“Employees Nice, Other Things Average”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in O'Fallon
Belvidere, Illinois
“Employees Nice, Other Things Average”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I was impressed with the employees here. I had a hard time finding the place and was driving with a cat who wouldn't stop meowing. When I got to the front desk, I was obviously stressed. The lady who checked me in, Diane I believe, was so sympathetic. She said several times how sorry she was. Of course it wasn't her fault, but sympathy is always appreciated. I asked her if there was a way to get something for supper where I didn't have to get on the main road again, and she directed me to a pizza/sandwich shop that was just a block away. In the morning, I talked to a couple of housekeepers, telling them that my cat was in the room so they wouldn't go in there while I was getting breakfast. They were very polite and pleasant, and when my cat and I did finally leave, they said how pretty she was. As for the breakfast, it was okay. Their "famous" cinnamon rolls were large and tasty enough, and the biscuits and gravy were fine and warm. The Wi-Fi was very spotty so I eventually gave up on it. My TV was strange - it was stuck in a mode where just the background lighting was on, which was keeping me awake. I called the front desk and said I didn't really care to watch it and they didn't have to come up to fix it, but would it be okay if I pulled the plug to get it to turn off (thought that might trigger an alarm or something). Once I did that everything was okay. The room was very clean and the mattress was comfortable. Didn't hear anything from other rooms. One word of caution - this hotel is not right on the highway (Rt. 70). It is about a 20-minute drive south of it and not easy to find. I thought I knew what I was doing but finally had to break down and plug in the GPS. I would probably stay here again anyway if I had my cat with me because they have just a nominal pet fee, as opposed to the ones on the highway.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Arleen H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and are delighted to hear that you found our staff polite and pleasant. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. They informed us when we stay next year they will have a complete renovation. The breakfast area is small for a large hotel, but the breakfast attendant kept everything replenished and cleaned.

Room Tip: I always check to see at check-in if there is a wedding party or youth sports teams staying at any h...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russ S
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I love Holiday Inn, we stay at Holiday Inn's almost every time we are in need of a hotel. I used my reward points to stay at this hotel one night so my son could be with his bowling team early the next morning. It wasn't as nice as the other HIE's I've stayed in, but it met our needs for the short 12 hours we stayed here. Staff is friendly, gave us complementary water bottle when we checked in. Pool was nice with hot tub for the kids to play. Room was a little dated, but clean. Overall, fair hotel for our needs and to use a free night.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Acemom40,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. We apologize for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
London
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We’d moved from Staybridge Suites which adjoins this HI Express because we couldn’t extend our booking at Staybridge as they were full. They are both IHG Brands and these two hotels are operated by the same company, and I believe share some of the same management team. I was interested to see the similarities and differences.

This hotel has an inside swimming pool, also a gym. The free breakfasts are good. There are no evening meals, but there is a restaurant, Eleven-65 (modern American cuisine, bit pretentious) next to the hotel and a couple, including Ruby Tuesday, a 5 minute walk (tho’ regrettably lacking a sidewalk part of the way).

Again we had a double queen bed suite. We like a separate bedroom so if one of can’t sleep they can go out the bedroom and have somewhere comfortable to read or surf the web without disturbing the other. The bed room is furthest from the corridor with a door giving shelter from noise in the corridor. But guess what? Some designer had decided that a glass bedroom door is a good idea. There’s a net curtain but that doesn’t block out light from the living room or when someone switches on the bathroom light when they enter.

The bathroom is next to the bedroom, outside the bedroom door and all is inside. Opposite is the kitchenette – fridge, microwave, sink and coffee maker, equipped with paper plates & cups and sets of plastic cutlery. (unlike Staybridge which has crockery, metal cutlery and a dishwasher.
There’s a table with one chair which means that if you want to eat in the room someone has to balance a plate on their lap. And trying to pierce holes in the plastic cover of a meal before it goes into the microwave is a challenge with a plastic fork!

The living area is dull and the lights aren't bright enough.

The most irritating thing about our stay here is the unreliable internet service. It was up and done, the first day we couldn’t do anything with it. It repeatedly failed to connect with websites. I am typing this review now into Word because the internet access has again failed while I was trying to update my airline reservation, then it came back but the airline transaction had timed out and asked me to start again, so I did and it failed again.

The internet service at neighbouring Staybridge was fast and seamless and you didn’t even think about it. This one is - for practical purposes – useless. Wireless signal couldn’t be stronger. I’m guessing from what I’m seeing that the fault is with the ISP used by this HI which is I believe different from the one used at neighbouring Staybridge.

Our sleep quality is great, best sleep we’ve had in the past three hotels over two weeks. The beds are very comfortable, the rooms are quiet, so luckily we’ve not spent sleepless hours in the living area.

But what I’ll remember about this place is the sheer frustration of trying to do business on the web.

Oh, and it cost us 50% more than Staybridge and isn't as good, which is why I've rated it as average since there isn't a 'good' option and it doesn't, on consideration, rate very good.

(later update- thanks to the lousy internet connection we missed being able to reserve window-aisle seats and are in the middle row for our transatlantic flight. Rats!)

Room Tip: stay at Staybridge next door
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonPontac
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear LondonPontac,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 5 nights and enjoyed this hotel. Breakfast was free, hot, and good. Location was convenient, lots of local and chain restaurants around. Front desk staff were very helpful and made cookies in the afternoon! Nice indoor pool and hot tub. Fitness center was a little lacking, though. All in all, nice clean place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LibbyAURN
Chicago
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Could be the area, but I felt the price was a bit on the high side. Nevertheless, the king room was clean and had the all the usual equipment, but no refrigerator. At check in, I was given a bottle of water and a snack, after a long drive, I appreciated that. I did not know there was a fine indoor pool at this property, so this helps justify the price. The free breakfast was standard and kept up, met expectations. When I left, they were sweeping the stair cases, I think they are minding the property there. Several eating establishments very near the hotel. I was there on business, one night.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Oakland, Michigan
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We booked this hotel because we were attending a family wedding nearby. Everything we needed was here--coffee maker, small refrigerator, WI-FI. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly. At first, we were not happy to see that our room was situated right across from the elevator, but that did not prove to be a problem at all and we were able to get a quiet night's sleep both nights. The only oversight we experienced was that the maid didn't leave any regular coffee packets, only decaf, so we had to gather some for the next day. They also offered complimentary snacks for the evening and had a decent complimentary breakfast. We got a kick out of the pancake maker which was a machine which rolled two pancakes at a time off of a conveyor and they tasted good too! We took videos of that to show the grandkids when we got back home. The only thing I didn't like was that the vanity area and hair dryer were situated inside the bathroom. I like when they keep those separate, but that is a personal preference of mine. Overall, our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near O'Fallon
Sleep Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#7 of 7 in O'Fallon
Comfort Inn & Suites St. Louis - Chesterfield

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon? Share your experiences!