“Loaded Fries filled us up!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ethyl's Smokehouse

Ethyl's Smokehouse
Ranked #4 of 192 Restaurants in O'Fallon
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hazelwood, Missouri
“Loaded Fries filled us up!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stopped by for a late lunch on a Sunday. Place was busy with several groups celebrating something. Nice atmosphere with TV's distributed around to watch sports. We started with an appetizer of loaded fries. This was a very large platter of steak fries smothered in real cheese (not a cheese sauce) and crispy bacon. Topped off with sour cream, this was a home run. It was $6.99 and feel it was a bargain. I ordered a half rack of ribs. They were meaty and with the addition of sweet bbq sauce provided at the table, they were tasty. It came with two sides and I went with beans and slaw. The beans were somewhat simple and the creamy slaw was good. They seemed house made but not sure. Both the wife and daugther went with cheesburgers and they bothe had mac n' cheese as sides. They enjoyed their choices and really liked the mac side. It looked bought in to me, but not sure. With two sodas and an iced tea, the tally was $48 before tip.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank JrBill

Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NOT BBQ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Went there twice, the first time I figured it was busy that's why the food was very mediocre, so decided to go back when it wasn't so busy. The best part of my meal was the potato salad. The brisket was dry and very bland. Being from Texas we take BBQ serious and this is not real bbq. It seems like people were there to party instead of eating.

• Visited September 2013
O'Fallon, Missouri, United States
“Smoky, Seedy, Dive Bar”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Mediocre food and service. Ethyl's is loud and has such a pervasive smell of smoke that I had to launder my clothes as soon as I got home.

• Visited August 2013
Nashville
“I'd Go Back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We dined for the first time as part of a large party. The service was friendly and attentive. I ordered the brisket and it was a little bland and dry but the BBQ on the table was so tasty that it made up for the deficits of the entree. The accompanying onion rings were delish. Two in my party ordered the ribs and said they were tender and yummy. One member of our party ordered the BBQ nachos and received an overly generous amount of food. The kids in our party cleaned their plates, reporting that the mac and cheese got a "thumbs-up." Several of us ordered the baked apples as a side item. Normally a big fan of sauteed apples at other BBQ places, we found that Ethyl's apples fell short and none of us finished them. Overall, most of the food was tasty and we would return to the family-friendly atmosphere.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank CubH8tr
Muddy Water, IL
“Wish we could have tried the food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

On Sat. Nov. 16 we (4 adults & 2 kids) arrived at 5:10, sign in window said "Immediate Seating". Hostess said to us "I don't know what we're going to do with you. I don't know where we'll put you." Not a very welcoming greeting! To summarize, we left after waiting 50 minutes & talking to the manager, who told us we would just have to wait. We could see an empty table the whole time we waited but were told it was reserved but they didn't know for who or what time. A party of 7-9 that arrived after us was seated before us. 2-4 people were seated immediately so tables were not saved to make room for us. We also didn't think they took reservations. 4 very upset adults & 2 hungry cranky kids walked out. We were very disappointed we didn't get a chance to eat.

• Visited November 2013