“Nice room but Horrible hotel!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in O'Fallon
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. The first night was ok a little loud but we kepted the TV's on all night to drowned the noise out. The 2nd night lets just say sleep was hard to come by, there were a few softball teams in the hotel and the hotel had no control over it. We went to the front desk 3 times to ask the over night person to do something and still nothing weas done. We slept maybe 4 hours. The 3rd and final night was out of control...again the teams on the 1st floor were so loud and nothing was done. We finally fell asleep around 1:30am only to be woken up around 3:30am by an alarm going off in our room!!! We thought it was a watch alarm or something...so we searched our room for something but neveer found it. So I called the front desk who asked me if it sounded like it was coming from the closet...I said yes and she said she would try to fix the problem from the hallway and if she could'nt she would need to come into the room???? About 15 mins later the alarm went off.So we fell back asleep and at 8am....the alarm starts going off again. I went to the front desk and complained yet again and the staff member went in the hallway and turned it off. I asked what it was and she said it means the filter needs to be changed!! So when the filter needs to be changed the customer is notified??? My family and I who are priority club members have always preferred to stay at Holiday Inn's....not after these last 3 days. This hotel does not care about the customer itself...only about the groups they stay here at the hotel.

A plus at this hotel is that the King Suite are a good size.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Christy o, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I'm truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we do care about our customers a great deal and our goal is always to make sure that ALL of our guest are satisfied.

I agree that when we have multiple youth teams in the hotel the noise level can get high at times, especially when its 200 + athletes, coaches, and parents coming in from games later in the evening. The parents and chaperones do a great job of getting everyone to their rooms and quiet by 11pm. This group in particular did exceptionally well as we only had two noise complaints the entire weekend.

Your HVAC unit tripping a fuse twice during your stay caused you not to get a good nights sleep and for that I aplogize. We have a good preventative maintenance program and it would be wonderful if equipment never malfunctioned but unfortunatly things like this do happen. The issue with your room was something that could not be fixed until Monday so in the short term we had to reset the breaker outside your room. Again I'm very sorry for this.

Tara our night auditor passed on your comments regarding the HVAC unit and Katie Lauck our assistant manager was able to meet with you personally Sunday morning to address your complaints. She did mention that she wished that you would have spoken to someone about your displeasure with the noise prior to your departure. Its easier for us to fix something if when know about it when its happening. After speaking with you Katie felt refunding your nights stay and issuing you an additional 5000 Priority Club points along with a sincere apology was fair and that you were satisfied with the compensation offered. Katie cares about our guests more than any manager I have ever worked with and I know that she would not let you depart unless she was 100% sure that you were leaving with a positive feeling regarding the hotel.

This being said we were very surprised to see that you called IHG Guest Relations when you returned home. In your case you mentioned that management had not contacted you and nothing was done to address your complaints. I'm so sorry you feel this way!! We honestly felt that we had taken care of you. Guest Relations did extend you an additional 15000 Priority club points, enough for another free night. Normally we would dispute this since compensation was already issued at the hotel. But being a valued Priority Club member we did not. We hope that when you use these free nights your faith is restored in IHG family of hotels :)

Your comments will be shared at our next staff meeting we can do a bit of brainstorming on how to keep our teams quieter when entering the hotel at night.

Best Regards,
Christy Owens

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was an above average hotel for the price. Hotel staff friendly, helpful. Breakfast the best I've seen in a long time, with plenty of options and always in stock supplies. Rooms OK - nothing super fancy and plenty of space. We had the King with pull out sofa for 2 adults and 14 year old. Nice to have sink, fridge in room. Walking distance to eating, shopping, but not really a walking path (newer area). Smaller pool but adequate. I didn't care for the sheets - but not really an issue. Great ourdoor area to sit in good weather.

Room Tip: There is a small elevator and a stairwell to the front lobby. I normally ask for a room away from t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank thellik
Christy o, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments! We love hosting teams and I'm happy to hear that were able to meet all of your needs. I appreciate your comments regarding the 2nd floor door, in the future we are going to leave it propped open to eliminate the slamming at night.

We hope to see you and your family again in the near future!!

Christy Owens

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Had stayed previously (several months ago) and was not bad, I hope management reads these reviews, since I really think there is room for improvement.

The good:

* Staff members in general are very nice and always aim to help.

* Received a package and was notified via voice mail it was available for pickup at the front desk.

The bad:

* Defective furniture (one drawer was usable, but in bad shape). Reported it to the front desk, still it would be better if this was inspected when the last guest has checked out.

* Not being consistent with the daily newspaper delivery (I asked and was told it was not the hotel's fault, I understand this but it gives a negative impression).

* Overlooking little details, for example not replenishing some breakfast items as yoghurt or boiled eggs (some people need to hurry to work in the morning, asking for these takes additional time). This happened twice during my stay.

* Partial Room service. They changed towels, replenished toilet paper, even took out the trash, but the bed was not made. When I asked I was told the person that did it has a “history”. Why would you keep a person like that?

The ugly:

* Inconsiderate guests. The hotel does not have control over this, still I phoned a staff member to check on the room above (it sounded as if they were in the middle of an aerobics class from 5:00 AM to 6:00 AM). Staff member said she would check it out, but did not provide an answer; when I visited the lobby a couple of hours later and asked for a room change I was then told: "I checked, but did not hear a thing" (I doubt she checked the right room, but would have appreciated if she would have visited my room to check out the riot or at a minimum to have informed me prior to my lobby visit).

* The TV. They seemed to have changed recently, since the staff members struggled to change batteries from the gym's remote. It takes 6 to 12 seconds to change channels (depending if you go one by one or input a channel number) and while you wait you get a black screen. When I accidentally skipped a channel and wanted to go back it frustrated me.

The hotel has signs in the stairs that they want for the guests to rate the hotel experience as "excellent", I hope they pay attention to these details, since I really like the location and the friendly staff.

Stayed from September 9 to the 20th in room 221.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Alejandro_B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Alejandro_B,

Thank you for your feedback with reference to your recent stay at the hotel. I am delighted to know that you had a good experience with our hotel staff. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with some aspects of our hotel services, amenities and noise from our other guests. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

The front counter staff were exceptional, friendly, helpful and accomodating.
We stayed in a suite for a couple of weeks. The sofa bed was terrible - thank heavens I had brought an air mattress to put on top. Cleaning was very poor - crumbs left on TV console for days and tissue box in bathroom empty for 3 days. Elevator and laundry room seemed like they were never cleaned.
The dog potty area had a receptical for "bags" that was overflowing for many days. Several of us told the staff to no avail. One guest was told that it was not their responsibility - it belonged to the hotel next door - yet we had been directed to use it. As receptical was full less "waste" was picked up.
Breakfast was late two days. We were on a tight schedule so this meant we missed it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Susan H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am delighted to know that you had a good experience with our front desk staff. Please accept my deepest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day especially with the cleanliness levels at the hotel. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.

Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 6 days and used points. My husband was working and even though this isnt the closest to the General Motors plant, a lot of workers stayed there. We dont smoke indoors but they upgraded us to a jacuzzi smoking room. The room stunk like stale smoke eveythong in the room smelled like stale smoke. I did my normal routine of wiping down door knobs, remote etc... And the cloth was yellow from that lack of cleaning of this particular smoking room. The bed was compfy and even though I just had coffee,they do put out a nice looking breakfast. They also bake fresh cookies every night and they are yummy. The only other complaint would be the tv. They have the sound locked so some channels are really loud and some you can barely hear. I didnt talk to anyone that works there until I said "goodbye" this morning!

• Stayed: August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear froggeede,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for leaving us a feedback. We are honored that you chose to redeem your reward nights with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the unusual smell of the room and overall cleanliness. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We arrived late with tired kids and no reservation...front desk staff were exceptionally kind and accomodating: I wish I'd gotten their names. Agree with comments that carpet was rather dingey but the room was otherwise exceptionally clean and comfortable. Plenty of hot water in the shower. There was a lovely courtyard outside our room but we didn't have time to enjoy it. The breakfast had the largest array I've seen in similar hotels with cheese omelets, a funky machine which made pancakes; also, there were biscuits and gravy, sausage patties, etc. Much better food than the place we stayed the next night that touts its hot breakfasts! Staff throughout our stay were lovely...can't say enough good things about them! Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2012

not quite a 4 but deserves more than a 3.....my son and i stopped here for the night on a road trip.....we made our reservations online about 5 minutes before we got there and the only room available had a king size bed.....at that point we didn't care...or at least i didn't care since i was the one driving......when we checked in the manager was able to accommodate us with a room that had two queen beds.....i was very grateful for that....the rooms were comfy and spacious enough for us....the breakfast was ok....not much different than what you would find at other hotels but had a good variety of choices....it was enough to get us on our way....the only negative that i can mention is that the wi-fi didn't seem to be working.....at least not in the room we were in....i tried with my laptop and my son tried with his and even with the smart phones we couldn't seem to get a connection going.....other than that it was a decent hotel for a decent price.....would stay again if i was in the area....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear 1yolanda,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased you liked our spacious rooms and breakfast. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. However, I apologize for the inconvenience the internet services caused you. It is the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you,that would enable us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near O'Fallon
Hilton Garden Inn St. Louis/O'Fallon
#3 of 7 in O'Fallon
Courtyard St. Louis St. Peters
Courtyard St. Louis St. Peters
#3 of 5 in Saint Peters

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Louis West-O'Fallon? Share your experiences!