansas City home to some of the oldest, authentic, Italian eateries in the mid-west? First of all the restaurant was not busy. As we were leaving the restaurant we both remarked that unlike Rizzo’s next door, where there were few open parking spaces even on a cold and rainy day, the parking lot at Biggy’s made us question if it was open. Inside everything was staged to create anticipation of an awesome Italian experience. Wait staff was friendly and prompt. The ambient temperature was a bit too cool for the rainy cold weather outside so we kept our coats on. We ordered the Chicken Parmesan and Eggplant Parmesan. While we waited for the entries rolls were brought to the table. This was the first clue that something was amiss. Even before the rolls made it to the table we noticed a strange odor. As the server rounded the booth to place the rolls on our table we realized the odor was coming from the rolls. The rolls looked fabulous. They were in fact some of the best looking rolls I have seen in a while. They were perfect in every way except for the odd smell. We both decided that we would try them anyway. If you had seen them you would understand. The first bite yielded a soft texture with a slight crisp crunch, exactly what you wanted in what appeared to be homemade yeast rolls. That was the end of any similarity to ANY other homemade, yeast roll I have ever eaten. There was no yeast flavor at all. NOT ANY!!! We tried to attribute the smell to something familiar such as Parmesan or Asiago but nothing clicked. Unfortunately the odor lingered on our hands even after washing them. Ok enough about the rolls and on to the main course. Portions were exactly what I expected which was great as we planned to have left overs to snack on later in the evening. The Chicken Parmesan stacked up there with others we had eaten. Critiquing Italian sauce is tricky and subjective at best. For the most part it either tastes like something from your childhood, previous positive restaurant experience or like something from a jar. In this case the taste fell between jarred and toddler baby food, just not quite right. Now we come to the Eggplant Parmesan. When did we start rationing eggplant? I could have read a newspaper through the slice of eggplant used. Just to make sure there was eggplant under the breading I tried unsuccessfully to scrape off the breading only to reveal the plate under it. I can say without reserve that I have never seen a thinner slice of eggplant in my life. On my next visit to Osage Beach I plan to try Rizzo’s. Sorry Biggy’s but Stouffer’s makes it better!!!

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Sat for 30 min, finally had drink order taken- 15 more minutes food order taken, after one hour no food seen- complained to manager who yelled at me and said "yeah, we are busy- what do you want me to do"- we left with no food after one hour and ten min. I will never eat there again and you shouldn't either..

1  Thank KPeters1984
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Discovered Biggy's by accident while trolling Osage Beach for food. We meet the kids Dad here to switch out and when we picked them up they were cranky and starving. We found Biggy's and we were all in the mood for a nice, sit down meal. We walked in and the beautiful and peaceful atmosphere hits you first, and then the wonderful smell of an Italian kitchen. We ordered our food and the server found activity pages for the kids to play on so they wouldn't be bored. We ordered the boys the children's spaghetti and tried a bite and it was soooo good. I had the Stromboli and couldn't believe my taste buds, they were doing a happy dance in my mouth. My husband ordered the Italian sausage penne in Vodka sauce and it was extremely good, and I don't usually like it. Then the best was my nephews manicotti. That was the best manicotti I have ever had. We had fresh rolls, excellent service, and a desire to go back when the kids aren't with us so that we can sample the wine. I can't wait!

1  Thank mylynn1377
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is the second time we've eaten at Biggy's on our trips down to Osage Beach and I would definitely go back again. I can't comment on service besides the lady being very pleasant when we picked up our takeout order.

The calamari is delicious, not overcooked - not over-breaded - flavorful.

Mussels with white garlic sauce were cooked perfectly - fresh & flavorful.

Antipasto Salad - Huge portion of this salad, my fiance and I split it, but I have to make a comment that the prosciutto was sliced WAY too thick - in my opinion - it should always be sliced super thin so you're not chewing on it for an hour. The balsamic vinaigrette was delicious though and they loaded it with FRESH mozzarella and Greek olives.

Fresh yeast rolls were yummy too.

Pricing is standard - Cheaper than Olive Garden I would say. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the mood for some casual Italian food.

1  Thank Heftisu
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in for the 2nd time since they opened and the experience was great this time ordered the eggplant & it was perfect my husband had the lasagne & it too was good. Also a nice salad. Good wait staff. I will be going back there soon

1  Thank joycefulton