“Food, server and restaurant just ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Red Barn and Grill
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Joplin, MO
“Food, server and restaurant just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

A friend recommended the restaurant, so my husband and I decided to try it.
The service was just ok; the server acted like she had better things she could be doing. No one was friendly or acted like they were glad we were there.
The restaurant was very busy making it very noisy and loud. People were talking loud to be heard and you could hear the cooks in the kitchen talking even louder. There were two little kids running freely through the restaurant and the third spent the whole time crying and screaming, while mama did nothing and dad was engaged in a conversation with someone else, totally blocking out the kids.
The server plopped the food down in front of us and was never seen again. No, that’s not right; we did see her again, cleaning out the men’s restroom. The food was ok, nothing that special. I had what was listed as grilled salmon on the menu, but it wasn’t grilled. I’m not sure how it was cooked. My husband had the country fried steak. He made the comment my gravy was much better than theirs.
My review is that this restaurant is just ok at best, I would rate it poor to average. We tried it and now we know.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank angela_k_page

Joplin, Missouri
“Terrible Service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stopped in with a client, as we were told this was a good place to eat. The server never came back to check on us. My client wanted to add the salad bar, but the server never showed up again until she brought the food. Then we never saw her again. Our drinks were never refilled. When I asked the checkout girl for a receipt, she said they didn't have reciepts, but could give me the bottom of the ticket. I hadn't seen what was on the bottom of the ticket, so I wasn't sure what she meant. Then she started yelling and making snide remarks under her breath.
The food was way too expensive for the type of food that it is, which is just home cooking.

5 Thank martin_abby
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“GREAT HOMECOOKED FOOD AT A GREAT PRICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

Don't expect a fancy resturant. This is simply wonderful food in an atmosphere that feels like Grandma's house. We stopped on our way home from Phoenix. We had eaten at a LOT of restaurants- this was one of the top two!!!!! GO THERE! Well worth the two minute drive off the highway!!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PAW88
Springfield, Missouri
“Outstanding baked goods and great soup on the buffet!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Very nice value in a relaxed environment. Salad bar is not spectacular but it gets the job done and the beef and potato soup on the buffet was delicious! The baked goods were all fantastic. Just the rolls (served with whipped honey butter) were worth going back for.

• Visited May 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MO
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“On I-44 Near Mount Vernon Missouri -- Eat HERE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

The building's not much to look at but notice all the local cars in the parking lot! A loaf of fresh homemade bread at your table and a menu full of favorites like the hot beef sandwich will make you glad you stopped. A surprise was the gumbo. I've not had better and I've been in Louisiana many times. Don't miss this out of the way eating treasure.

• Visited June 2011