“All around great experience”

Harrah's North Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Florida
“All around great experience”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We spent four days at the Harrah's Resort & Convention Center in North Kansas City and overall, we had a great experience. We stayed in the VIP room, #504 and had a lot of contact with Harrah's personnel.

Everyone was very polite, friendly and courteous and we had the Buffet three times and each time, it was prepared in an excellent manner. The room was top-notch and one of our best times was when we spent 90 minutes during a welcome reception in their VooDoo lounge, although the music was a little too loud for my liking.

I skipped any gambling during this trip, but my wife played Roulette and the Black Jack/3 Card Poker tables and ended up leaving with an extra $600. The rooms, casino and overall entire property was well maintained and everyone treated us very professionally. It was a great experience for us and we would recommend this facility to all of our friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
daniel c, Front Office Manager at Harrah's North Kansas City, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for a great feedback. We hope you come visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
Clive, Iowa
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Visiting an ill relative but had to leave the hospital early. Arrived at Harrah’s North KC and

1.) Informed of a early registration charge; 2.) Did not have my king bed reserved. Cleet was rude saying “We don’t guarantee that. You’ll have to take what we have”; But you can’t go elsewhere because they’ll charge you for the night. 3.) Room key didn’t work. Went back down and got another. Didn’t work. Called from the elevator lobby. Sent up two more. Didn’t work. Sent more. Finally got a couple to work. 4.) And that “luxury room”? More like what I would expect of a poorly placed Super8. 5.) Next morning called to have car at front door. Didn’t happen. Had to ask again.

The hotel service was poor, the room overpriced and treated badly by staff. Harrah’s has millions of customers. But there are lots of options in the KC area. BTW, this isn’t what I’ve seen at other Harrah’s locations.

On the bright side I had a VERY nice steak/lobster combination dinner in the Range Restaurant provided by an attentive and pleasant server named Ashton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Dennis J
daniel c, Front Office Manager at Harrah's North Kansas City, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I am very sorry for your bad stay at Harrah's. We always try to accomadate bed types as well as special request but sometimes we fall short. We will for sure check with the agent as being "rude" is never allowed. Our focus is to always offer other options when you stay here. Please call me directly on your next visit, I would be happy to get you the room to your request.
Ankeny
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The front desk staff were very friendly, and made sure we had everything we needed. Asked for upgrade, and gave us a great room. Room was large with flat screen T.V. Room was very neat and clean. Bathroom had a shower with the tub on the side.The only negative was the charge for WI-FI. Will stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your five star rating, please come again.
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have stayed here numerous times over the years. The latest being this last weekend for a concert at the Voodoo lounge in Harrahs. The rooms are always clean and convenient to the casino. The Las Vegas tower rooms are newer and nicer and with a little play can always get a comped room.

We used to be Diamond with Harrahs but the casino has become tighter and tighter the past few years so now we settle for Platinum which still gets us comped Junior Suites but no longer the nice large Boulevard Suites. Oh well, times are tough so I guess they have to make their money too. Still always a good time and you can't beat a free hotel room even if you lose in the casino!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
daniel c, Manager at Harrah's North Kansas City, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Mustang, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a Junior King Suite in the Las Vegas Tower this week, and our immediate impression was that this room is better than the rooms at the Rio and Paris hotels in Las Vegas. The bathroom is large with twin sinks and has double doors which close off the light from the bed, which is a great feature. The bed was on the firm side but was passable.
We spent some time in the Harrahs casino, and while in town also went to visit Isle of Capri and the Argosy casinos. I have to say that while the Argosy is decorated equal or better than most of the casinos on the Las Vegas strip, the Harrahs wins my vote based on the simple fact that the Harrahs does not have the strong smell of cigarette smoke like the other two casinos.
I've seen the other complaints about the slots at Harrahs, and almost shared their concerns except for the very nice win I had on an old Reelin and Boppin machine in the back of the room.
We will stay here again on our next visit to KC.

Room Tip: Las Vegas tower - Junior suites are large and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
daniel c, Front Office Manager at Harrah's North Kansas City, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back and visit again.
Mountain Home, Arkansas
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was apprehensive because of some of the reviews of this place. It was a pleasant surprise. The hotel is nice; roomy, modern, well-appointed. There are some classy restaurants: the Italian and Steakhouse, particularly. Of course there is the ubiquitous buffet and a coffeehouse. The placement of the restaurants, lounge, showroom and casino around an atrium is a neat touch. The place has pizzazz.

Then there is the casino. In a friend's words, it it a penny trap. 2/3 of the slots are pennies, and if you go into the place after breakfast you won't find any table dealers. Later you will, but the tables open are combinations (which I don't get): blackjack and 3-card poker. And, in total, there are less than a half-dozen. The locals tell me that they took out many of the machines to make way for the penny slots. The casino is small to begin with; I have not (in any other casino) seen 50-cent slots in the high-limit area. There must be big profits in the pennies, because one sees so many, but they are a downer to me.

If you are at Harrah's KC for some event or attraction, the place will please you. If you are there to take your chances in the casino, be aware of the limitations. It is a trend, that the corporate powers have gone toward the pennies, but personally it does not work. The employees were nice, the place is attractive, and the layout is interesting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry you did not like the casino. All our slots even the penny slots go in due to how popular they are. Come back soon and I am sure newer non penny slots may be here.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband and I flew to Kansas to visit with our daughter. We decided (ahead of time) the last two days of our trip, we would spend at Harrah's with our daughter. The drive there was 2 1/2 hours from Kansas, but it was only 20 minutes from Harrah's to the airport. It was convenient for her to drop us off at the airport the day of our departure.

We booked a Junior Suite that was located in the Las Vegas tower. It was gorgeous! We've had a Junior Suite at Harrah's Las Vegas, but this was much nicer. The bathroom was the highlight. It was huge. Two doors to enter, like a master suite. Double sinks, soaking tub, separate room for the toilet (with a phone). The bathroom alone was bigger than some rooms I've been in. There was a pull out sofa bed as well. Even when staying in an executive Suite (Harrah's Las Vegas), this bathroom was phenomenal in comparison! The walk to the casino wasn't so bad, depending upon what you are used to.

The downside was housekeeping. We had the "Do not disturb sign" on the door. Obviously, this doesn't mean anything here. My husband and daughter were going to breakfast the first morning, (I don't do breakfast) and they were asked when leaving the room if our room could tended to. My husband responded that I was still in the room and he would call when we wanted service. Okay, fair enough. On the way back from breakfast, same question from housekeeping. Um, he told that same person we would call when ready.

The next morning, same scenario. They went to breakfast, when leaving AND coming back, same inquiry from housekeeping. Then, my daughter and husband went out shopping right after breakfast. Again, the sign is on the door. Once again, upon departing the room, he was asked if the room could be made up. AND, once again, he told them I was in the room and he would call when we were ready for service. While my husband and daughter were gone, don't you know that housekeeping was banging on the door?

Really? I'm on vacation, trying to relax. I know you have a job to do, but please leave me alone. The same person was told countless times (nevermind the sign on the door) we would call when we needed service. I loved the room, but I could stay home instead of being nagged such as I was. When housekeeping did do the room, they didn't touch the pull out bed. Didn't make the bed at all.

This casino doesn't comp alcoholic drinks. They do however, have beverage stations where you can get free water, sodas and coffee. A very nice touch.

My husband and I play video poker exclusively. There are two bars with video poker. One on the first floor, and one on the second floor. The bar on the second floor only has a few machines and it is very cold there. If you are looking for video poker on the floor, that is only available on the second floor.

We didn't fare as well at this property as other Harrah's properties, although my husband did win $1,000 for a hand of four aces with a kicker.

I have mixed feelings about this property. We did have a nice meal at the Range Steakhouse, and a subpar meal at 810 sports zone. (see reviews) I never compare apples to oranges, but housekeeping stood out in a bad way. We did leave a tip anyway.

The Corner Grill was wonderful. Reasonably priced and good food. Most employees were friendly. Laughlin and Tunica still have a leg up on that though!

I would only return (and only for one night instead of two) again, if I was visiting my daughter. It was convenient to get to the airport the day we were leaving.

Room Tip: Beware of being nagged by housekeeping.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hampton Inn Kansas City/Downtown Financial District
816 Hotel
816 Hotel
#23 of 109 in Kansas City

Been to Harrah's North Kansas City? Share your experiences!