“Spacious, cleam, comfortable rooms”

Harrah's North Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Myers
“Spacious, cleam, comfortable rooms”
Reviewed November 11, 2008

This hotel is new and the rooms are very nice. I had a comfortable king bed that had an overhead lighted headboard, and plenty of pillows. The only negative for the bed were the sheets that must have been a very low thread count as they weren't very soft and felt flimsy.
The bathroom has a wonderful, roomy, separate glass shower. However while the marble floor is beautiful, be sure to place your shower mat outside the shower before you try to walk on that floor wet. There are great shelves next to the vanity to store your stuff out of the way. There is a toilet closet with a door and large soaking tub. One additional item is the magnified lighted make-up mirror on the wall. It is great. There is adequate storage but one thing I noticed is that this is the only casino hotel where I have stayed where they did not have an in-room safe.
Other than the casino and restaurants, the hotel has no other amenities. I found the Italtian restaurant to be almost inedible. The buffett was just what you would expect but the steakhouse was excellent, but not cheap.
The casino was fine and had several self serve beverage areas. They do charge for alcohol even when you're playing and wait staff was very scarce. The casino plays very loud msuic, so loud that one night I actually had to leave. Combine that with the noise from the slots and it can get to be too much.
There are some other restaurants within a short drive and the casino is about a 20 minute direct shot from the airport. They have free parking and valet is $5 without tip. It would stay there again.

• Liked — Bathroom had everything you could want.
  • Disliked — No in-room safe
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank sendmehome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Omaha, NE
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Don't expect the Bellagio or MGM...but OK for "North Kansas City". Decorating is a little dated but our rooms and suites have always been very clean. Steakhouse, "The Range" , has a great menu. Affordable..... and entrees include a great selection of side dishes and a salad bar that you will love. Toby Keith's Bar , on weekends, can be lively and has a bar menu. New Italian restaurant that I've heard is good. Typical casino buffet. Free parking. Small indoor pool. Cash for cocktails in the casino. Missouri has different alcohol/ comp laws than what you might be accustomed to. We enjoy our get-aways at Harrah's.

• Liked — Clean and great restaurants
  • Disliked — No comp in casino
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
jasper ga
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My husband and I had a business trip to Kansas, and it was my birthday so we decided to stay at Harrahs. We are accustomed to the Harrahs that are in Mississippi. I was shocked to find out that they offer "no free drinks". The casino itself was the smallest I have ever been in. We have always been treated well at Harrahs other locations, this was very different due to the gaming laws in MO. The rooms smelled of smoke with poor ventilation. The bathtubs didn't drain and were not very clean.
On the night of my birthday, they comped me a Hogie. The other locations of Harrahs have excellent food, including the Paula Dean Buffet, that is all free based on our play. We played and bet the same as usual. but they must have different rules about that as well in MO. We actually ate out locally, and saved a lot of money by not gambling. I would never reccomend this casino/lhotel to anyone.

• Liked — departure
  • Disliked — really, everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank aadams747
Oklahoma City
Reviewed September 9, 2008

My wife and I decided to do a weekend getaway. We choose Harrahs to stay at because of pur previous experiences in Vegas. We first made reservations online, and than drove the 5 hours to get there. Upon check-in, we were told our room that we booked online was not available and if we wanted to stay there, we would have to take what they give us. No apology given, no offer to attempt to resolve the problem. It was late and we took what they had.
When we went down to the casino, we had multiple machine malfunctions. When I was directed to the casino cage by a slot attendant to redeem a ticket the machine would not take, I was told to go to the automated machine, that since I wasnt a diamond card holder they would not assist me. The cashier than told me "go now, there are people waiting behind you". There was no one else in line. It was just my wife and I.
After this we decided to call it a night and get some dinner and just return to our room for the night. We ordered food to go from the little diner at the entrance of the casino. When we got to out room and opened our food, it was all wrong. When we called the diner to inform them, they told us to bring the food down and they would replace it. The diner is not real close to the room. Again, no apology, no offer to fix what they did wrong.
The next morning when we went to the front desk to try and get the room we booked online, we were told No that we couldnt move rooms because they were booked already. Wasn't ours booked as well when we made the reservation online??? Still no apology or any attempt to make the situation right.
In summary, dont stay at Harrahs in KC. The staff is the most uncaring group of individuals I have ever dealt with. What ever happened to customer service? Even though several mistakes were made on there behalf, never once did we ever hear an apology. There was NO attempt to ever correct their mistakes. The online reservation system is useless and meaningless. They have totally forgotten the fact that the customer is what makes them money. This is one customer who will NEVER step foot on that property again.

• Liked — Rooms were big and clean.
  • Disliked — Online booking is useless. Staff is rude and uncaring.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank starshockeyfan
Kansas
Reviewed August 27, 2008

My wife and I recently (July 31, 2008) stayed here during one of our extended Weekend trips. I booked the hotel online our Harrah's member card and reserved a Non-Smoking room for a Thursday night for $49.00. We arrived a bit later than expected (8:50pm) and went straight to the check in counter. The lobby was beautiful, had a marble look with dim, warm lighting. The front desk clerk informed us that they didn't have any non-smoking rooms available and that they couldn't promise a preference for online reservations (lesson learned: Call your Reservation In!). I pressed the issue a bit at least hoping to get a room upgrade or another comp for our trouble, but the front desk didn't seem to interested in my distaste for smoking rooms. She was a new hire, though polite, so I accepted the smoking room.

We had room 535 in the Atlantic City Tower. It was obviously smoky smelling, but not as overwhelming as we were expecting. The room was clean, though the floor had a handful of noticeable cigarette burns. The room had two Queen size beds, both with nice linens and plenty of pillows. The beds were moderately comfy, not the best but tolerable. The beds were short, I'm about 6' tall and my toes were right at the edge. The room had a large 36" CRT TV with basic cable (which is fine as we never watch TV less for the weather on trips). The bathroom was very nice with marble-like tiled floor. A granite vanity with a large, framed mirror. The tube was large and deep and had an hour glass shape. My wife gave it her full approval (she loves baths). The toilet had super flush that seemed to shake the floor when you flushed. There were plenty of towels, Coffee, a Coffee Maker, Shampoo and Conditioner, and the room had a fantastic air-conditioner that had the room ice-cold.

The hotel has a variety of restaurants in it. We ate at The Range Steakhouse after dropping our stuff off in the room. Not that it mattered for us, but it is quite the walk from our room to the Casino/Restaurant area. The restaurant staff was very friendly, though our waiter was a bit messy in appearance. We both ordered the Prime Rib (22oz) and sides, which came with a salad bar. The salad bar was average having everything you would expect as a meal compliment. The tables had fantastic artisan French style flatbread to snack on while you wait for your food. Our meal came out in around 15 minutes, though there were few guests as it was nearing closing time. The Prime Rib was ok. My wife's was just about perfect, but mine had a bit too much fat on it. The sides were terrible, the potatoes seemed to be overcooked and the spinach was the same. We both agreed that the prime rib was a 3.5/5 based on our past experience. The restaurant itself was nice, dim warm lighting with beautiful artwork on the walls. Our booth was comfy and private.

The Casino itself was very nice; there were a good mixture of table games, classic slots, and newer video poker machines. Having the Casino where your hotel is was great and allowed us to play as late as we wanted and to crash in our room when we had spent enough. I have one bit of advice: spend some time playing at the table games, you'll lose your money a bit slower and meet some new, interesting people! The Casino area was smoky, but very well ventilated. They had free soft-drink stations throughout the area. It is very large with two levels. We had a great time. We both set a limit before going, and spent it and called it a night.

While we didn't use the pool, we checked it out on the way back to our room. It is apparently open very late (it was near midnight when we checked). The pool is very large and had a good sized hot tub right next to it. It wouldn't be a bad place for the kids to spend some of their time.

The night itself in our room was fairly quiet. Every once in a while I would hear a super flush of a nearby toilet, but nothing that a person couldn't ignore after a bit. In the morning I did hear someone in heels walking on the floor above our room, which was a bit annoying when one is trying to sleep in.

After we got around for the morning, we checked out of our room and headed down to the Restaurant area to check out the breakfast buffet. This is a fantastic buffet, they have everything you could ever want for breakfast. Come hungry and you'll surely get your value. (I think it was around $8.00 or less a person). They had Skillet stations, fruit smoothies, french toast, oatmeal, doughnuts, biscuits and gravy, ect. It was all very fresh, clean and organized. I wholeheartedly recommend it if you are really hungry (our meal was enough for us to skip lunch less a snack).

Overall a good stay, worth it for our price, but it certainly wouldn’t have been if we paid more. A quick review of my Greats and Mistakes:

Greats: Bathroom, Breakfast Buffet, Pool Open Late, Diverse Casino right in the Hotel

Mistakes: Smoking room when expecting non-smoking (Front Desk failed to go above and beyond), Short Bed, Bad Sides at The Range

-Austin

• Liked — The Breakfast Buffet
  • Disliked — The Smoking Room and lack of motivaton of the front desk clerk.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChelsieAndAustin
Rolling Meadows, IL
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Due to Amtrak delay we arrived at Harrahs at 2:30 am on July 3rd. I was to receive a special promo price through Harrahs. There was some minor problem. The manager came out and gave me all three nights for the lowest dicounted rate a Platinm player could get. We were happy.
He put us in a ini suite in the Las Vegas Tower. Quite and comfortable. Everything went well.
The buffett was excellent and complmented several people about the atmosphere and selection.
We had dinner at Toby Keiths and the service, food and staff were outstanding.
We had dinner at the new Italian Restaurant and the baked spaghetti was incredible.
My wife and I throughly enjoyed ourselves.
Other reviews I read made me leery but I went in open minded. I wold go back in a Kansas City minute.

Gregory Swiderski
Rolling Meadows, IL

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Should have shuttle service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Kansas
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Our most recent stay at Harrah's NKC was my first in the Las Vegas Tower. Previous stays had been in the Atlantic City Tower, which always had nice, hotel-sized rooms, with everything I needed for crashing after a night at the tables. The Vegas Tower was much nicer, and well suited to a night out with female company (easy there, it was my wife!). The room was huge -- we could have played tennis in there. It also was nicely appointed with marble, comfy furniture, and a large flat-panel tv, and the bed and pillows were very sleepable. I do remember seeing 'separate tub and shower' noted in the room description, but it wasn't separate ... no big deal, but I was surprised it was together. That said, you could park a UPS truck in the large bathroom. The view is of North Kansas City, because that's what is out the window when you are in North Kansas City, and I suppose you may get a view of the river and/or the Downtown Skyline from a different, pricier part of the tower. All in all, we were very pleased with our stay ... the room was clean as a whistle, there was endless hot water (although it is SO soft that you can barely get the soap off of you), it was reasonably quiet, and it was .... comp'ed. It would have been a great room even if we paid for it.

• Liked — The enormous, free room.
  • Disliked — The too-soft water, but that's being REALLY picky. No real issues with it.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
La Quinta Inn Kansas City North
La Quinta Inn Kansas City North
#4 of 4 in North Kansas City
Hampton Inn Kansas City/Downtown Financial District

Been to Harrah's North Kansas City? Share your experiences!