“One of the most expensive Hiltons in the world (for sure)”

The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Iru-fushi
Reviewed January 4, 2011

First off let me say that the Hilton brand name does not do justice to this island.

This is my first ever stay in the Maldives so as a result I have nothing to comapre it with.

The first thing u will see/feel/pay is the seaplane transfer to the hotel. 420USD roundtrip is a very steap price to pay for such a 60min journey per person (this has be to be one of the best yield producing airlines in the industry)

Speaking of prices this resort is not cheap. They have a 10% service charge fee on everything, and I would actually call it unfair that they even use the 10% service charge on the room rate itself. In my case that was 65USD per day just for the service charge on my room plus 8USD bed tax per day.

Haveing said that this is the most negative thing I can recall from my trip. The island is gorgeous and the beach villas (this is the lowest category room type on the island) is amazing. The most amazing part is the openair bathroom which is twice the size of the living area. It also has a very strong sensual/sexual atmosphere to it too. Couples should love it.

Personally I think the beach villas are more useful then the over water villas since u have ur very own beach infront just 30 seconds walk away.

The rooms are equipped with Bose sound system and flat screen TV. They also have free internet in all rooms. The speed is mega-slow so don't even think of using skype for phone calls. Just to slow for that.....and most of the time it didn't even work.

The food options are good. The main restaurant is the IRU where they serve everything bufe style. The breakfast is ok but I missed some vegetables and coldcuts. Apart from that the cooking station for eggs is great.

There are options to fine dine in the a la carte restaurants but I never tried that. Ended up in the IRU every night for dinner. The food is very good. It would be hard not to notice the strong sri lankan and indian influence of the region. If curry is ur thing you are going to love this place.

I was fortunate enough to attend the new years eve dinner which was spectacular. Its not often u feel that the chefs put in their heart and soul into what they do and also feel that saving money on the buffet was no factor. Let me say again:The food was amazing and the staff did a great job. Also worth mentioning that the hotel put on a fireworks display that was simply spectacular.

The only area of complaint for the other "normal" days could be the lack of tropical fruits. That could have been more expanded to my likeing....and dessert wise I think the island could do with a better pastry chef (and GM being french should know what good pastry is)

Activity wise its clear that diving and snorkeling is paramount. Now I don't do either so I ended up renting the kayak (free of charge) where u can go around the island. For that matter u can also walk around the island. Takes about 40 minutes. There is a good gym and also options to play tennis and all sorts of other sports. Question is will u want to do it when its 35 degrees C.

The island has 2 big pools. One mostly for families with children and one for the adults. Both pools are gorgeous...and trust me I have seen a few pools in my life.

The island is only 2 years old. The flowers and trees make u feel ur in a well groomed tropical jungle. And ofcourse there is a wide selection of wildlife as well. At night I would recomend using the flashlight from u room. U never know what kind of animal u might bump into along ur walk home in the evening.

I would come back here for sure but only when the price/experince ratio becomes more down to earth. For my taste/budget this is a very overpriced.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank GPeto
JSKling, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2011

Dear Guest,

First of all it was a pleasure to have you with us during the festive season. I also enjoyed meeting with you during your stay.

You are very thoughtful and kind to take your valuable time to explicitly detail your perception of your first visit to these very remote islands of Maldives. Yes, these islands sit here like diamonds in a paradisiacal tropical environment surrounded by unbelievable pristine water. Hilton is very proud to be part of what is marveled by many but amazingly still unknown to so many people in the world.

Let me paraphrase a few things you mentioned:

• The island is gorgeous and the beach villas are amazing.
• The food is very good and the staff did a great job.
• The New Years dinner was spectacular.
• The fireworks display was spectacular.
• Both pools are gorgeous.
• The flowers and trees are a well groomed jungle.
• Diving and snorkeling are paramount.
• I would come back here for sure.

When it comes to the economics and logistics of making this all take place, where virtually nothing is manufactured, then the cost of it all is often supply and demand.

Please enjoy this New Year and hopefully a return business trip.

Jean-Sebastien Kling

Write a ReviewReviews (2,173)

Reviewed January 4, 2011

We just returned from our honeymoon which included a visit to Iru Fushi and we are completely satisfied with the hotel. We stayed in a horizon water villa which was worth the extra cost with the sunset views and great snorkeling right from your balcony. Of course as all the reviews state it is expensive, but as long as you are mindful of this you can keep it under control.

For drinks beers were your best bet at $5 each, and some good wines were $40-50 which is pretty standard for a upscale restaurant. Cocktails were $12 each but very good and large. We would not recommend going full or half board as we were not impressed with the buffet at $50 each. For about the same cost you could get a great a la carte meal at any of the restaurants, plus a much better atmosphere on the water or beach. You can also keep the food costs down by having some dinners at one of the pool bar/restaurants. We found after a big breakfast (which is included) and with the hot weather we were never very hungry at lunch so usually split a dish. We highly recommend the sashimi platter and burger by the reflections pool. For dinner all were great but our favourite would have to be the grill where you eat right on the beach. The tuna steak and snapper are great choices. Also the seafood platter at the Asian restaurant was the best price and included lots of seafood including a whole lobster and a couple crabs.

All of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. It was very interesting speaking to all the locals they hire from the nearby islands. Their english was good and they loved to speak about their experiences and hear yours.

We loved the water villa and found it very clean. All the grounds were kept very clean even after some high winds one night as the grounds are cleaned continuously each day.

We did some diving which was great despite it not being the best area of the Maldives for this. The shark point dive was our favourite with the most life, and of course sharks.

The Maldives was an amazing experience for us and we highly recommend it for anyone, the pictures don't lie. Iru Fushi was a great value compared to the other 5 star resorts. We can't speak to how it compares with it being our first visit, but it was worth every penny. We will return in the future.

1  Thank Kula11
JSKling, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience and your practical approach in order to stay within a budget while enjoying all the amenities we offer here at the Hilton Maldives Iru Fushi Resort & Spa. We are glad that you had a great stay and plan to return in the future. As you said, it was worth every penny.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

I stayed with my wife and 5 & 3 year old children at the Iru Fushi in December for 12 nights. At $350 per night for a beach villa with breakfast this resort represents great value for money. I have stayed in other really good 5 star hotels in Mauritius and Thailand and this really is the best hotel I have ever stayed in for toddlers. The kids club was fantastic and the staff really enjoyed having children around. Our kids had an amazing time particularly at the cookie baking class and christmas tree decorating session. Santa arrived by boat on 24th December and brought presents for all the kids. They were also allowed to travel for free on the Lucky Sunset Dolphin Cruise. We saw lots of dolphins, and were offered complimentary Champagne and canapes...this was a nice touch.

Every morning we had the most amazing beach just a few metres walk from our villa. It's better to be on the quieter side of the island, however the whole island is beautiful.

On 3 nights we used the baby sitter service. It's good value at US$10 per hour and we had total confidence in the staff...really kind and gentle with the children.

The Spa was absolutely amazing. My wife and I had various treatments with Ivy and Ita. They were both from Bali in Indonesia and so professional... really deserve a mention. I've had a sports injury for almost a year and Ita really helped me a lot. My left arm feels so much better now.

I've read some of the complaints about this resort and if you're thinking about going you should really ignore them. The staff at this hotel are exceptional. If you actually take time to talk to them and show some interest in their country they'll warm to you, and the service will be excellent. It can be a bit slow at times, but the people are just relaxed. It's the same in many island resorts. I suggest staying for a minimum of 10 days particularly if you're coming from far away. It takes a good 3-4 days to recover from the jet lag, really start enjoying yourself, and adjusting to the slower pace of life.

The food was generally very good but not excellent. Considering the location and the fact that everything has to be imported, I thought the chefs did a fantastic job, and the meals was good value. We spent about US$300-350 per day for the four of us on food and drinks and ate really well. We tried all the a la carte restaurants (our favourite was Trio) and attended the lobster and champagne evening. If you're on a budget use the in villa dining service. There is a 10% service charge on all food bills and for spa etc. It's a good idea to also give a tip if the service was good. It's really appreciated, but there's no pressure to do so.

The rooms were really very well equipped. You could not have asked for more. There was even a dental kit, detergent, bathrobes for the kids, waterproof jackets, umbrellas and life jackets. You really don't need to bring that much in your suitcase. I noticed some people went barefoot for the entire holiday, also at the restaurants. There were a few ladies in high heels, but not for long ! Generally people were dressed very casually.

It's worth sending an e-mail to the hotel before you depart to find out what you need to bring and what you don't need. They'll even send you an e-mail of the restaurant, diving centre and spa menus so you can plan how much you'll need to spend. Don't buy any alcohol in duty free as it will be taken away from you at the aiport on arrival.

The climate was fantastic. Never too hot or too cold. it was 28-30C during the day, 26-28C at night. Use high factor sun cream as the sun is really intense. It's very easy to get burnt.
There were a few mosquitos but the island was fogged regularly, and mosquito repellent and plug ins were provided for free in the rooms. The restaurants were also happy to offer you mosquito spray if needed.

On Tuesdays there were free drinks, cocktails and canapes for all the guests at the main Water Edge bar from 6-7pm. The staff attended and mingled with the guests. A really good idea.

Finally, at the end of the 12 days we really could have stayed for another month. We really felt at home, made good friends with some of the staff and also a couple of families with kids. It's perfect for families, couples and groups of friends. There's really something for everyone at this resort.

Please go. You'll have great time !

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Rico838
Reviewed January 4, 2011

we spent a week at Hilton Irufushi during December 2010 and choose this resort after much research online and reading other comments on Tripadvisor.
We were looking for a resort that offfered alot of activities for older teenagers particularly also motorised watersports. This hotel is ideal for activities and also a honeymoon paradise as well.
The highlites of our stay was:
SeaPlane journey offering fantastic view of the islands.
Great beach with the whitest of sand
Crystal clear water and fantastic snorkelling -- We only snorkelled within the house reef and were more than satisfied
A variety of restuarants to dine at and good food at fluid pool and invilla dining
Spacious beach villas with direct beach access and snorkelling outside your own room
Lovely ispa bathroom in the beach villas
Ambience of the Waters Edge bar and night entertainment
The Spa
Fantastic weather during our stay ( 12-19 Dec)
courteous and helpful staff
Very nice tour of accomodations by our representative Moeez
Nice beach villa location on Northern side of Island

the negatives:
Food expensive ( but that was expected)
Unavailability of watervillas at time of booking but discovered there were villas empty during our stay.. however beach villas were very nice and convenient, spacious ,so It was a bother to have to move again.
Watersports was pricey.
No lifeguards at the resort and all water activities are entirely at your own risk so beware when snorkelling etc.. dont go alone and always let some one know where you are.
Mosquitoes galore.. my daughter sustained 65 bites despite regular use of repellants and mosquitoe coils.
Red ants in the room.
WIFI only available at the Fluid pool and Watersedge bar, ... ( though internet is available in rooms)
Despite being a hilton honors member I was told I couldnt earn any points because I had booked through an agent. This was understandable but I had run up quite a bill on food, spa treatments and extras like watersports yet this wasnt considered . ( i am member of other hotel programmes and always earn points for xtras regardless of who I book through)

Overall .. Our experience was really good and this is a very good resort for water and fun activities which I enjoyed as well. It is also ideal for honeymooners and anniversary getaways for couples and private enough for those looking for a romantic getaway.
I would recommend this resort most certainly as it is beautiful, spacious and alot of fun.
Would i visit again?... Yes I would but the Maldives has so many other 5 star and unique premium resorts which i would like to visit as well in the future.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank zabo

Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for taking your time in expressing your activities during your family holiday on our island. As with you, it has often been noted that our overall amenities do create a lot of guest delight which is very pleasing for us to hear.
You concluded your commentary very well by saying, “Our experience was really good and this is a very good resort for water and fun.” Your children as well as you must have had a lot of pleasure engaging in our various water sports including snorkeling at your doorstep.
Your special acknowledgement of your villa attendant will be heart warming to him and others as they read this. They do have an innate ability which is priceless in creating comfort and satisfaction for our guests.
Please enjoy this New Year and of course we would cherish your return visit.

Reviewed January 2, 2011

Hello,

We planned this trip last minute, limiting us to choices of resorts we could stay at (considering that we came during the Christmas/New Years Holidays), but I am glad we has this option available, because the island was really clean and smelled nice (I kept commenting on the wonderful scents to my husband). I have always wanted to go to Tahiti, and my husband said that Maldives was similar, but less crowded and touristy. I personally did not care, as long as we got to stay in a water villa in a lagoon.

When we got to the island from the sea plane, and we were immediately checked into our hotel - so I think the turn around time just varies from day to day. The water vilas were beautiful & spacious. Our jacuzzi didn't work, but someone came right out to fix it. The decor in the rooms is a little flat - with everything being white - it could use an injection of colors to compliment the breathtaking setting in which the hotel is situated. Nonetheless, the service was impeccable and I have no complaints about the accomodations.

There is a full gym, with AC (thank god!), a place to rent movies in different languages and a cyber cafe. The rooms have internet access. The televisions tune into channels in different languages. I always like to keep up with the news in the US when I am traveling abroad and it was nice to have access to CNN in the rooms. Also, you can check out books from the cyber cafe. The place is beautiful, but one can only be out on the beach for so long, so you will REALLY appreciate the forethought in providing for different types of entertainment.

After we settled in and I immediately got into my bathing suit and jumped into the water. Unfortunately, as the other reviewers have commented, there is very little to be seen. This may be the fault of my own overactive imagination, but I really did think the water would be full of sealife. Nonetheless, the turquiose blue water right outside the villa is amazing to see, and worth it!

My husband and I SCUBA dive and we were pleased that there was a diving school available at the resort. The diving was reasonably priced, and the dives themselves are pretty cheap. You will do yourself a favor if you bring your own equipment, save a few bucks. There is one dive site where you can see reef shark, really a wonderful sight!

The food was pretty good. Our issue was thta my husband does not eat sea food, and we both prefer to eat vegetarian, really limiting our options. The food here is expensive, especially when you don't eat a lot of the foods offered, and you are better off ordering room service items. Buffets are 50/ person, per meal - once again, a little pricey for the offerings.

Finally, my biggest complaint is that the Hilton sort of a has a 'rules are rules' mentality towards guest services. I understand a 12 pm check out time on a mainland hotel since guests can travel around a city prior to leaving on a plane. But as we are stuck on an island, until we can take a plane to get to the main airport, it seems a little ridiculous to kick guests out of their room, out into 90 degree weather for six hours. The alternative was to pay a half room rate for late check out (at 700 dollars, we decided to take our chances on dehydration). I would understand if the rooms were full and another guest was ready to check in, but the rooms were not full.

I think overall, the island is very beautiful, and the experience was amazing. I just had a little bit of sticker shock at the price of food and drink, considering that there were no alternatives. We have travelled a fair amount, and this was certainly one of the most expensive places as far as food and drink was concerned. This would be the one thing that would keep me from coming back to Hilton Iru Fushi, or recommending it to others. Frankly, when you bring guests to an island, from which they cannot get off, it is important be up front about costs, or offer lower cost options.

Oh yes, one final thing - the pillows are super plush and nice, but if you have neck problems, bring your own!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
JSKling, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2011

Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed so much of what we provide for our guests. As you may have noticed, we are just a pin point sitting in the middle of the Indian Ocean far from any mainland which does create logistical reality and requires everything to be imported.

As much as you overall enjoyed your visit, I regret you experienced some disenchantment. These things will be addressed so we can create immediate greater guest comfort.

Please enjoy this New Year and thank you for saying that our island is beautiful and the experience was amazing.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

We spent Christmas in Iru Fushi and we loved it. Spending 5 days in a Horizon Water Villa which was great, spacious and had all comfort. We loved the Jacuzzi on the terrace and also the fact that we can start snorkling from our watervilla. Service was very good, food was excellent (mainly the wine dinner in Flavors restaurant).

We spent a great holiday in a piece of paradise. Snorkling was great, mainly when you start at the diving center, following the rope.

On our way back, we were welcomed by a guide who guided us around in Male. Mustapha was a great guide who showed us some interesting places in Male and explained us a lot of interesting stuff on the history of Maldives. Just excellent. And for free (of course we tipped him).

Some small minus points :

There are excellent flat screens in the gym, though all the cables are just laying there, not connected. No one seems to bother. Also the running belt is in bad condition and need some repair. There is clearly no shortages on personnel but nobody seems to bother.

Second minor point is the reception. There are armies of personnel hanging around the PCs, the documents, etc. Though, all organization is missing. My interpretation is that there are too many people around the reception and that nobody has clear tasks and duties. Clearly a management issue.

Both points did not really disturb us and we were very happy with our Holiday.

Dear Guest,

It is so pleasing to hear you say, “We spent a great holiday in a piece of paradise.” The island environment, our facilities and service have provided a lot of satisfaction for our guests which are what we strive for in exceeding their expectations. However, there can be circumstances where a guest may notice renovation or a reorganization of tasks taking place, such as you have. It is additionally pleasing that this did not really disturb you and you were very happy with your holiday.

We wish you the best for this New Year and hope to see you on a return visit.

Reviewed December 21, 2010

The reasons for my review is based on many good experiences at 5* hotels/resorts and i felt compelled to write as the accomodation was extremely poor and very dissappointing on the 3rd leg of our honeymoon.Definately not what you would expect from a 5* resort.

The accommodation was absolutely diabolical,dirty,dated,plug sockets not working,unkempt,shabby furnishings.
The senior management were rude,very delayed in their approach to solve issues that arose daily.
The cleaning staff needed to be reminded to clean the unexposed places which had gathered weeks of dust.Generally tried their best.
The catering staff were accomodating,although the food was very expensive and overpriced in comparison to other 5* resorts.
The beach areas were moderately clean,required further attention.
Furnishings were shabby and did not appear oppulent.
Many guests complained and were often fustrated by the management style.

If you have stayed in a variety of 4/5* hotels this will be a huge dissapointment and we would not reccommend this to anyone ever.Absolutely awful!

Maldives its self is beautiful and if you are looking for a 3* accommodation we would reccomend the Kurumba.We would advise you research your accommodation prior to booking the Maldives,as we had high expectations and high standards and were sorely dissapointed.
Good luck !

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lancs12345
JSKling, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2010

Dear Guest,

This most candid commentary from you is very much appreciated. The exceptional is possible to happen and I assure you this will thoroughly be researched as to how this could ever take place for one of our guests.

I want to express my deepest apology and regret that corrective action did not adequately take place to your satisfaction. We will immediately and seriously delve into this.

We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to make the necessary changes in the service we provide. I would like to further learn details about your experience during you stay in February 2010 and invite you to contact me at: info.irufushi@hilton.com.

Jean-Sebastien Kling

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iru-fushi
Cheval Blanc Randheli
#1 of 1 in Kanuhura
Hurawalhi Island Resort
Hurawalhi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Hurawalhi

Been to The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives? Share your experiences!