“Pleasantly Suprised”

Harrah's North Kansas City Casino
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Made our first trip to Harrah's last Saturday afternoon. Our first impression was "Wow, it's really smoky in here." Our next impression was "Their ventilation system is terrible. Nothing like Vegas." After that, found some video poker machines at the back on the first floor and settled in. Chairs were comfortable. The machines seemed to be new with flat panel screens. Nice surprise vs what we typically see at many of the Vegas casinos. Not much luck with the video poker, so we moved to a bank of penny slots. My wife's third spin resulted in a $163 win on a 40 cent bet. Not bad! I quickly won back the money I lost on video poker too. Cashed in the big win and we played on house money for the rest of the day.

No drink service in the first 30 minutes so we walked over to the bar. Mixed drinks were in a small plastic cup for $4.50 each. The bloody marys we ordered were average.

Table games aren't our thing, but there was plenty of action at them and some big wins by the sounds of it.

We wandered around the first floor without realizing there were more games on the second floor. Played for a couple more hours and left $35 ahead.

Will we go back? Yes, but primarily because of Total Rewards. If we're going to gamble close to home we want our points to get us free rooms or meals in Vegas.

If you're sensitive to smoke, go somewhere else. It really is terrible with smoke.

1  Thank Eldon R
There are newer reviews for Harrah's North Kansas City Casino

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The payouts aren't at all like Las Vegas - video poker machines fairly stingy. The staff are extremely friendly, but the drink service if you are out on the casino floor is slow. Not a great air filter system . . . pretty smoky. They do often have promotions going on if you are a Total Rewards member.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel as they are fairly expensive, but did stop in to gamble. I had a good time playing Let It Ride and actually won about $200. The dealers were friendly and seemed to enjoy themselves. We were there about 3 hours.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Took an 800.00 budget 2 times and it was gone before I knew it. I always want my budget to last for a while. Not at this place. It is no longer fun when this happens. I thought the first time was a fluke but when it happened the same way on the second trip I knew it wasn't me. Had to go to Ameristar to recover part of my loss.

2  Thank ricky b
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My family and I stayed after the 4th of July weekend. We came more for the area attractions but thought staying at the casino would be a great idea for some mom and dad time in the evening. We're avid roulette players and spend quite a bit of time playing. Our options were limited to 1 table witha broken screen. Casino had 2 tables BUT they chose to let the broken screen table play. We had crowds of people around the table but the casino never opened the the other table. Afters standing crowded at the table for almost an hour were were finally asked by a waitress if we would like a drink. We ordered and 20 minutes later they returned and asked for us to pay for them...normally at the other casinos we play at, drinks are never paid for while sitting and playing tablegames, nor do they take an hour and a half for service. We gambled the first night and staff was rude, service poor and tables were limited. At one point we had a dealer who could barely speak english and miscounted winnings 4 times.

I understand the avid slot player may think this is an okay spot but for a table player its less than desireable. 2nd night we traveled a couple miles down the road to thier competitor and service and table play were phenominal.