“Another wonderful natural attraction in Missouri”

Johnson's Shut-ins State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Play in the shallows of the East Fork of the Black River. Shoot through Mother Nature’s hydraulics in the shut-ins. Hike a trail that will show you 1.4 billion years of geologic history. Take your horse on a pretty mountain trail. Johnson’s Shut-Ins State Park is a jewel of the system, a place with something for everyone: pretty picnic areas, Ozark landscapes, natural places to swim, great campsites.
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Johnson's Shut-ins is a wonderful natural water park. I happened to be there after huge rains in the area and the river was flowing more rapidly than normal. It had been closed the day before.
There were lines waiting to get in and we waited for 20 minutes.

Kids were having a big time and lots of families were in the water. The rapids with the big granite boulders need care when the water is high. About an hour after we left a little girl drowned according to the news. I dont know if that has ever happened before but the area had something like 10" rains and maybe 20" over the 3 prior days so the river was rapid.

Great place and a great natural geologic wonder with wonderful hiking. Recommend small children play in the pools before or after the rapids. Like other attractions in the area there was no cost.

1  Thank John S
"taum sauk"
"fun experience"
"strong currents"

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I've visited Johnson Shutins a few times in my life. Once as a four year old, once as a nineteen year old, and today as a thirty two year old. Each times has been a blast. The park staff is helpful, the water was perfect, and my boy and wife loved it. It was their first time. The park grounds and bathrooms are clean. The river is clean for the most part (some idiots still throw their garbage in the stream, but it's not bad). I highly recommend Johnson Shutins but if you have kids, keep an eye on them as the rapids are swift.

1  Thank Pinto278
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Myself, my husband and my 3 year old son all visited today. Highly recommend going on a hot/warm day after school starts as their was hardly anybody there. There were only 3 other cars when we got there at 10 on Monday 8/26.From the main parking lot there is a little bit of a walk to get to the actual shut-ins. I was quite a bit cautious with my son due to the drowning I heard about recently. It was definitely slippery amongst the all the rocks and either my husband or I always had my son's hand, he also had his life jacket on. There were some nice shallower areas as well where he could swim without us holding on to him. I probably wouldn't bring any kid younger than 3 though, just my personal recommendation. Due to the slick rocks, I highly recommend wearing watershoes or old sneakers. We ended up going to one of the day use areas to eat our picnic lunch. The restrooms were clean and odorless, picnic area was spread out and had sheltered tables. I highly recommend going, we had a blast!

1  Thank tobben15
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

My friend's daughter, 6 years old, slipped on a rock and drowned. Do not take your children here. It's every parents worst nightmare.

7  Thank ElizabethMill
See more reviews
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Amazing natural beauty. It's really fun to climb around on the rocks, and in the water, but be careful… it's not Disney World, you can get hurt. Going during the week should be the least crowded, and Sunday is usually not as bad as Saturday. Wear good water shoes with great traction. Stubbing toes and slipping and falling are common. There are also spots that are very deep, and chilly… and fun to swim around in. Don't try to carry a bunch of stuff in, because disposable items aren't allowed, and if you explore much, which you will want to do, you will either lose sight of, or have to carry all of your junk.