“better than I expected”
Review of Gordon's Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tehkummah
Gordon's Park
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for the long weekend and I am impressed! One of my best camping experience yet
I got to stay in one of their tipi which was a very cool experience for me. They got fully functional kitchen for you to cook everything and provides you with pots and pans.
economic shower was one of the coolest experience for me.
At night, I must say, I have never seen so many stars in my life! Felt like I was in a movie.
Staff are all very friendly and very educated about all the animals and astronomy. They Really Ll very willing to help!

Highly recommended and if possible, I would definitely go back again because I didn't get a chance to enjoy mini golf and swimming in the heated pool

Room Tip: Ask for camp site 11 or12 to be close to the facilities or tipi number 9and 10
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mzjulz

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Gordon's Park is a great place for camping. The sites are large and clean and come with a picnic table and an extra table we used for cooking. They had an amazing comfort station where you could cook and wash dishes. They also had cabins and teepees which looked really cool. It was probably one of the cleanest washrooms in a campsite we have ever been too. It is really nice that everything is eco friendly. The showers are a bag that you fill up with water and that worked really well. We also LOVED the night sky. We participated in the Thursday Astronomy Night and saw a lot of constellations and the Milky Way. It was breath taking. Everyone is so friendly as well and very helpful! There is a lot of work still being done to the park, so it's only going to get better. We will defiantly go back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adrianna R
Reviewed July 21, 2013

What can one say about camping here except awesome! We loved every minute of our adventure and I can honestly say it is truly an eco friendly park. If you really care about the forests and the wildlife and of course the STARS then this is the campground for you. The staff and owners are very friendly and helpful. We learned alot about nature here and how to truly appreciate it. Great place to go and I will be back again. Thanks folks for a truly wonderful time!! Nancy W

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Gordon's Park is an exceptional adventure for students to enjoy. The owners/hosts and staff are very knowledgeable, courteous, and eager to impress the minds of students. Rates are quite reasonable and our day was adventure filled! My grade one class enjoyed all aspects of our visit...the interpretative centre, the hiking trail, the mini putt, and the fantastic playground. I highly recommend Gordon's Park for class trips as it is a very remarkable place!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gayle P
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I attended the "Women's Outdoor Weekend". (July 12-14) It was an absolutely AMAZING time, and I can hardly wait to go back.(The plan is Sept. for the "Dark Side of the Moon" weekend.) I was very impressed from the minute I stepped into the office, until the time I left. One can really see the LOVE and effort Terry and Rita have put into the park over the years. Most buildings, including the decking around the solar heated pool, were built mostly from wood milled and planed from the property. Terry even hand quarried the patio stones..(FOSSILS) in the pool area.I believe, even the gravel on the roadways in the park come from the property.
Paul, the park manager, gave a wonderful talk in the interpretive center before he did his laser star tour. He brought out the binoculars and a huge telescope. I Could never have imagined that I would have seen Saturn, (including the rings) up so close, and personal. (all well enjoying the wine and cheese WELCOME campfire. The nature hike we had was an experience to remember as well. I learned so much about fossils, trees, etc.

This does not even begin to talk about the drumming circle, foot baths, crafts,amazing food, great new friends...etc,etc.

Guess Gordon's eco park has only been on Trip Advisor for a little while. As I write this, they have 17 reviews. All, except 2 are extremely positive, if not EXCELLENT. In reading the two negative reviews.

THESE people DID NOT DO THEIR HOMEWORK before booking at Gordon's. (if they wanted a "city experience" MAYBE they should have booked in at a local motel) oops, I don't know if there are any 'BEST WESTERNS" on the island. I am sure that there are campgrounds more to their liking though. (there is also a B&B onsite, if that is more your style)

I checked out the website again before writing this review: It CLEARLY STATES. That the cabins are "sleep cabins", the showers, are ECO SHOWERS...the washrooms are PRIVIES...(the cleanest, ones I have ever encountered. Not a bug or spiderweb in sight. Also NO offensive odour) The women's weekend included my wonderful meals, but I was impressed with the facilities in the summer kitchen, right down to the dishsoap provided at the sink.

The website also CLEARLY states that the INTERPRETIVE center is FREE for overnight guests. OF COURSE there should be a charge for the use of the pool, and mini-putt. (it costs money to maintain both of these things, and some don't want them.. It is a very nominal fee to have these extras, if wanted) Cost of overnight and wood? (Very REASONABLE,in my opinion)

Rita, Terry, Paul, and staff work very hard to make your stay a very enjoyable experience. They leave a very little "carbon footprint" on this wonderful planet. (in which I felt so "small" when I looked up at the beautiful night sky)

I could not have asked for a more WELCOMING and WONDERFUL weekend than what I just experienced at Gordon's.

Keep up the fantastic work, and I WILL see you again soon. Can hardly wait till Sept.

Room Tip: Had my 'swedish massage in one of the bunkies. (looks fantastic, if tenting is not your style...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Donna J
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have stayed at Gordon’s Park every summer for the past three years and have enjoyed every visit so much that I plan to return every year for as long as Rita and Terry are around to provide such exceptional hospitality and extensive knowledge of the natural history of Manitoulin. Whether you’re interested in geology, astronomy, hiking, biking, birding or just relaxing by the pool, at your spacious campsite or around the campfire, this is the place for you. The dark sky preserve at the back of the property, at which annual star parties and weekly or private astronomy sessions are held, allow for unparalleled night sky viewing and the extensive trail network offers exposure to the natural flora and fauna of Manitoulin Island.
I STRONGLY recommend the Women’s Outdoor Weekend, which provides you the opportunity to play, create, move, learn and relax through participation in a wide variety of activities and workshops, offered by local experts. Some of my personal favourites included building a birdhouse, stamp carving, going on a treasure hunt, circle dancing, foot scrub and a guided nature walk. And did I mention the FOOD? All meals are included and DELICIOUS. I don’t eat that well at home and there was a huge variety from which to choose. I was so full after every meal! What a rejuvenating weekend for the mind, body and spirit.
Can’t wait until the next visit 

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Annika P
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Over the years, we've camped in our trailer on the astronomy field at Gordon's park many times. We love the dark skies and rate them in the top 2 or 3 sites we've been to across the US and Canada. The geology is like nothing we've ever seen and the nature walks and talks are conducted by experts. We've also made many friends from the wonderful, friendly people we've met there (staff and campers). We appreciate the eco-friendly showers and find them more than adequate. The on-site store has convenient supplies and souvenirs. The star parties always begin with a wine and chees introduction. Great fun! Great friends!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Terry T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tehkummah
Manitoulin Hotel & Conference Centre
#2 of 2 in Manitowaning
The Hawberry Motel
The Hawberry Motel
#5 of 7 in Little Current

Been to Gordon's Park? Share your experiences!