“Dependable if not fantastic- just what you expect from Harrah's”

Hollywood Casino St. Louis Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Maryland Heights
Springfield, Illinois
“Dependable if not fantastic- just what you expect from Harrah's”
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I have stayed at the Harrah's Hotel and Casino property in suburban St Louis over 40 nights in the last year. The hotel has two separate towers, the "Island" and the "Mardi Gras". The Island contains the "luxury" which in this case means "standard" rooms on the lower eight floors. The top two floors of the "Island" tower has more expensive suites. The lower seven floors of the "Mardi Gras" tower contain "premium" rooms, which are a bit larger and have a few more amenities than the "luxury" rooms. The top two floors of the "Mardis Gras" are also home to more expensive suites.

First, let me in no particular order list what I believe to be the positive aspects of the Harrah's- St Louis Hotel.

Friendly service from the front desk and all service people.
Comfortable Beds
Top notch linens, down pillows and comforters on the beds
Clean, modern rooms
Quiet, effective heating and air conditioning in the rooms
Aesthetically pleasing colors and motifs in the rooms and common areas.
Large, comfortable bathrooms (including large tub/shower) in the Mardi Gras tower.
Ample very hot water from the shower/tubs
Accessible free ramp parking and easily available free valet parking
Good, reasonably priced restaurants.
Easily achieved comps on rooms and food via the casino.

Now for the "needs improvement" category.

Hotel has no swimming pool.
Property is located across the road from a landfill(dump) which tends to send it's stinky air on a regular basis to Harrah's- you don't smell it all the time but when you do.... p..u
Television selection offered in the rooms is scanty at best
Water pressure from room bathroom showers is rather weak
Bathrooms and shower/tubs in "Island" tower are small.

I hope these short lists help in all intrepid travelers.

1 Thank seachild14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Harrah's for our Valentine's Anniversary. We found that if you booked on Feb 13th, instead of Valentines Day, that the hotel was very affordable! The rooms were spacious, and absolutely immaculate. The bed had fluffy, white blankets and pillows. They provided room service, and had a very nice deep soaking tub. Even though the hotel was connected to the casino, it was very quiet. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. There was plenty to see and do, and also plenty shops and numerous restaurants, offering you anything from Sandwiches to Seafood. We enjoyed our stay, and would definately recommend it!

• Liked — Fun, food,shopping, and Hotel all under one roof....
  • Disliked — No Pool.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers
Reviewed July 11, 2007

This place is pretty new and the rooms are well appointed. I too, thought it was a bit pricey. Great flat screen TV, bed was comfortable. There are beautiful marble floors in the bathroom and hallway. However, the are VERY slippery when wet. You must use your room key to operate the elevator which is a nice touch. They do have a coffee maker in the room which is unusual for a casino. The front desk staff was not very friendly nor helpful. After checking in I had to drive to the parking garage and their directions were just awful. I only stayed one night. Oh and the alarm clock in my room went off at 6AM.

One note about the casino. In order to get in the casino you MUST have a Harrahs card that they swipe. To operate any machine you MUST have a Harrah's card in the the machine. If you leave the casino and accidently leave your card a machine, you have go to the desk, wait in line and get another one. I will never go to this casino again. Talk about big brother.

• Liked — Beautiful room
  • Disliked — casino
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank sendmehome
Central Illinois
Reviewed June 11, 2007

Received free offer in mail from Harrah's. Stayed Fri & Sat. night for weekend trip to St. Louis. Got in 11pm Friday check in was a breeze. Easy access to room from parking garage. Fast elevators. Stayed on 4th floor (island tower)- view of Missouri River. Quiet room, newly renovated & spotless. Kids 5&6, thought it was wonderful. Spent a couple hours a night gambling in the casino. It was packed, mainly younger crowd(20's). Friendly dealers. Fair drink service $2.50 bottles. Cafe food good. Would recommend for anyone wanting to stay near St. Louis. We went to Cardinals game, Arch/Riverfront, & City Museum (all highly recommended) Hotel is about half hour from downtown.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
NE Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2007

Stayed at Harrah's on May 10 and 11th. Picked that casino since it was near the airport and friends said it was the best choice. The hotel was minutes from the airport. Check in was fast. The rooms were spacious and looked brand new. Our view wasn't too great, for the most part we got to look at the parking garage. But that was not an issue. The bathrooms were a tad small, but nice and we had more than enough towels.

The lunch buffet was not very good. The Range steakhouse though was wonderful. Very nice atmosphere and the steak and lobster was excellent.

The casino was very large and the smoke smell was not bad at all. Casino staff was friendly. You do have to pay for drinks though.

My only gripe really was the price of the rooms, which they inflate horribly on the weekends. Overall it was a great trip and would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed December 8, 2006

From start to finish my stay at Harrah's Hotel & Casino in Maryland Heights, Missouri was outstanding. The night before my arrival, the hotel called me to make sure I was still coming to St. Louis just 24 hours after a major ice & snowstorm hit the area. Upon my arrival at the airport, I called the hotel to be picked up by their (free) shuttle. They said it would be there within 20 minutes, and indeed it was. The driver was friendly, and made sure I was aware of how to reserve the shuttle for my return trip back to the airport.

Check in was a snap. Again, personnel were polite & eager to please. My room was on the 4th floor, in what is the "newer" tower of the property. The room was spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom area, and spacious. There were plenty of towels, an ironing board & iron in the closet, extra linens, pillows, a hair dryer, and other basic shampoos, etc.

It was quiet, and I had no problems whatsoever. Check out was again easy & fast, and my shuttle ride back to the airport was on time & ready to go.

On the property, I found eating at "Club Aroma" worthwhile. Service was fast and they had plenty of food choices. It's located indoors, in-between the hotel and the casino, with the intention of the ambiance found in a sidewalk deli-cafe. There is a "Charlie Gitto's From The Hill" Italian-American Restaurant on the property as well. Although I did not eat there, Gitto's is top notch and never fails to please. (I usually eat at Gitto's Pasta House, downtown).

This was an excellent stay, and I would highly recommend Harrah’s Hotel & Casino.

• Liked — great service excellent accomodations
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank Zoke2
Texas
Reviewed October 23, 2006

The good - The Arch was wonderful and the park they have surrounding it was pleasant as well.

The Cab drivers were very friendly. We especially liked Vladimir and William. They were more than cab drivers and have a great take on life.

The Range Steakhouse at Harrah's was great food at a great price. Eat like kings and they treat you right. Call for a reservation to ensure a booth. Moby's Tail and the Cafe Aroma were good also.

The people working the crap tables were very friendly and were more into conversation than the stiffs playing. I haven't seen a crowd that dead since watching people falling asleep at an IMAX movie.

The Fiesty Bulldog downtown was a great bar to hang out in and grab a beer.

The bad - oh, where to start since there were so many.

The Buffet - we only went the first day for breakfast and didn't go back. The food was cold and the eggs were runny. Enough said.

When we got to our room, there was a hair (not from the scalp) in the bathtub resting on the ledge. That should have been a sign of things to come...

We had loud neighbors in the room next door who decided to stay up all night and party. After two phone calls to the front desk they finally stopped but the damage was done since it took until 5am for the noise to stop.

The "Landing" down by the Arch was scary to say the least and not a place I'd want to be after dark. Mostly rundown and closed (one looks blown up) buildings and this added to the thrill of walking around there.

There were not enough towels in our room and I can honestly say this is a first for me. After the first day they restocked and provided more but it was a let down nonetheless. One bar of soup to use for both the sink and the bath was pretty sorry and cheap I thought. These cost saving measures aren't being used on the hotel, that's for sure!

There was a strange smell that enveloped the building for our entire stay. Not sure of the orgin but I could imagine and it wasn't a good thought.

Most of the people in the casino are in their 60's or 70's and you are constantly dodging wheelchairs and motorized carts trying to get to a playing table. Once there it doesn't get much better. I've never seen a more lifeless bunch in my life. Nobody celebrates when a number is rolled. The same when 21 is turned over and the blackjack dealers were awful. Again, I've never been to a casino where the dealers didn't thank you for tipping them. Here they did. Didn't understand it and stopped tipping at the card tables altogether.

Overall I'd say the trip was below average and I won't be running back to this hotel or St Louis anytime soon. It was nice to see the place but two days was enough for me and my girl. I would just add that any trip to this city should include the Botanical Gardens tour. This was the highlight of our trip and well worth the cost of admission.

• Liked — Hotel Staff
  • Disliked — The other customers
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alfredo_Cabbage
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryland Heights
River City Casino & Hotel
River City Casino & Hotel
#16 of 120 in Saint Louis
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis Airport - Riverport
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis...
#12 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Holiday Inn Express Riverport St. Louis
Holiday Inn Express Riverport St...
#14 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Homewood Suites St. Louis-Riverport
Homewood Suites St. Louis-Riverp...
#11 of 17 in Maryland Heights
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis Westport
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis...
#2 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights

Been to Hollywood Casino St. Louis Hotel? Share your experiences!