“Good hotel at a great location”

Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Maryland Heights
Reviewed May 26, 2007

I spent 3 nights at the Chalet. The room they gave me was very good. Very large with two beds and my balcony overlooked the pool (as opposed to the lake). I was on the same floor as the main lobby, so there was a little noise. I ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast one morning, and was not very impressed. The location of the hotel is great. Pleanty of restaurants, sports bars and nightlife for everyone.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Hiker114

Reviewed March 26, 2007

The outside appears somewhat rundown. The room itself was not too bad. The beds were relatively comfortable. There were not accommodating outlets by the bedside without unplugging the clock or a light. The television stations were terrible. Don't get excited about having an outside balcony as it is standing room only! The bathroom is really small. You would think a 3 star hotel would have a better, bigger bathroom. I also thought it strange that there was not a hook on the back of the bathroom door to hang clothing on while showering. You could not turn the thermostat lower than 65 degrees, and we like to sleep under the covers. At 2 a.m, there was a fire alarm so loud that you had to hold your ears while exiting the building. Of course, you had to walk downstairs, which was a challenge for anyone with a disability. The fire was a "false alarm". There were a lot of young people staying there, which included a college sports team. They were slamming doors, knocking on our door, and using very loud voices while running up and down the hallway. We have had much better accommodations in this area and will not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank KansasCityJo
Reviewed February 23, 2007

Based on the past reviews, I was concerned about booking a room here. There must have been a major renovation since the Hotel room was furnished with what appeared to be all new items.

My room was a double with two very comfortable beds, a new desk and swivel chair, an easy chair, an Armoire and a modern bathroom with new sink and one of my favorite new things, a curved shower rod. The room entrance and bath area were tiled with marble that looked brand new. While on the small side, the accommodations were nice and definitely better than noted in earlier reviews.

The AC is one of the older style (in the wall) and unless you are a sound sleeper which is aided by the sweet sleeper beds, can be annoying. Parking is another pain since every time I returned to the hotel around 6-7 PM, the lot was full either from events in the hotel or from people visiting the "mall" attractions. Fortunately, there is are several entrances other than the main one so I was able to park near my room on the far end of the building and get almost direct access via the ground floor door (Locked from 10 PM to 6 AM) and the elevator.

If it was not for the arrangement of the rooms on very long wings and the related long hikes to the front desk, restaurant, bar and the small exercise room, I would rate the hotel higher.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank skibuff
Reviewed October 2, 2006

My sister and I stayed last night at the Sheraton Westport Chalet in St. Louis and I was quite disappointed, overall. The first sign that it wasn't a quality property was the carpet getting on and off the elevator which was frayed at the edge on some floors. More important was the lack of quality in the rooms. The first room we were assigned had plumbling problems. The bathroom sink would not drain and something weird and yucky came up out of the shower when we turned it on to see if it had a similar problem. Furthermore, some of the electrical outlets were not operational. The walls were so thin we could hear the television in an adjacent room.

We called and asked to be shifted to another room and the staff kindly accmodated us. In fact, the staff were very nice. They offered us free breakfast to make-up for the inconvenience, an offer we could not accept since we had an early flight out the next morning. Whomever is running this place is certainly getting their money's worth from the people who work there!

The next room was much better, although like the first one, there was no way to get fresh air into the room. Throughout the property all the balconies that provide access to the outside are closed to guests. You cannot open the doors. So, if like me you prefer to breathe fresh air while you sleep, skip this place. You're stuck with a wall air conditioner like you'd get at the Hampton Inn!

The good things about the room: the beds are fairly comfortable and the room is likewise reasonably spacious.

The hotel does provide shuttle service to the St. Louis Airport every half hour, which is nice since the property is some miles from the airport--about ten miles, I believe. But, while waiting for the shuttle outside, the hotel has some really tacky music playing and the numerous shuttles they run sit and idle their motors for minutes on end. IThe noise level was incredibly high. One shuttle sat and idled at least a half hour. Don't these people know that idling motors contribute to air pollution? Don't they know there's a war over petroleum going on??? What a waste.

Another feature of this hotel is the Westport "mall" which lies between the Lakeside Chalet and the Sheraton Towers. It's really not much of a mall, in fact. There are some restaurants--mainly pub and beer joints with pretty low quality food, but nice places to sit outside on a warm evening. The shopping is pretty pathetic. In fact, I saw maybe two gift shops. I think the hotel oversells the "mall" as an amenity.

Overall, this hotel is not worth the money you pay. Our room was said to be a $300 room for which we paid $158. I'd take the Holiday Inn Express or even a Hampton Inn over this Sheraton for less money. You may not have the convenenice of a full sevice hotel like the Sheraton, but at least you won't overpay for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Bikeit
Reviewed May 9, 2006

This was the worst Sheraton I have ever stayed in. I don't even know where to start. It reminded me more of a run down Knights Inn, both in the decor and the quality.

First off, the hotel is located far from everything in St Louis. It's also fairly far off of the exit, down a road that winds through an industrial park. The location is not convenient to anything except the suburban hell of the Westport entertainment complex. The parking situation was terrible, as noted in previous reviews. I was also there during a prom night free-for-all. When I checked in, the woman at the front desk was very impatient and rude. I was given a room on the "first" floor (in the basement). On my way to the room, I noticed that there was trash everywhere, including empty beer cans. I noticed that most of it was still there in the morning when I checked out.

The room itself was dingy and shabby. It appears that they've just put some new furiniture into an outdated room and called it remodeled. There was dirt on the floor of the bathroom, and hairs in the sink and bathtub. There was a layer of dust on all the furniture, and trash on the floor around the bed and in the nightstand. I reported all of this to the front desk, and their response was that they'd tell housekeeping. The carpet was stained. The door lock was broken. The AC was noisy. People were loud in the hallways all night as they came in from the bars. I don't even think that the beds were the sweet sleeper beds, they were too thin and springy.

Overall, it was just a bad experience. I would expect this from a Super 8 or a Days Inn, but this Sheraton has the nerve to charge well over $100/night. It was a disappointment to say the least. I would never stay here again (and probably not at any Sheraton since I think they're really gone downhill) and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There are so many other nice places in downtown St Louis. Or if you want to stay in Westport, look into the Drury Inn- for the money, you would get a lot more amenities and better treatment there. At least the Drury offers a free breakfast in the morning.

Stayed: April 2006
10  Thank Mars_Hotel
Reviewed April 23, 2006

where to start? uncontrolled prom nite activity, small and very noisy room, interstate too close, tiny bathroom, no mirror outside of bathroom, old doors to "balcony", non functional telephone, weird air conditioning, geese honking, horrible breakfast, some staff very good, the maintenance man and one front desk person - fun area, but there are so many better places

Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank ohbo
Reviewed August 22, 2005

The infrastructure needs upgrading. Initially got checked into a room with a broken AC. Front desk personnel were detached and inattentive and unhelpful. They have two bottles of water with a note stating you will be charged $4.00 each if you drink it (not even cold). You have to go get ice anyway, get water for a buck at the soda machine.
Answered their comment card about the water being petty, which got the management mad at me. They're the ones asking for a comment, I just made a comment about the water bottle being petty. They got into this how popular that service is with everyone and that sort of thing...
I'll grant it may be popular, but it's still a petty way to make money. Charge me $4.00 more a night and give me free water as part of the room cost... wouldn't have thought it was petty. Maybe a way for local management to pocket a little extra?
Parking at Westport is crazy due to a lot of popular night spots, but you get the night spots, so if you are not there for the night spots, go somewhere else where parking isn't so crazy. (By crazy, it fills up quite rapidly in the evening). Walking from you car to the entrance I suppose is good exercise.
Infrastructure... elevator is all beat up. AC is extremely noisy. I actually turned it off because it was so noisy, then the adjacent rooms' AC were noisy enough to be bothersome. Can't turn THEM off.
Rooms were clean. Exercise room was in very good condition (maybe newer than the rest of the property?). Restaurant in the morning could not seat me (even though it was buffett style) and had seats open. Waited about 10 minutes, and left.
I cannot recommend this Sheraton to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
9  Thank QZOCK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryland Heights
Sheraton Westport Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Sheraton Westport Plaza Hotel St...
#10 of 18 in Maryland Heights
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis - Westport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#4 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Courtyard St. Louis Westport Plaza
Courtyard St. Louis Westport Pla...
#6 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Staybridge Suites St Louis - Westport
Comfort Inn St Louis - Westport
Comfort Inn St Louis - Westport
#9 of 18 in Maryland Heights
1 mi away
Homewood Suites by Hilton St. Louis Westport
Homewood Suites by Hilton St. Lo...
#3 of 18 in Maryland Heights

Been to Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!