“Never Again!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mark Twain Landing

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monroe City
Mark Twain Landing
Kansas, United States
“Never Again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

First off, I had not planned on submitting a review because I was torn both ways. The grounds were very nice and clean, however, the Rustic Cabins, not so much. It seemed as if they came in and just dusted a bit and left. They smelled awful too. Plus they are by the sewer treatment plant - which they don't tell you or show on the map - so you don't knew that you are going into a stinky mess to begin with.

The staff was friendly with the EXCEPTION OF MANAGER PAULA. The owners of this facility need to know the business she loses due to her horrible managerial skills. This is the ONLY REASON I felt compelled to write this review. Otherwise, I would have left the little things go; i.e. dirty cabin and sewage smell. Because we were very happy with the playground, pool and Splash Landing. Unfortunately, HORRIBLE customer service just doesn't cut it.

So, I sit here and write this unfortunate review because after arriving home, I see they have charged my credit card an additional $100. Upon speaking with Paula, she indicates someone "urinated" on the mattress. Funny thing because one BED my husband and I slept with a pillow top that we brought ourselves and the other BED was used to lay luggage on because the floors were filthy. My kids, ages 7 and 8 slept on the futon. I and my husband personally inspected the cabin before leaving and left it in better condition that it was given to us! Wiped everything down and swept.

However, our cousins, two doors down, during this trip did have urine in their cabin and by the way, the HOUSEKEEPERS were very pleasant in helping them get rid of the odor. So, PAULA you say we urinated on the mattress and you charged us $100 to replace it? Hmm, what did you do about replacing items causing the urine smell two doors down.

CONCLUSION: Is this how you make extra money on your premises? By charging people with "fake" charges? I can 100% GUARANTEE OUR CABIN WAS LEFT IN BETTER SHAPE THAN ON DAY 1.................

Please take these reviews on Trip Advisor serious. It's a great site and VERIFIES all reviews. I just wish I had read them before we booked out cabins. We rented 6 of their 12 available Rustic Cabins, obeying their "long list of rules", left the cabins clean, and instead of appreciating our business and welcoming us back, we are left with a $100 charge and false accusations. I sure hope no one else has to go through this.

3 Thank FURIOUS-FURIOUS
Brian S, Public Relations Manager at Mark Twain Landing, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank for you taking the time to leave us a review. First, let us apologize both for the delayed respond to your comments and for your experience. Paula is no longer with us and the rustic cabins you stayed in during your trip have now been completely remodeled. We are constantly working to make improvements and while we might not win back your business, please know that are listening to you and all of our guests now.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Saint Charles, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed at Mark Twain Landing with family. We did not have any unpleasant staff members. They all seemed friendly. The only draw back I could see is the lay out. Since the deluxe cabins are on the other side of the campgrounds from the rustic cabins it made getting together for dinner and late night camp fires a little difficult. Especially with a one year old that needed to get to bed.

Other than that it was peaceful and relaxing. Splash Landing wasn't huge but it was good enough for cooling off in the hot sun! Plenty of beer and fun with the family helped to make it a great getaway.

It is not a royal palace but it is suppose to be camping. Sure the wifi didn't work all that well but it is good to disconnect. That is the whole reason to go!

I think we are booking the same week next year but will get cabins closer together.

Room Tip: You can not stand up in the loft in the deluxe cabin and the stand up shower is tiny! But the view...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We truly are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Can't wait to see you again this year. You'll have an even better time as we have made quite a few upgrades!
Topeka, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I visited Mark Twain Landing with my extended family (several adults ranging from 30-60 yrs old and kids from 2-13 yrs old) for 3 nights. We rented 3 deluxe cabins and 2 golf carts.

The cabins are basically single wides outfitted to look "cabin-like." They are very clean and had central A/C. Each cabin had a screened-in porch (but access to the porch was a pain as the only way to get in was to go all the way through the cabin to a separate door. With kids taking naps, this was problematic. 3 of the other cabins had their own doors directly to the porch). Each cabin also had a stove, oven, refrigerator/freezer, and bathroom with a shower. Pretty good for "camping."

The cabins did heat up quite a bit in the late afternoon and that made it quite unpleasant indoors.

The amenities of MTL are abundant...sand volleyball, playground, water park, paddle boats, game room, craft/activity room, golf carts, mini-golf, a restaurant and gas station, a climbing play area for bigger kids and more.

The staff was great. One of the golf carts wouldn't stay charged and they quickly replaced it with no issues at all. We have multiple interactions with the staff and found them all to be knowledgeable and pleasant.

The water park was clean and well-staffed. Lots of water slides for bigger kids and adults, plus a lazy river, wave pool and even a tiki bar. They had two separate areas for little kids, which our two year old LOVED.

The only downside is that if it had rained during our trip, I'm not sure what we'd have done. There's really nowhere air conditioned to go for long periods of time and just relax/read a book/etc.

Overall, I would go back but not with kids under 2 as there aren't any suitable activities for that age group.

Room Tip: The deluxe cabins further from the playground have outside access to the porch but have a concrete p...
1 Thank mangobtl487
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We really appreciate your thorough comments showcasing all the different parts of our campground and water park. We do have a game room and an indoor theater that is air conditioned as well as a meeting room that you are more than welcome to use on a return visit if it would rain. Hope to see you again soon!
Missouri City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

This campground is an awesome place to visit. Its very clean, RV sites are large with concrete pads, fun activities, a large water park that is just super fun to be at. The grounds are very well kept, the staff is very friendly, takes care of issues immediately. Great place to take the family
fun for all ages.

1 Thank Sophiee S
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so glad to hear you had a wonderful time staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
St. Louis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have gone to this campground in the past and were looking forward to it again. We reserved 3 nights and got our confirmation via email. We wanted to extend our stay by one night and called but we were told we had to send a request via email. Odd but we did as asked. I asked to stay another night and received a reply back that we were already booked to leave on the night I had asked for. I sent another email and didn't hear back so we decided to just leave our reservation as is. Then I got a call that we hadn't checked in as expected and were we still coming. So I called and was told that despite not replying to my last email or receiving a new confirmation that we would be charged for the extra night. I was told that the manager wasn't available to talk to me and that if I thought I was going to have a bad time then perhaps I shouldn't come at all! The lady on the phone, Alice, was rude and unfriendly. So instead of getting my money for three nights they opted to only keep my deposit after I told them we would just cancel! We found a great place to stay instead with friendly people who appreciate our business. Very disappointing.

4 Thank smeichel
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Please accept our sincere apologies for responding so late to your comments. Since your visit we have changed many of our policies to better accommodate our guests. First and foremost being that we will never ask you to send an email to change or modify a reservation, let alone make one. We'll gladly take care of everything over the phone or in-person the way it should be. We sincerely apologize for the hardship that was caused during your stay and please know we are working to improve.

Travelers are raving about these Monroe City hotels

Wentzville, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Absolutely terrible experience. The people there were very unfriendly and extremely rude. The bungalows were dirty and uncomfortable. There is no water pressure to even take a shower; in fact I am surprised the toilet even flushed. I have been here in the past and never had an issue until the recent management change. The new managers name is Paula (what a gem she is) she basically runs the campground how I envision Fidel Castro would run one, with no respect for her patrons. She was very short when spoken to and always had a terrible attitude towards me and my 15 other campers. Also do not get one of the golf carts from them because they try to make you pay for the wear and tear on the cart by the end of the weekend. The same crew as the campground runs the water park and it shows. Admission is extremely high, bar was not properly stocked, and the food is well overpriced.

As I said before, I have stayed here in the past multiple times; needless to say this will be my final stay.

Room Tip: find a different campground.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Mike B
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review Mike and please accept our sincere apologies for the late reply. Paula is no longer with us and we are doing our best to make changes to the campground that our guests have asked for. One of our most important goals is the have our managers meet the campers and ask for their input. We have also made improvements to the water park including a rebuilt lazy river, repairing two water slides and hiring professional bartenders so you can expect the drink you request. We'll also try our best to make sure the bungalows are better for future guests so they don't have the same problems you did. We might not win your business back but we are listening now and will do our best to avoid this happening to anyone else.
Peoria, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed in a rustic cabin this weekend and it was what I expected - rustic. I did not however, expect to pay almost $200 for two nights to receive so little. Basically, what it got us was the cabin, which was completely up to us to clean and provide linens and towels; a playground; a few ponds (one of which you were allowed to keep the fish but none were caught); a pitiful looking mini golf course and a small outdoor pool. That's it. I received soooo much more at the Country Inn & Suites I stayed at the weekend before!

There's more to do at Mark Twain Landing ... for a price. Tie-dye a shirt for $10, go the waterpark for $25 an adult or $20 a kid (OUTRAGEOUS!), rent a golf cart for $50/day, etc. We were really disappointed and actually ended up going into town to a great public pool for $4/person. If the waterpark were included it would be worth it but without - just a big disappointment.

Room Tip: The rustic cabins were next to water treatment grounds and it smelled like sewage.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Katie S
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review Katie and please accept our sincere apologies for the late reply. Since your visit we have made many changes to our campground including a nearly complete remodel of the rustic cabins you mentioned. We have also rebuilt the entire miniature golf course from the ground up and cleaned up both the pool and water park areas. Thank you again for being honest with your comments and know that we are listening to all of our guests and will continue to do our best to improve.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe City
Garth Woodside Mansion Estate
No photo provided
Harbor Inn
#1 of 3 in Monroe City

Been to Mark Twain Landing? Share your experiences!