“No hot water”

Harrah's North Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 7, 2008

I am a small business owner in the Kansas City area and have stayed in local hotels only a few times. Thank God!
My wife of 34 years and I decided to have a date night and go to Harrahs North Kansas City on 2/02/08. Check in went OK. Upon arrival at the room we noticed it was not cleaned very well.Glasses in the bathroom were dirty, tub had stains and mirror in bath was dirty.
We got over that and went gambling. When we returned we decided to take showers because of the cigarette smoke from the casino. This is when we found out the hot water did not work. After trying to call the front desk for over 1 hour we took cold showers. Sunday morning we tryed the hot water again and it was still cold.
When ask how our stay was I explained "we had no hot water last night or this morning" The young lady at the counter replied "I new we didn't have any last night, but I did't have any compaints this morning" She just acted like it was no big deal, and almost normal. Well, the man next to me said he didn't have any either and had complained. I have 85 employees and shared my experience with them.I hope someone at Harrahs reads this and makes needed changes in hot water and attitude at the front desk.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank briceusa

Reviewed October 24, 2007

Stayed in the Atlantic City Tower. I thought the room was fine. It was big enough, clean, the beds were comfortable, nice bathroom.

Location is fine. It's fairly near the airport, and close enough to the city to be able to get out and look around easily.

A little pricier than I would usually like...I guess I need to gamble more so I can get the comps!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2007

We spent one night in this hotel/casino and found the rooms to be nicely furnished. My husband loved the huge TV in the room. The bathrooms made you feel like a Royal! Just a word of caution about the casino-VERY smokey. We had to isolate our clothes from the rest of our bag the next day.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2007

We have stayed at the North KC Harrahs many times. While we have generally been pleased with our accomodations, our last visit landed us in a room with a a very uncomfortable bed that made loud cracking noises with every minor movement. If you are allergic to feathers, bring your own pillows. If you're not allergic to feathers, bring your own pillows anyway. Many of the feather pillows have more spines than feathers in them and are often crunchy and uncomfortable. When I mentioned the lack of synthetic/foam pillows to the desk clerk at checkout I was unapologetically told to bring my own pillows next time.

On a more positive note, the rooms are generally clean and we have had very few problems with reservations. The casino is one of our favorites in the KC area and the dining choices are adequate. The room rates are generally very reasonable.

If you want comfortable bedding and a choice of pillows, Ameristar is a better choice. They had foam pillows delivered to our room within 15 minutes of making the request. Ameristar is usually a little more expensive and it is often more difficult to get reservations. It may be their superior customer service that keeps their hotel full.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank OnTheGoUSA
Reviewed July 31, 2007

My husband and I stay at Harrah's in Kansas City about 6 times a year; we make reservations usually directly with the hotel, on the hotel web site, and we always get our rooms comped based on our play. We are not high rollers, either. We both have platinum cards now, but I've been diamond and earlier this year was busted down to gold because I didn't play as much last year. Still got the free rooms, though.
We usually get the premium rooms, and we stay in the Las Vegas tower usually, which is newer.
The hotel rooms are a long way from the casino, so if you are disabled or have trouble walking, consider driving yourself up to casino door or bring a motorized wheel chair. The hotel has regular wheelchairs to loan, but someone has to do the pushing. We aren't disabled, but I know this can be a consideration.
The Atlantic City Tower on the weekends, should you have to stay there, are often occupied by young people and partiers, and it is not unusual to have the alarm system activated at 3 a.m. This happened to us twice before, and now I will not stay over there. Nothing worse than having your heart nearly stop when the alarms go off and you just got to sleep.
Both were false alarms.
The casino is OK - we've been other places, and this one is about as good as any. I really like it better than Las Vegas.
As for the rooms themselves, they are plush and have upscale furnishings and decor.
The low-end rooms are somewhat less plush, and the beds can be lumpy, but we never stay in those rooms.
Overall, very good experience and I highly recommend Harrah's for players who can get comped. However, I wouldn't want to stay here if I just wanted a room. I'd stay in a motel down the road, because they don't have good TV - they now have wireless Internet service, but it is expensive, at $10.95 a day. They have pay for view movies, also high. Their cable service is basic without HBO or Showtime.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I have stayed here a couple of times previously and everytime is an outstanding mini-vacation! The staff was very courteous. The rooms are excellent and spotless. One tip I would give anyone (got this one from the Travel Channel during "VEGAS WEEK") ALWAYS ALWAYS call the property directly and you can negotiate deals. It works! Plus, you are sure to get the room(s) you specify. I loved it so much I'm taking my boss and a couple of the other girls from the office for a weekend in July for a girl's weekend away! The casino was terrific. The ONLY thing that I didn't care for was their over-chlorinated pool and hot tub, but I've only been to the pool once ever. I'm not a pool enthusiast, but if you are you may find the pool a little over intoxicating from the fumes from the indoor pool & hot tub.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Adena K
Reviewed September 10, 2006

Stayed at Harrahs on Sept.8th,was going to stay longer but needed a place closer to Overland Park. The hotel itself was nice.I had a room on the atlantic city side which i wanted one on the las vegas side but hey cant win them all,
The room was not as large as i had hoped and being it was the premiun ,which was suppose to be larger, i would hate to see the other.But i survived. The room service was a decent price as was the valet parking,but you can walk 20 yards and park your own car? The casino was decent(no vegas) but ok for KC and the bar prices were not to bad.
Now would i stay again???? maybe, But im not a big gambler so the hotel might not be best for me and my money but if your a gambler it will do.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
La Quinta Inn Kansas City North
La Quinta Inn Kansas City North
#4 of 4 in North Kansas City
Holiday Inn Express North Kansas City

Been to Harrah's North Kansas City? Share your experiences!